Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Mouse - an oldie 964 to compete with 997 Cups - maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 AM
perrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit we Did change somethings on the 993 Brake Booster to fit the 997GT3RS 25.4mm master cylinder.
The M/C was put in the Lathe because the cylinder was slightly to large and the bolt pattern had to be adjusted slightly. Brake pipes were also modified. Sorry if any confusion was caused by saying no mods necessary.

The thing is the Roock cars were said to have 7cm wider track than the factory gt2evos so I was wondering if this was achieved just by rebuilding the wheels with different inner and outer halves?

Last edited by perrew; 08-01-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: False info
Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 AM
oldtimer
Racer

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Hey, love this car!!!

What benefit do the 993RS uprights bring to the table aside from the lower weight? and any rough idea on what the cost is with the associated hardware to mount them on a 964?
Is it just the 993RS outer tie rods that need to be used?
hi Jack , the orange 964C2 that I brought to a London 964 meet last year - we met up on the A3 at first filling station out from Putney - has these fitted. The main advantage is to eliminate/reduce bump steer when you set up geo. I used Chris Franklin for that.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by perrew
Edit we Did change somethings on the 993 Brake Booster to fit the 997GT3RS 25.4mm master cylinder.
The M/C was put in the Lathe because the cylinder was slightly to large and the bolt pattern had to be adjusted slightly. Brake pipes were also modified. Sorry if any confusion was caused by saying no mods necessary.

No problem, I looked at the 2 and knew right away that the bolt pattern and pipes would need to be altered, good to know that the cylinder need to be machined down too.

Some guys did a similar mod on BMW 750 m/c for use on a 944
Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The wider track comes from moving the front suspension longitudinals from the inner mounting holes to the outer mounting holes. This increases track 30mm per side for a total of 60mm.

You can further increase the track if desired by switching from 964 to 993 longitudinals, when this is done in conjunction w/ the mounting hole change you get 42mm per dide for a total of 84mm increase in track width.

The change for 964 to 993 longitudinals alone increases track 12.5mm per side, for a track increase on 25mm
Wondering if anyone has moved their longitudinals (side members) to the outside mounting holes....

I've got the 993 side members, but am wondering if I could get greedy and also use the outside mounting holes. Does anyone know if the car will accommodate a total of 42mm per side with stock wheels. I'd love to hear if anyone had done it, and learn if there were any issues.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

The c2 doesn't have the front outer holes, on the rears, so you can't move the longitudinals. I guess this was a mod for the C4 body as they used this for the turbo, WLT, and cup cars. I discoverad that when I ran inte problems with my 993 uprights. Therefore the 993 longitudinals was the only way to go. Another problem IF you had the outer holes is that the sway bar will be to short so you have to get a wide body bar. The adjustable bar used on the 964RSR are out of stock. So 993 or some aftermarket would probably work instead.

Thomas
Old 08-04-2014, 04:16 AM
964TT
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

What transmission do you use?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
The c2 doesn't have the front outer holes, on the rears, so you can't move the longitudinals. I guess this was a mod for the C4 body as they used this for the turbo, WLT, and cup cars. I discoverad that when I ran inte problems with my 993 uprights. Therefore the 993 longitudinals was the only way to go. Another problem IF you had the outer holes is that the sway bar will be to short so you have to get a wide body bar. The adjustable bar used on the 964RSR are out of stock. So 993 or some aftermarket would probably work instead.

Thomas

Every one I've seen has the outer/inner holes
here is a typical 964 C2 trunk, ignore the e-p/s pump and RS shocks mounts. The 3 holes can be seen between the pump and the gas tank, use either the outer 2(wide) or the inner 2(stock)

What was the problem w/ that required the 993 longitudinals?

You'd need fender flares to use the outer holes
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM
perrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964TT
What transmission do you use?
I think its a regular C2 gearbox. I just have a shifter from Rothsport with Golden Rod.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThomasC2

Thomas
It seems as if you might be able to use the outer rear hole with the same (only) front holes. The bolt holes on the front of the longitudinal are larger than the bolts, which could allow the rear of the longitudinal to rotate - and possibly reach the outer rear mounting hole (I'd have to confirm this). It appears that the rear mounting hole is slightly forward of the inner hole - indicating that it accommodates a rotation of the longitudinal, rather than a straight lateral movement outward.

But it is a moot point for me, if I would need fender flares to use it. Bummer, because I'd love some more front track.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

1 why longitudinals?: when I put on my 993 uprights I first did the mod that many suggest, shorten the 993 tie rods because they are too long and you run out of toe adjustment. When that worked I ran out of camber adjustment, ended up with -1,3, because I couldn't tilt the strut more, even with my RSR top mounts. Then I found a very good thread on the pelican forum from some years ago. I know you commented on that thread Bill because it was a very good analyze made by a guy how meassured every part on the front suspension 964 vs 993. He first ran into the same problem I had and finally eneded up with the difference in the longitudinals. Replace them and 993 uprights is a bolt on mod. I found a used set and now I can get all the toe and camber I want. I've never read about this here on Rennlist but when I searched I realized that most of the people doing this had widebody cars and then it's a no brainer. You can also make it if you have top mounts that gives you more clearence. My RSR mounts wasn't enough but it seems like RSAEricks were OK, I think they are Rennline, but tou can correct me here Erick!

2 Outer holes: you're right Bill. I just checked under my front hood and I realized I haven't seen the 3rd hole from above before. There's a black factory rubber plug in the hole that I thought was metal and a part of the mount. Since my car is black, everything looks black and after 23 years the metal and rubber looks the same....so a silly mistake....but you can't see the front hole from below so it is obviously covered with factory sealant. So the 3rd hole is well hidden! The rear holes are there, clean, and ready for use.

But as you stated Bill, the full wide track isn't an option on a narrow body. I do think though that using 993 longitudinals is the smartest route to take if you want 993RS uprights on a narrow body car.

3 I'm really happy with this upgrade, even if it was a lot of money. On track there is a difference!

Thomas
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by perrew
Pink Mouse thats the Gen2 build:-)
White vs Ruby one of those decisions.... well white always nice for a livery

No the side rockers I got from Cargraphics www.cargraphicsts.com
The mfg for CG said it was better to go with GFK because the Carbon fibre ones would need to be glued. But I figuered since all else is CF I didnt want to stray from that. But the body shop didnt think gluing would be such a good idea to be able to service/remove them so they went with the black screws, dont know if thats aesthetically perfect but at least functional.
The black screws look good!

I think it's Evanscott that has the sill trim and front and rear wings screwed on in the same way, I think it looks great.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM
964TT
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Thomas,

I read that same post on Pelican and almost went for the 993 longitudinals but then the guys at my shop said why?
Perhaps with my setup and Intrax top mounts I don't need it? They said I have the full range of options in my setup.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 03:49 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Wow, that was a different tie rod, that is what I call custom made! And as I said, depending on top mounts and maybe damper you can get "lucky" and get enough of adjustment. But I/you can get of used 993 longitudials for approx 200€ so I think it is an OK cost compared to the overall budget. I think this is better value to buy these because you get the track width, rather than to spend money on a used set of control arms just to get the thicker pressed bolt for the upright joint. It is better to press out, drill, press in a correct 993 bolt and use the control arms you have.

Thomas
Old 08-04-2014, 06:34 PM
perrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
The black screws look good!

I think it's Evanscott that has the sill trim and front and rear wings screwed on in the same way, I think it looks great.
Tks STUARTQ! Will check his car out.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 PM
perrew
Instructor

Here is an interesting shifter I just found, maybe someone knows about it?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Snow Mouse - an oldie 964 to compete with 997 Cups - maybe?