Sponsored by:

Blew my first dme relay today

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Blew my first dme relay today

Strange feeling to just sit there trying to start it and have nothing happen...

Thankfully I took advice from rennlist a long long time ago and had a spare in the glovebox. (And since there are a lot of new owners lately, get a spare dme relay to keep with you in the car)

So now to buy a new one. Got my last from sunset and paid full price...is that necessary? URO relays are on eBay for 15 dollars. Is there a good quality aftermarket dme relay. Porsche oem fail as well. Does anyone have any real experience with different makes out there?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am in for one as well. let me know what you find...
Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont waste the money on the URO relay. Auto Zone and OReillys (No affiliation)have a good quality replacement for about $34 bucks...Auto Zone gives you a lifetime guarantee...
Neither is China Crap..iirc auto zone calls it the fuel pump relay

Make sure you test fit the new one before tucking it away for future use...I bought OEM once and it was defective right out of the box

See http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...8873_0_0_17586
Old 07-28-2014, 12:11 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by pcarplayer; 08-27-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:21 AM
PeterMcD
Track Day

Default Now I know why there is a spare DME relay in the glove box.

HI There,

Interesting thread to find. A question for you guys though ... every once in a while in 5th gear at low rpms, the engine on my C4 Cab will sputter and hesitate ... almost like the fuel pump has shut off or malfunctioned. Could that be the DME relay as well? Usually with electronics I would expect a work or fail condition.

Peter
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

DME relay failures are often intermittent and then fail completely......
Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys just make sure to have jumpers made up and in the glove box as well you never know a costly tow for 10 cents worth of wire and connectors. Along with this a picture of how to wire it and also I have a picture of where to jump it out. Night time raining with a flashlight or CELL PHONE light not a place to be guessing. Once you have it you can forget about it. Nice Insurance
Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Got my last from sunset and paid full price...is that necessary?
Did you buy the relay within the last two years? If so, they will give you another.

Originally Posted by SilverTarga
Auto Zone and OReillys (No affiliation)have a good quality replacement for about $34 bucks...Auto Zone gives you a lifetime guarantee...
How long has the Autozone relay been around for? A year maybe two? Just going off the quality of nearly everything else they rebrand (these relays are made by Airtex I think?) I would be hesitant to install one of these without keeping a spare of something else. Hope they don't turn into another URO situation which lately seems to be the norm with aftermarket parts.

URO relays are on eBay for 15 dollars.
Those aren't even worth $15USD.

Porsche oem fail as well.
Porsche relays seem to last 10+ years. Although there are always a few outliers that go through them like candy and those that are still on their original with 150k miles on the car but...

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
I bought OEM once and it was defective right out of the box
Do you remember where had you bought the relay from?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:37 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterMcD
HI There,

Interesting thread to find. A question for you guys though ... every once in a while in 5th gear at low rpms, the engine on my C4 Cab will sputter and hesitate ... almost like the fuel pump has shut off or malfunctioned. Could that be the DME relay as well? Usually with electronics I would expect a work or fail condition.

Peter
I'm going to have to say no to this. If it happened in any gear or RPM it would be more likely, but the DME relay has absolutley no connection to either. Could be a multitude of things. Scan your car with a hammer and see what shows up.

There was a thread I found a while back about diagnosing hesitation issues and went through various things to try/replace starting from easiest/cheapest to hardest/most expensive.

Edit: heres a link I had bookmarked
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...eleration.html
Old 08-01-2014, 05:52 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Out of curiosity I ordered a relay from Autozone (free Fedex next-day shipping to their stores...) and this is what showed up!

looks like a regular 993 revision DME Fuel Pump Relay.

Even has the Porsche trademark which you are not supposed to find on products purchased outside their dealer network, something is fishy...

There is always the chance these are counterfeit (anyone know any employees @ Porsche Classic) OR

they did not pass PAG's QC at were dumped on the open market by the supplier? I will take some better macro level photos with my tripod next week but I can tell you that under a magnifying glass the solder joints look horrible.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 08-01-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM
ziu
Advanced

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas

they did not pass QC at PAG in Germany and were sent back to the supplier who then dumped them on the open market?
No I think that is China made, The coils seem to be wrapped by hand!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 AM
lvc2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Three in last 10 years. Never, never go out without a spare. Each time I was back on the road in less than five minutes.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lvc2
Three in last 10 years. Never, never go out without a spare. Each time I was back on the road in less than five minutes.
Wow. I am convinced it is time get a spare.

Quick Reply: Blew my first dme relay today