Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo install: speakers, subwoofer, amp, sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Still making progress. I finished cleaning out all the adhesive on the rear deck of the car only to be soon covered again when I lay down Dynamat Extreme on top of it followed by a new set of Porsche factory insulation. This is totally nutty and I was cursing myself the whole time I was removing the adhesive with small scrapers, and a rag drenched in mineral spirits. I finally wiped everything down with Simple Green and will degrease again prior to application of the dynamat.

I also used my pattern successfully for the left side door. Photo of pattern cutout in progress.
Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

The factory sound proofing replacement parts are very different than what was originally used in our cars. I received the two piece kit for the rear panel and it is a thick pressed felt material. The original sound proofing is much heavier with a foam substructure with a heavy black layer on tom (MLV?). I wonder if it works as well. In my car I am laying Dynamat underneath then will add the new Porsche sound insulation parts on top. It comes with adhesive on the back now. No need to apply new glue.

I am using the new sound proofing as a pattern to cut out my Dynamat and so far that is working well.
Attached Images   

Last edited by RicardoD; 07-24-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice going ... Working on my door cards too ... Are you using 3mm varnished?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

What do you mean by 3mm varnished?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM
HiWind
Race Car

For the cards ie door panels ... Or are you keeping your old ones? I guess you are.
Sorry I didn't post the drawing for the speaker spacer ... Nice job, enviable neatness!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:05 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I am keeping my car stock and re-using the existing door panels. I did spray some varnish on the MDF speaker adapters but more importantly I am using speaker baffles (kinda like the factory did) to protect the speakers against any water intrusion into the door panel. The fact the the inside door sheet metal is compeltely line with plastic water liner is a basic admission that water gets in the doors. There are little drain holes as well at the bottom of the doors. I will post photos when I get to that point.

I'm not too thrilled with the new factory sound proofing and I may have just bought an expensive pattern to copy. I am reviewing changing it to DynaPad or the B-quiet V-comp or L-comp barrier layer stuff.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:16 PM
HiWind
Race Car

True re the water ... I'd be surprised if your dynamat+new proofing isn't ion par or better than the old (rubber+foam+styrofoam) based on my recent experience ... Plus my run of the mill compound pioneers sound way better thanks to bitumen lining in doors (not a lot) and that speaker surround that other road noise is irrelevant ... I don't have sub or tweets and removed the crossovers in the door panels
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Got one speaker in the door today and prepared the new tweeters to fit inside the existing tweeter holders. They are the perfect size for the factory tweeter holder. I just glued them in with thin rim of epoxy. I will do a bit of dynamat on the doors. The door is not one flat panel and I don't want to rip off the plastic shield. I am applying here and there which should be effective.
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we see a pic of the pair and the garage? You are so neat i would like to see it!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:16 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Here you go. My last project before this was a remodel of the garage. Its Craftsman cabinets and workbenches with their versa track system on the walls. My main tool chest is a harbor freight one and the flooring I put down myself from Race Deck.

I am out of town this weekend so I won't be able to wrap up the stereo install until probably next weekend. The custom subwoofer should arrive today.
Attached Images    
Old 07-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Ricardo,
Looks great! I kinda thought your garaged would be "sorted". Lol.. Thanks for the pics. How do you like the flooring?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it possible to have garage envy? I think it is
Old 07-26-2014, 09:16 AM
VR6-er
Racer

Sktaeboard rack. Now thats cool.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:26 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I got both door card re-installed today. I am also happy that my install will retain the original speaker grills to keep the stock look on the door panels.

One thing I would change however is to make my MDF speaker adapters that I mount on the door about 1/4" (6.35mm)thick. I used 1/2" thick and am trying to stuff a bit too much under the door card. I made it work but about 1/4" less in thickness would have been perfect.
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Is that a woofer or midrange? Thanks for updating . I will be doing the same thing when i get a chance. Hope it is worth all the effort.

Quick Reply: Stereo install: speakers, subwoofer, amp, sound insulation