Sponsored by:

Warning light help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning light help

I just bought my 1st 964 ( yeah! ...pics to follow). The previous owner had told me that intermittently a trio of warning lights would come on. They are the !, the brake and the interlock warning lights.

I drove it 500 miles home and on the last 1/4 mile before home they popped on. When i started it an hour later they were still on. I checked brake fluid level and it is fine. Any suggestions? Ok to drive? I need to get it inspected for my new tags so i cant have any warning lights on in my state.(TN). Thanks!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Check the brake fluid level sensor itself
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Ok...total Noob here. What should i look for? Are you saying just replace the sensor? Check for loose connections? Thank you.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:21 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to be more specific on what light is lit. In the owners manual it tells you if it is brake wear, brake fluid, it as simple as e-brake up. My car had a broken wear sensor wire I replaced today and the wear sensor light is now gone. Let us know and we can help.
Good luck.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Greg, it is 3 lights all at the same time. ( see my 1st post)Today they were not on. The previous owner said they appear intermittently, and with no rhyme or reason.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

When you start the car, put the key in and turn it on but don't start the car. You will here the pressure pump pressuring the system. I'm going to guess that it likely will take a long time before shutting off at full pressure. Count how many seconds...it should be around 45? Can't remember exactly, someone else may chime in with the right number. Anyway, mine was around two minutes and so I replaced the pressure bomb up front and that resolved that.

But I was getting the warning lights like you for the pressure issue... It's a good idea to do a full bleed of the system anyway if you don't know when it was last done.

Also, make sure you find a shop that has the right tool (Bosch kts301 or similar clone) to properly bleed the entire system, if you don't plan to do it yourself, and that they know how to open the diff locks to bleed etc. Most don't. Just sayin. Ricardo did a fantastic writeup here a while back if you are interested in reading up on the procedure. I think it's in the DIY section.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look in the owners manual, I believe there is a section that describes which lights are a real problem, and which should be addresses, but do not make the car unsafe to drive. I can say that my brake and interlock lights on my 89 C4 always stayed on too long when I first started the car. That is until last week when I finally bled the hydraulic system. Problem solved.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to take it in to show my local mechanic my new haul and will have him bleed the system while i'm there. Don't. Think it's been done in a few years.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck, and be sure your mechanic understands the somewhat strange nuances of the bleeding procedure. Where in TN? I grew up in Nashvegas.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
Ok...total Noob here. What should i look for? Are you saying just replace the sensor? Check for loose connections? Thank you.
Loose connection/corrosion at the connectors, as well as make sure the float inside is free and not stuck.
BTW - did a buzzer sound when you got the 3 lights?
Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine started doing it a few weeks ago. Topped it up with brake fluid and good to go!

These cars are quite sensitive with the fluid level. Should be sitting right at the max line on the reservior.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

No buzzer, but mine is between the min/max level. I will top it off and see if that helps. Love this site!

Quick Reply: Warning light help