European Track Tour 2014

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default European Track Tour 2014

Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th July

After what seemed like a year in the planning we finally set off late in the afternoon along the M62 from Cheshire to catch the Hull to Rotterdam ferry. It was a small convoy of myself (white C2) and Kevin in his new Rubystone 964RS ngt. Along the way we met up with my mate Paul, first timer for Spa, in his M3 cab. At the ferry we joined up with Chris and brother in law Steve. Chris is a serial Porsche owner having had more than one 964RS before and was making the trip in his peridot green Cayman R. A number of others were traveling over by different crossings.

Beer, an all you can eat buffet and good banter anticipating the trip followed and then a not too late retirement to the cabins. Next morning we arrived at Rotterdam Europort and after being passport and breathalyzer checked, we went on our way to Spa. It was a leisurely pace using the motorway network that took us around 5 hours including stops for coffee, lunch and fuel. It was sunshine for most of the way but true to form the rain thrashed down on the section that passed by the Spa Francorchamps circuit!

On arrival at our favored hotel, the St Hubert in the little village of Ligneuville, the clouds parted and the sun came out. There we met more of our Euro trippers that had arrived at different times - Tony (white boxster S), Laurence (lemon yellow 964RS), David (blue 964 C2), Ian (red 964RS) and Tony (backdated 911 race car based on an SC). While we already knew that John (Oldtimer, orange 964 C2) would not arrive for another day, Tony gave us the unfortunate news that Andrew (Big Unit) would yet again not make Spa owing to a last minute issue with his C2. The rest of the day/evening was spent with glasses of beer and one of of Edgard's fine 3 course dinners - fillet of pike-perch, followed by roast guinea fowl and finished with strawberries with ice cream and a pepper spiced raspberry sauce.

After that we were ready for sleep and Spa!

To be continued......

Pics of the trip and hotel near Spa:

Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I love Euro trips and reading this makes me think that one is well overdue..have a good one and stay out of the armco!

Great too to see that plenty of 964RS are getting used as intended despite the value upswing. Kudos..
Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics Steve, and some nice video on PCGB, whats reason behind the the Boxster wheels?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Jonny, we're all back safe and sound...it's just taking me a while to put all this together. More will soon follow below.

Gary, they're just another set I had laying around so put the new set of toyos on them as the ones on the 996C4 wheels still had a bit of life in them...but not enough to go to Spa!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Monday 14th July, Track Day at Spa

After another good night's sleep (luckily I'd now had 2 nights in a row without Oldtimer's snoring) we woke to grey, ominous skies. After Edgard's breakfast of warm fresh bread and all the usual Belgian goodies we drove down to the circuit and piled into the free garages to get ready for the day. At this point we met up with more of our trippers; Mel (red/green/white 964 cup), Ian (maritime 964 cup), Steve (996 cup), Philipe from Belgium (unfortunately still waiting for his recently acquired 964 cup to arrive from the US), Hugh (mint 964RS ngt), Ollie (silver 996 GT3), Alex (silver 996 GT3), Ollie Jackson (British Touring car driver who had brought caterhams), Paul (orange 968 race car) and Steve and son Dan (maritime 964RS).

Signing on and briefing were done and it was then out on track for sighting laps which were still dry. It was great to back at Spa on the track and also quite amusing as I had to follow Hugh's gang in their land rover tow car as their track cars weren't ready at the time. The lean angles of the defender at the bus stop and La Source were very entertaining!

As soon as the sighting laps finished the heavens opened and we were faced with a very wet spa. I quite enjoyed the chance to drive it wet but, like others, took it very easy (video to follow when I process it). There were still however a few butt clenching moments when aquaplaning over standing water. And the wipers were often on at triple speed, especially when the Radicals on full wets flashed past me creating 'rooster tails' of spray. It was noticeable that the Spa first timers were looking pretty glum because it's a daunting place in the rain.

Just before lunch the rain slowed and a dry line on the track started to appear and things were looking up. We all helped ourselves to the free Bookatrack lunch and got ready for the afternoon session. The even better news was that the track would be open until 6 pm for us as it was summer! And that John Oldtimer (orange 964C2) had finally turned up! So once the track re-opened for the afternoon session our garages were empty for more than the time they were full, as everybody got out on track as much as they could.

The track got grippier as the day went on. Personally, I didn't go any quicker on a lap than I had done on previous trips which was partly down to keeping clear of the kerbs in case they were still holding water and partly because I just wanted to get out their with the 'newbies' and enjoy it with them. Everyone was clearly loving being out there. No more than young Dan who was driving his Dad's RS sideways at every opportunity! (I should say at this point that although only 25 he has been brought up racing cars and is one of the most talented young drivers I have met - more of that later). By 6 pm that evening we had visited the on site fuel station several times and had grins from ear to ear.

It was then back to the St Hubert where we parked up for the night, drank plenty of beer, ate Edgard's four course dinner (Carpaccio, vegetable soup, freshly caught river trout and blueberries with ice cream).

To be continued....

Pics at Spa and back at hotel that night:

Video of a very busy Spa session, not fast but lots of fun and features many of our group - Tony in his boxster, Paul in his M3, Kevin in Pinky, Ollie Jackson (yellow caterham), David's car being driven by Philipe.....and oldtimer bobbing around in the passenger seat.

One and bit lap video of me trying to keep up with Kevin's rubystone RS:

Last edited by boxsey911; 07-23-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Got it
Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Tuesday 15th July

With this only being a travel day Edgard prepared a late breakfast at 9 am. Once tyres were pumped back up to road pressures we said goodbye to Ian, one of the Tonys and Laurence, who were on their way back to blighty. We then set off on the drive back North to Holland and Zandvoort. Again a leisurely drive with frequent stops but this time lead by Tony in his boxster courtesy of the sat nav. The lady in the nav doing quite well by only leading us astray once due to road works.

We arrived at the Bastion Hotel in West Haarlem in the early afternoon and were pleased to find good parking and nice hotel to pitch up for the night. A relief for me as I'd only found it via searching the net. The intention was to rest and eat there prior to the next trackday. However, Steve and son Dan (with help from the other Ian) persuaded us to hop on the bus to the town centre for a beer. By late afternoon the friendly people of Haarlem had guided us to a Church that had been transformed into a brewery and bar and we set about sampling most of the beers on offer. By 8 pm just about everyone on the trip made it out to the bar and by 11 pm we finally made our way back to the hotel having consumed a lot more beer and a curry.

Haarlem turned out to be a lovely place to visit and the friendliness of the Dutch people is as good as you will find anywhere.

To be continued.....

Last photo before leaving the St Hubert:

Snaps on the journey to Zandvoort:

Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Wednesday 16th July, Track Day at Zandvoort and home

Next morning we did the 20 minute drive to Zandvoort. This took us through the suburbs, a nature reserve and along the coast. Luckily I'd plotted out the route because there were absolutely no signs pointing you to the circuit. Not even at the entry! (I missed it and had to double back and found it with yet more help from a friendly local).

At the briefing there was much laughter when a show of hands revealed that 90% of us there had never driven Zandvoort before! Jonny of Bookatrack then proceeded to warn us that this was a high speed track with walls close by and should be treated with respect. Sighting laps soon revealed that he was telling the truth. Some walls, very fast and flowing and lots of steeply banked gravel traps to collect you if you overcooked it. Some of the complexes of corners on the track did not have obvious lines and early on I found it very tricky to find my way round. However, after my pre-booked instruction slot it all started to make sense. In brief, there's a long start/finish straight that you can get close to 120 mph at the top of 4th gear in a 964 which requires heavy braking for a hairpin. From then on it's a series of twists and turns. Some are very high speed at 100 mph and some are off camber and you need to be on the correct side of the track to keep the car settled. It was great fun trying to get it right.

By early afternoon everyone was having a great time out there. After doing a lot of sessions in my own car I hitched a ride with young Dan who took me round in his dad's RS. This was a real eye opener because even without pushing hard he carried so much more speed through the corners and had the car balanced on its nose exactly when he needed it to turn. Incredible car skills and always in complete control. My next session in my own car after that was so much quicker before simply by copying some of Dan's lines and choice of gears. Unfortunately I'd run out of GoPro memory card by that time so never caught the fastest laps on video!

While Zandvoort is no substitute for Spa it's right up there with one of the most fun tracks I've driven.

Pics of Zandvoort:

A couple of laps of the circuit in mine. Tony in the passenger seat. Unfortunately there's a yellow flag on the second lap caused by a Caterham off:

A couple of Kevin's lap in his Rubystone RS. You'll see the speed of young Dan as he blasts past on the second lap:

Just after 4 pm we called an end to the day and set off to our respective destinations. For Chris, Kev, John, Paul and myself it was the Europort at Rotterdam. The expected one and bit hour journey took us close on two and a half hours because of standing traffic on the Rotterdam ring road. Luckily we had left enough spare time and made it to the ferry home. Once on board we could relax, eat, drink more beer and reminisce about what turned out to be a fantastic trip.

The End.

Final pics of going home:

Last edited by boxsey911; 07-22-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a great trip Steve, plus an amazing group cars!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another grat write up Boxsey. These trips are habit forming!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mf_rsr
Looks like a great trip Steve, plus an amazing group cars!!!
Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Another grat write up Boxsey. These trips are habit forming!
Thanks guys. As we all know, the thing that makes these trips special is sharing them with others. Driving such great and historic tracks in 20+ year old cars that take it in their stride is just a bonus.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Great to read that and watch the videos Steve!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Some track pics from Spa.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:20 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Weather at Spa look's worse than we had in March!

Looks like you got some decent dry running as well though
Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by freedman
Weather at Spa look's worse than we had in March!

Looks like you got some decent dry running as well though
We had two seasons in one day mate. Tipping down in the morning and baking hot in the afternoon. The timings on my BaT pics showed that the photographer took most of them in the morning when I was one of the few out there. As a result, I got 99 pics for my 30 quid!

...and I still kept it on the black stuff despite them giving me number 13!

Quick Reply: European Track Tour 2014