Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rs carpets: makers, installation, sounddeadening and rear seats...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 PM
bricem13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rs carpets: makers, installation, sounddeadening and rear seats...

Hi

Maybe just another thread but cannot find all the informations. Basically I'd like to replace the carpets in my 90 c2 to save some weight and refresh the interior. So rs is the way to go.

I have a littld biy so it is quite important for me to keep the rear seats. It should be possible but additionnal material would be required for the back of the seats.

I am concerned by the quality between perlon and plush. On pics it is quite difficult to spot any differences between both in black and I cannot get samples (cost of shipping). So what are the differences in feel, durability, fit?

There are a lot of vendors. Appbiz is well known but what about rennspd (way cheaper), tremotorsports, others in europe. Which shall I choose?

Lastly soundproofing: slightly louder ok, too much not ok. Soundproofing will also help have the carpets installed corrdctly but which material (open cell foam?), thickness, where exactly?

Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Brice
Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Perlon is very thin but very moldeable. Very close in feel and thickness to underlay you can find in upholstery shops.

Plush is bit thicker and harder to shape around corners but it keeps its form and probably best choice if you are not doing any insulation.

Silverknit is just like a sweater. Thick and quite dense. Very easy to shape around corners and will probably require some insulation/sound pads to make it hold shape.

Appbiz cut and edging is very good quality. They are very helpful and can recommend the best material and cut for your application and choice of what trim you will redo, remove or replace.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did this to my C2, biggest area for noise generation is probably from the rear wheel arch so whatever sound insulation you choose I would double in that area.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

How about a semi-RS look?

I took the upper portion of the rear foldable seats out to give the kids a little more room and for a better fit for their car seats.

The added benefit is that the rear seat area looks almost RS without the uppers installed.

How old is the kid?

It's easy to install the hidden up tether support system, and it makes sure the kid seats don't rock forward under braking.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM
bricem13
Instructor

Thanks for the replies!

To 911 jetta: do you have some pics? What is the tether support?

Best regards
Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Brice,
I'm traveling and only have my phone with me right now ( so sorry if I screw up pasting the links below), but found this old thread that should get you started:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/486602-car-seat-for-children.html?referrerid=19642

Plus Bates' excellent DIY:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/233641-child-s-carseat-top-center-anchor-install-my-first-how-to.html

Best regards,
Udo
Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-24-2014, 11:41 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I did an interior refresh about a year ago. There is a "glue sequence" I created on this forum that may help you once you get in there. A couple of thoughts:
- While Appbiz may not be the cheapest, they have been very good to work with. No affiliation but a very satisfied customer.
- Regarding sound deadening, how bad is the current stuff in your car? When I tackled mine, I removed the whole thing. Problem is that the original stuff is thicker than most of the modern materials which creates fit challenges. If you are chasing 50 pounds, go ahead and replace. If not and the original material is still good, you may want to consider just refreshing the carpet set.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:25 PM
bricem13
Instructor

Cjoenk: how loud is the car now? Still enjoyable without ear plugs? I want to save weight but still want to be able to discuss with a passenger in the car...

Quick Reply: rs carpets: makers, installation, sounddeadening and rear seats...