Sponsored by:

Bad timing, but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Bad timing, but...

I was driving down the highway in upstate New York a couple years ago, and a 2x4 fell off a truck and bounced up and shattered my front windshield...none of us were hurt, just the glass...

But then, I went looking for a windshield. Thank god insurance covered it. The only correct windshield we could find was 1200, and there were only a few available in the country....

So today, I'm looking at eBay and see item 390808507206, no affiliation...and I'm wishing I was in Oregon to go pick it up as a "just in case"...am I nuts or are windshields for these cars insane...
Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I need an excuse to run a windshield replacement through the insurance, because i'd be able to address the rust issue at the base of the windshield w/o being worried about having to eat the cost of a glass replacement.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:49 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And they say the aftermarket glass fits terribly, so I'm pretty worried about this, myself!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yeah vandit, we found a bit of rust under mine as well...I had no signs, but once the glass was out it was there. So that got taken care of as well...
Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it I'm moving to the states & setting up shop ......there about £200 for a pilkington glass in the uk and that's who make them for Porsche now & fit just fine!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spend the money on mods not a windscreen.

Originally Posted by fuch
That's it I'm moving to the states & setting up shop ......there about £200 for a pilkington glass in the uk and that's who make them for Porsche now & fit just fine!
Indeed, mine is perfect.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 AM
MRH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I was driving down the highway in upstate New York a couple years ago, and a 2x4 fell off a truck and bounced up and shattered my front windshield...none of us were hurt, just the glass...

But then, I went looking for a windshield. Thank god insurance covered it. The only correct windshield we could find was 1200, and there were only a few available in the country....

So today, I'm looking at eBay and see item 390808507206, no affiliation...and I'm wishing I was in Oregon to go pick it up as a "just in case"...am I nuts or are windshields for these cars insane...
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

After spending many months trying to source an original Sigla windshield for a restoration I decided to look at Pilkington who now owns Sigla. They are an OEM for Porsche and if you buy a new one from Porsche it will have a Pilkington logo on it. Same with the 993 glass. Saw a new one at Sunset Porsche a couple of weeks ago. It had the triangulated "P" denoting an original Porsche part. And you will pay a big premium for that "P". I went and looked at the Ebay windshield you mention and it is Pilkington but without the Porsche logo. They obviously supply both Porsche and the aftermarket. Sigla did the same thing years ago. Since I needed a windshield now I decided to put in a new Pilkington and keep looking for the OEM Sigla with Porsche logo. It fits perfectly.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Goughary
Race Car

That's interesting. We found a sigla for mine...I had no idea about the switch in manufacturer...

Quick Reply: Bad timing, but...