Sponsored by:

LONDON 964 OWNERS - Alpine Tour

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Viking911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rephlex
Past the second evening there was no time for drinking. At hotel 1am and 12am on two nights, everything shut. Up again early. Hardcore stuff.

James did you think it was a holiday tour
Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking911
Was bloody brilliant! Just sayin', like.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Viking911
Intermediate

It would be something we would all love to do again. Some fantastic routes, the photos really don't give the full picture how epic it is. Once we have some video up, you will get a better idea.

We can learn some lessons from it. Each day was a very full itinerary and we were always behind schedule. Some drivers are much more committed (and have much more capable machinery) than others.

A repeat trip would undoubtedly attract a larger response and would need to be carefully planned probably with two or three groups running routes with rendezvous at agreed locations. Even with seven cars it is hard to keep a group together when the fastest can overtake at will and the slower cars/drivers (whilst no slouch) are running at a steadier pace.

The roads are simply fantastic whether it be motorways, A-roads or mountain passes.

Basic template for the trip is superb as put together by Stuart and Henrik. Well planned, some great accommodation, Megeve in particular, and huge choice dipping into Switzerland and Italy from France.

Agree James... Group could end up being a little larger next year and cars, skills, commitment levels are diff. Probably a good idea with 3 - 4 daily central way points and the sub groups sort themselves out quickly as they did this year... Can't wait to go again, but really hope we can avoid the icy patches
Old 09-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Glyn964
Intermediate

Doesn't look much but was there much other traffic out and about?

A mate of mine was out that way a few weeks back and said it was awful and was getting stuck behind Sunday drivers......

Sounds like there'd be quite a few up for this next year.....
Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyn964
Doesn't look much but was there much other traffic out and about?

A mate of mine was out that way a few weeks back and said it was awful and was getting stuck behind Sunday drivers......

Sounds like there'd be quite a few up for this next year.....
The trick will be to always do it after the schools in France, Italy and Germany go back in September. I was in the Alps in August and the traffic was crazy - much worse than July.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Viking911
Intermediate

Default Avoid summer period

I have been touring the Alps on bikes the past 25 years and have a home there as well... Alps roads are great from last week May / begin June up through first week July, then I cramps up until last week Aug. June and Sep up through first weeks Oct are just awesome.

Though don't forget these are still public roads so watch out and keep it safe. The wilder full dedicated stuff is for track only.

Generally you can drive spirited in the mountains without getting into probs in France and Italy. Swiss police though have much less tolerance, keep it 1/2 docile in Swiss. Also watch out on the dual carriage and main connecting roads anywhere round the Alps. The French especially regularly do radar control on these and just 1 kph over their max 50 kph exceed limit means immediate revoke of license. It will be returned by postal 3-4 weeks later.

A few lads recently did not fully understand that and supposedly had 150/160 mph sessions in a 65 mph zone, but somehow got away with it only resulting in exchange of cash.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

A few lads recently did not fully understand that and supposedly had 150/160 mph sessions in a 65 mph zone, but somehow got away with it only resulting in exchange of cash.
The police did not understand the sound of three 964's bouncing off rev limiters echoing around the valley "You are Cannonballers, yes?"
Old 09-17-2014, 05:59 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Henrik, you're always entertaining!

A long hard think and discussion required for the next tour.
Personally, I liked the fact that it was full on, but sometime with a beer or two in the evening chatting about the days events etc is not a bad thing.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the type of tour I enjoy, glad to see everyone and all cars back safely and thanks for posting up some pictures

Would love to join in next year.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 AM
dave964diver
Racer

^^^^ Thread to follow
Old 09-18-2014, 04:48 AM
dave964diver
Racer

Not a Holiday Tour!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
Sounds like the type of tour I enjoy, glad to see everyone and all cars back safely and thanks for posting up some pictures

Would love to join in next year.
Errrrrr. I see Dave has now broken cover
Old 09-18-2014, 05:45 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Errrrrr. I see Dave has now broken cover

Ouch, I did notice that Stuart mentioned one 'low' in an earlier post

I imagine this was it!?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:49 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ooooh - Is it both sides? as the LHS mirror looks odd.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:06 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

I don't think Dave will mind me giving a quick explanation; This happened on Sunday. I was the car following. Frank was ahead of him and Stuart was behind me. We has just completed a brilliant spirited drive down the San Bernando pass headed form La Thuile towards Bourg Saint-Maurice and were on the lower wooded slopes on the road heading down the hillside. Next to no traffic and fairly long stretches between corners and hairpins. Compared to what we had been doing earlier, simple stuff.

I was using Satnav as an aid to the severity of the route ahead; Dave did not have this. He barrelled into a corner which was probably twice the angle he expected and had an unhealthy dose of negative camber, so as I rounded the corner I saw he had lost the back end, thumped the inside bank (having scrubbed off most momentum) and flipped the car into a barrel roll on its axis. The car slammed back down onto its wheels, Dave thrown around in the passenger seat.

I was relieved to see him immediately moving and getting out of the car.

We pushed it into a layby on the other side of the road and set about getting it recovered. The recovery guy was brilliant and completely unfazed, he showed us photos on his phone of cars pulled hundreds of metres out of ravines. If Dave had gone over the edge, it would have been a deep, steep and grisly plunge down into pine tree woods.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...08ab2ae4bab6b0

Quick Reply: LONDON 964 OWNERS - Alpine Tour