Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Number 27" - Lightweight Cobalt C4 project

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:46 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The glass screen comes from Fuch and there is a thread on here about them somewhere.

Whilst its heated, I think it comes out a little heavier than the OEM RS glass, but lighter than stock C2/4? It also looks brill.

I didnt weigh my lexan before it went in but it was crazy light compared to what came out :-) Guessing there's a 3kg saving net.

Last edited by mf_rsr; 08-01-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

I've also another hardened lexan screen somewhere, but that has a few scratches/ needs trimming. For a track rat though its perfect. Somebody make me a stupid offer...
Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 PM
cptnzero
Instructor

Looking forward to following this Jack, those wheels will look great with the cobalt blue
Old 08-01-2014, 02:51 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

An interesting note on Cobalt :

Date of Discovery: 1737
Discoverer: George Brandt
Name Origin: From the German word kobalt or kobold (evil spirit)
Uses: magnets, ceramics, special glasses
Obtained From: arsenic, oxygen, sulfur, cobaltine

So, evil spirit seems a good description of your final product !
Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed

I like where this is heading
Old 10-12-2014, 05:43 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JV911
Subscribed

I like where this is heading
Cool thanks.. Love your project!!

Originally Posted by abarthguy
An interesting note on Cobalt :

Date of Discovery: 1737
Discoverer: George Brandt
Name Origin: From the German word kobalt or kobold (evil spirit)
Uses: magnets, ceramics, special glasses
Obtained From: arsenic, oxygen, sulfur, cobaltine

So, evil spirit seems a good description of your final product !
Great stuff.. Thanks!

Originally Posted by cptnzero
Looking forward to following this Jack, those wheels will look great with the cobalt blue
Got them fitted and not so sure now.. See pics

Originally Posted by mf_rsr
I've also another hardened lexan screen somewhere, but that has a few scratches/ needs trimming. For a track rat though its perfect. Somebody make me a stupid offer...
Hey, decided to go for Fuchs option in the end..

Originally Posted by mf_rsr
The glass screen comes from Fuch and there is a thread on here about them somewhere.

Whilst its heated, I think it comes out a little heavier than the OEM RS glass, but lighter than stock C2/4? It also looks brill.

I didnt weigh my lexan before it went in but it was crazy light compared to what came out :-) Guessing there's a 3kg saving net.
The Fuchs ones are supposed to be 2gms heavier than RS so basically the same
Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Cobalt looks awesome in that bright sunlight!
Cheers Franco! I'll need to work with Tom to get the right match.. Other cars I've seen in Cobalt are slightly darker in hue.. So want to make sure I replicate the existing one properly
Old 10-12-2014, 05:47 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Fuchs fitted.. Have to say I don't really like them as they are. May have to change to polished rim.. Also car handles better on the 17" Cups with the Yokahamas as opposed to these Fuchs with R888s. Ride is also much more fidgety.. So unsure what to do all in all..

Old 10-13-2014, 07:21 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Right, the unexpected issue with me not liking the Fuchs is that I will now be selling and going back to Cup1s, at least for now. This is also puts the Ducktail in jeopardy as not sure it would look good with the Cups. However I have it now so will see how it looks when it is all done. I can always go back to the standard tail if it does not work.

Have also contacted Tom at Lemass about a Reapaint:
- Fixing small areas of rust
- Side Indicator delete
- Headlamp washer delete
What will be critical is getting an exact match for the current paint. There are shades of Cobalt porsche used and msot of the ones I have seen are slightly darker.. I really want to keep the sparkly/electric feel of the original paint on the car. Have discussed it and am confident Tom can do this.

Car has to be ready for 15th Jan for a track day followed by trip to the Alps to see my parents. So hopefully this will get done pretty promptly. While this is being done I am replacing the rear glass with a lighweight RS replica from Fuch (Mark), apparently it is just 2gms heavier than a full RS version and includes the heating elements.

Going forward I have decided I will be going for a C2 conversion. This is the best way for me to substantially remove more weight from the car without killing driveability on the road. I followed the 9m conversion with interest but I will take a different approach that should be simpler and more cost effective. My approach will be to retain the C4 box, therefore saving on labour and parts costs, then using an internally splined solid sleeve to replace the transfer differential, essentially just then sending drive to the rear wheels. And junking everything forward of that. Am discussing with a few people to see who can carry it out. Obviously a 6 speed conversion would be indeal but costs would be much higher, parts wise but also because as on Ken's 9m car it would then require more modification of the C4 gear shift leaver box and console.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent read that much about 964 C4 to C2 swap but would it not be better to just track down a C2 box then well yours once you have done the swap? Gearbox parts would be almost cost-neutral if you get lucky on purchase and sale of the actual boxes.

What size fuchs did you get? I have some cups if you wana trade
Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jevvy964
I havent read that much about 964 C4 to C2 swap but would it not be better to just track down a C2 box then well yours once you have done the swap? Gearbox parts would be almost cost-neutral if you get lucky on purchase and sale of the actual boxes.

What size fuchs did you get? I have some cups if you wana trade
Would a 964 C2 box not still require modification of the C4 gear shift leaver box and console?

I kept my CUPs but thanks.. the Fuchs are basically new with 400 miles on them and with Toyo R888s which are also new. I paid £2500 a few weeks ago and would sell for the same if anyone is interested.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Would a 964 C2 box not still require modification of the C4 gear shift leaver box and console?
In the grand scheme of things this is a minor issue.

I'd also argue that swapping for a C2 box is the simpler way - it's a bolt-in operation. That said the chap who bought my old C4 box was going to try something similar i.e. get it to run in 2WD mode but I think he was going to have a go himself and not pay someone else to do it.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:30 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

just posted on IB:

Just selling an 80,000 mile 964 C2 gearbox....£2600
Including the Driveshafts, console switch, gear leaver and linkage etc. transmission tunel cage i'd like about £3,800 or any offers...
loads of other bits and bobs availible too...

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/i...onversion-kit/
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Talat
In the grand scheme of things this is a minor issue.

I'd also argue that swapping for a C2 box is the simpler way - it's a bolt-in operation. That said the chap who bought my old C4 box was going to try something similar i.e. get it to run in 2WD mode but I think he was going to have a go himself and not pay someone else to do it.
So is the 964 C2 box a straight switch or not? The transmission tunnel mods i saw on the 9m car were not that minor.. and when combined with the cost difference.. still looking at £3K for a C3 box and then need to buy all the ancilleries. My C4 box is free and making up a sleeve should be £2-300 at most.. conversly the C4 boxes iv'e seen for sale only seem to go for around £1k-£1.5K...

Originally Posted by jevvy964
just posted on IB:

Just selling an 80,000 mile 964 C2 gearbox....£2600
Including the Driveshafts, console switch, gear leaver and linkage etc. transmission tunel cage i'd like about £3,800 or any offers...
loads of other bits and bobs availible too...

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/i...onversion-kit/
Nice spot there mate!! I'll need to look into that but still seems lime too much cash to me. All in all in a rough estimate to me it looks like converting the C4 Box would cost me around £2k including labour (machining and removal and refitment of ebgine and box), whereas using a C2 box would cost closer to £4k plus the hassle of obtaining another box. Not made a decision yet but the C4 seems like the least hassle option.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Ok so the Fuchs are gone and car is back on cup1s. 27 is also going in for paint at Tom's place on Sunday. While there it will get a side indicator and headlamp washer delete. He is also doing a Fenn Lane sunroof delete and fitting a new Ducktail for lightness. For the same reason Mark (Fuch) will supply one of his RS style rear screens.
The floor pan in the frunk needs doing as well so at this point a colour change would not be much extra work.
Now the question is ... Do I stick with Cobalt or go for another blue? I think a Matt colour would work better with the Duck but I do like the Cobalt.. Thoughts? I am thinking some kind of Racing French Blue but a shade darker maybe..
Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

I would leave it Cobalt Jack, I love that colur, and its rare on a 964

I know what you mean about the Duck, but its a whole lot of work and expense to colour change it properly

Are you going to paint the bonnet or leave it CF?

Quick Reply: "Number 27" - Lightweight Cobalt C4 project