Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on this targa please? advice needed - thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:20 AM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy thoughts on this targa please? advice needed - thanks!

Dear all,

I've always been checking out for a standard c2 coupe (tiptronic) in good condition, preferably in black interior as I think it will look less worn and holds up better over time. however, recently I've been shown a c2 targa (tiptronic) in cobalt blue with light grey interior (+ blue dashboard) which makes me ponder if I should go for it. Manufactured in 1991, it is an original car except for the change of suspension to Blistein by current owner. The car is in pretty bad shape though and I attach a few photos showing some of the issues - in essence, the car suffers from a long scratch on the right rear wheel arc (and some other scratches and dents here and there which I think a respray is necessary), it needs new rubber seals, tyres, rims (present ones are scuffed), suspension etc. and the cover of the oil gauge is broken which needs a replacement. Also, you will note that there's some rust on the edge of the bonnet closer to the foot of the windscreen on the left hand side. The owner explained that his mechanic focuses on taking care of the engine but not the bodyworks etc etc. and he's got more than one car so he has to let go of this. He reassured me that there's no serious damage to the car, not to the point of deforming the chassis although I did notice a few signs of a minor hit on the rear bumper. He acknowledged that as being a minor accident. On the plus side, owner still retains the original service booklet, manual and has the original white sticker under the hood. Air pump has recently been replaced and it does generate pretty cold aircon.

Subject to a PPI confirming that there's no major accident involved in the past, do you think this is a project car that's worth restoring? I will also ask my garage to give me a detailed breakdown of the items that need to be undertaken but in the meantime, your thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

P.S. Inasmuch I have been a fan of coupe with black interior, I somehow found this interior to be quite refreshing. The blue dash appears to be a fine extension of the cobalt blue from the exterior and the light grey seats are OK to me. I am just not sure if I should take this up as a "project car" and restore it - and I have to say targa is placed 2nd on my list just after the coupe. Coupe is easier to maintain (no detachable roof) and the lines look better. Yet I have to say I like the thick hoop of the targa (which you could see Porsche is now reviving this in the 991 model) and it's the last generation before moving to glass roof in 993.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Attached Images     
Old 08-17-2014, 08:47 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I see no irremediable damage. If the price allows for repairs, and it talks to you, go for it.

Is that a HUGE rust bubble on the right side door's lower edge?

Edit: windshield MUST come out, plan that into the cost of teh car
Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 AM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Thanks for the quick reply. By suggesting to remove windshield I am assuming that it's for the purpose of ensuring best respray / installation of the rubber seals / removal of rust?

No huge rust bubble but just some dents

Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Circled in red is best repaired by removing the fender and the front lid seal. Only then will you have a chance to perform a correct, rust-eradicating repair that'll last forever.

Circled in green is a windshield gasket lift, 99% caused by rust. Problem is, if it goes through there, it opens the way for water into the underdash area as well as the rear of the front trunk, both areas rich in (water-fearing) electronics. Plus the area is a complex architecture of several sheetmetal pressings, difficult to repair. Hence, the sooner the better.

Besides that, you'd need to have a *very* thourough clean/detail performed, to determine how damaged/saveable the paint it. You'd be surprised to see what a pro detailer can save.

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this originally a UK car as it has quite a bit of rust?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:31 AM
PorkerNW
Instructor

thanks. i actually saw these "bulging ups" on the edges of the rubber seals round the targa glass. are these similar to what has been circled in green?

yes this is initially from the UK but has been shipped out of the country since 1992/1993 and the owner has kept it away from the UK since then.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:25 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

I don't know what these bulges are under the rear window seal. They don't appear normal, and I would want to investigate. In the front it is most definitely rust, however.
All of that is repairable, but one needs to keep an eye on budget.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

This looks like a 15-18k dollar car here in the US. I see no reason not to purchase if the condition doesn't bother you. No mention of mileage.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 AM
PorkerNW
Instructor

58,000 miles or so but the speedo is down already so that's another fix required
Old 08-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I really like the color combo... and even the Targa. For cruising down the road top down it looks like a nice car.

That being said... you need some good body work done... at least.

964s are not cheap to own or run if you can't turn a wrench yourself (for whatever reason). So unless you have a budget set on the side for some work, you may find yourself storing the car until you have a little to spend on the car.

I wouldn't shy away from it for the right price.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:15 PM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like photos were taken at Continental Motor Sports (Gemballa HK).

I had a bare metal respray done for a very reasonable price back in 2010. Worth getting a price of them to take the car back and get all rust sorted while there.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

those little bumps in the rubber are either the screws which hold the black trim in going rusty and raising up or round head screws used instead of counter sunk ones, either way its nothing major to worry about as you will be removing the glass and trims to paint the quarters.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The price for a good quality respray are going up remarkably in these few years in HK.

Originally Posted by 964TOK
Looks like photos were taken at Continental Motor Sports (Gemballa HK).

I had a bare metal respray done for a very reasonable price back in 2010. Worth getting a price of them to take the car back and get all rust sorted while there.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Chokingfai
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a car's exterior and interior condition is not less important than it's engine, I cannot live with a bodyshop respray but I am good with a rebuild engine.

Quick Reply: thoughts on this targa please? advice needed - thanks!