Why no interest in LED headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
To be fair to Bizman he said in post #128 (yesterday) that his car is off the road and will get you a picture next week when it's up and running again. I'm sure he'll do this for you if you give him the time he needs.
We really need images from a properly aligned 964 headlamp which is different than the 928 bucket. The problem a lot of people (myself included) have experienced with brighter (HID & LED) bulbs in an H4 assembly is that you start to blind traffic in front of you. That led to several people trying the VW clear lense (ala Singer). Which has its own set of problems when not used with a projector designed for a clear lense.

If these bulbs somehow work-around the existing problems then I will be first on the list to buy them.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:18 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

And I'd be close behing Jason for a set, provided the cutoff and distribution are satisfactory.

Last thing I need is another clash with the inspection/police...
Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I upgraded to candles. Life it much better now. I just hate lighting them when the sun starts to fade. :P
Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
And I'd be close behing Jason for a set, provided the cutoff and distribution are satisfactory.

Last thing I need is another clash with the inspection/police...
Ok. This is the UK beam pattern produced by the H4 headlamp and is what is required to pass the MOT inspection. The Euro pattern would be reversed L to R. Would this pattern be acceptable in CONUS?

Last edited by Harry Apps; 10-02-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Bizman928
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
Ok. This is the UK beam pattern produced by the H4 headlamp and is what is required to pass the MOT inspection. The Euro pattern would be reversed L to R. Would this pattern be acceptable in CONUS?
Thanks Harry for the excellent detail image. That is correct as you say for us in the UK. That is what all cars have to pass with the output from their lights - 964, 928 or otherwise it is not car dependant.

I wish I had a 964 close by to help out with the questions at the moment. I will see if any or our customers have taken a photo up against a wall that they can send over to me to help answer you questions.

Steve
woodypeck CREE LED Bulbs
Old 03-05-2015, 01:15 AM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

looks like superbrightLEDs have started carrying headlight bulbs
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...nversion-kits/
Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bizman928
Thanks Harry for the excellent detail image. That is correct as you say for us in the UK. That is what all cars have to pass with the output from their lights - 964, 928 or otherwise it is not car dependant.

I wish I had a 964 close by to help out with the questions at the moment. I will see if any or our customers have taken a photo up against a wall that they can send over to me to help answer you questions.

Steve
woodypeck CREE LED Bulbs
Bizman928, you have a PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John Rygg
Nice! I still wanna see if those will work. I love that website btw! Superfast shipping, quality lights.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Bizman928
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John Rygg
We declined to sell the latest version of this bulb because the LED chips are mounted side to side so shine on the horizontal axis and not up & down on the vertical axis as a H4 filament bulb does. This is a basic design flaw and makes the light shine incorrectly on half the reflector on the tests we did.

The idea of the Copper Heat Braid instead of the fans is a brilliant idea and ideal for the 911's with little room in the headlight bowl behind the bulb. We have been in contact with this factory to see if they can rotate their bulb chips 90° so they are aligned in the correct direction for H4 bulbs & reflectors. We will keep you posted

For reference: On this site the bulbs they show are an early version. The latest version is 35watt not 20 watt as sold on this web site. Also the latest version has 3000 lumens whereas this website only sell the 1300 lumen bulb! Significant difference.

Just so Forum members understand what is being shown here. The bulbs chips are placed so they shine left & right instead of up & down in line with our H4 reflectors

Steve
Old 03-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Bizman928
Former Vendor

My Neighbour was taking their Shogun 4X4 in for an MOT Road Test this morning so I asked if I could put on one of our H4 CREE LED bulbs in his Headlights as he went for the test.

We only had the 4300 Kelvin bulbs left in stock as we are now sold out until the delivery next week but here are the photos as promised of the bulb reflection image through the MOT Test centre optics as required by UK law.

The car passed with no problems and great praise as usual for our CREE LED bulbs! [ But our Neighbour's headlight was out of alignment & needed to be raised a little as can be seen - but that was nothing to do with our LED bulbs.]

G5 CREE H4 4300K MOT from today's MOT test in the UK of a neighbour's Shogun 4X4 - image A<br/>With the test Optics slightly out of line to show how the reflector pattern works with the kick on Right Hand drive car headlights.<br/><br/>These Headlights do need raising but that is nothing to do with the CREE LED bulbs - juts a neighbours shogun that I loaned for the test.

G5 CREE H4 4300K MOT- from today's MOT test in the UK of a neighbours shogun 4x4 - image B<br/>With the optics in-line to show the correct bulb light pattern and the kick to the left-pavement-side for Right Hand drive UK cars<br/><br/>These Headlights do need raising but that is nothing to do with the CREE LED bulbs - juts a neighbours shogun that I loaned for the test.

Steve
Woodypeck CREE LED bulbs
www.woodypeck.com
Old 03-05-2015, 02:09 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The CREE LED bulbs in my 928 exactly match & replicate the standard Halogen bulb which they replaced.

That, my friend, is an entire impossibility, halogen and HID bulbs both have a spherical light source, the flat plane of an LED chip CANNOT provide that, EVER!

The light cut-off and reflector work in exactly the same way and give out exactly the same pattern on a wall, on a road & anywhere in the world I drive. Exactly the same!

You're dreaming!

Our bulbs H4 or H7 will replicate the same pattern as your standard H4 or H7 though the same Headlight lens. The pattern cut-off will be the same as this comes from the reflector and lens not the bulb.

Our bulb is designed to replicate the H4 bulb direction of light exactly.

You cannot possibly believe this to be a true statement.

And does a perfect job of this no matter where in the world you are. H4 for H4 identical design plain and simple.

Our H4 CREE LED bulbs are an exact replacement for a standard H4 halogen bulb. Like for like. The same pattern is for both as the pattern comes from the reflector and the lens.
What a lot of marketing HYPE.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:33 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Nice! I still wanna see if those will work. I love that website btw! Superfast shipping, quality lights.
SuperBrightLeds disclaimer: Covers a lot of sins...

OFF ROAD USE ONLY.

We can be certain sure that each and every HID retrofit I have done, 8-12 maybe, are technically ILLEGAL.

But with EVERY one I have done I verified that the low beam high cutoff was properly positioned and as distinct/sharp as the OEM.

I don't see how that could be done as well with the thermal and physical mounting restrictions of LED chips but I remain open to seeing proof, but from the Horse's mouth, not some other source.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
wwest
Drifting

My Neighbour was taking their Shogun 4X4 in for an MOT Road Test this morning so I asked if I could put on one of our H4 CREE LED bulbs in his Headlights as he went for the test.

We only had the 4300 Kelvin bulbs left in stock as we are now sold out until the delivery next week but here are the photos as promised of the bulb reflection image through the MOT Test centre optics as required by UK law.

The car passed with no problems and great praise as usual for our CREE LED bulbs! [ But our Neighbour's headlight was out of alignment & needed to be raised a little as can be seen - but that was nothing to do with our LED bulbs.]

G5 CREE H4 4300K MOT from today's MOT test in the UK of a neighbour's Shogun 4X4 - image A<br/>With the test Optics slightly out of line to show how the reflector pattern works with the kick on Right Hand drive car headlights.<br/><br/>These Headlights do need raising but that is nothing to do with the CREE LED bulbs - juts a neighbours shogun that I loaned for the test.

G5 CREE H4 4300K MOT- from today's MOT test in the UK of a neighbours shogun 4x4 - image B<br/>With the optics in-line to show the correct bulb light pattern and the kick to the left-pavement-side for Right Hand drive UK cars<br/><br/>These Headlights do need raising but that is nothing to do with the CREE LED bulbs - juts a neighbours shogun that I loaned for the test.

Steve
Woodypeck CREE LED bulbs
www.woodypeck.com
Looks to me as if the UK MOT standards are a lot more relaxed than the US DOT.

In the US with the advent of the wide adoption of much brighter HID bulbs the issue if low beam high cutoff being sharp/distinct has become more prevalent.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Bizman928
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wwest
Looks to me as if the UK MOT standards are a lot more relaxed than the US DOT.

In the US with the advent of the wide adoption of much brighter HID bulbs the issue if low beam high cutoff being sharp/distinct has become more prevalent.

What an absolute load of twoddle! Honestly!

..."In the US.......adoption of Much brighter HID bulbs"..... are you for real! Come on!
How pretentious!

None of your comments, derogatory or otherwise, warrant any kind of response on here!

Last edited by Bizman928; 03-05-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont understand these pictures. What are we looking at?

Quick Reply: Why no interest in LED headlamps?