Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racedeck 964 garage (and my Tip is finally running right!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:03 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Racedeck 964 garage (and my Tip is finally running right!)

Hey guys,

I've been a stranger for a while around here. I did a major overhaul of my 1991 C2 Tiptronic (engine drop, clean up, reseal, brake lines, etc) last year and then I screwed up the timing on my car when I had to go back in a change the cam shaft to cam housing gaskets (which idiot Ricardo did not do when the engine was out). What a frustration to get 99% of the way there and fail at the last 1%. So I just set the Tip project aside for while and remodeled my garage to turn it into a proper workspace for myself.

Here is what my garage looks like now. I rented a POD which was put in my driveway and dumped all my garage stuff in there. Then I contracted out a drywall and painting crew to finish the walls and ceiling. I ordered the RaceDeck flooring and put that in myself. Then I went to town using Sears Craftsman Versatrack and cabinetry to get everything organized. Finally I bought a big tool chest from Harbour Freight that I've always wanted to finally have a proper place to store my tools. Combine all that with the MaxJax lift and I am pretty much in Porsche 964 workshop heaven.

With the garage remodel done, I called in a professional to help me with my cam timing. If you are in the Northern California Bay Area area Tom Amon is mobile air cooled 911 mechanic who do onsite work on your car. I removed the rear bumper and all the other bits for Tom to have easy access to the cams and upper valves. First thing Tom did was check the timing and sure enough I was pretty far off (car still ran but like crap) which was great news as that confirmed my suspicion that I had screwed that up the cam timing. Knowing what problem to fix is half the battle. I watched Tom adjust the cam timing and dial me it to 1.26mm +/- 0.1. He's been doing this for over 40 years so it was a real joy to watch him work and learn a thing or two. I think i won't screw it up next time with what I learned. Tom had a terrific attitude with me and I think I earned his respect with all the other work I had done. He encouraged me to have no fear and to call him up when I'm in over my head. I'm ready to give a crack at an entire engine rebuild knowing Tom can assist me through the critical steps but I will leave that for the next Porsche project.

Finally I got my 1991 964 tip out on the road tonight (with the proper cam timing) and I was blown away. Number one the engine runs incredibly now with the cam timing right and with all the other engine work I had done. Secondly with the new engine mounts and maintenance the car is just super smooth and solid. Exactly the Grand Touring feel I was after. It has the factory stock suspension but the struts feel like new. My C4 feels like crap in comparison. I think on my C4 I have blown motor mounts and the ride on the H&R Green & Bilstein shocks feel like crap. Somethings not right on my C4. I think I am also responding to the lighter & crisper C2 steering feel as well. My C2 is pretty much the best oil cooled street 911 I have ever driven. Its not super fast but incredibly solid and smooth in every aspect of the car.

I need to recharge the A/C and upgrade the stereo system next so keep an eye out for posts about those projects.
Attached Images      
Old 07-04-2014, 05:22 AM
seeq
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice remodel garage! And good to hear the C2 is back on the road.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Good news about your C2 and your garage looks awesome, it is so nice and clean and with all the right stuff. I'm jealous!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Awesome Ricardo. Welcome back.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey RicardoD

Nice car AND garage, I'm so jealous i just seen to get a cleaned up garage
this is inspiring...like the floor

glenn
Old 09-03-2014, 03:37 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice work Ricardo! I missed this thread and wondered what ever happened with timing in your car. I'm glad you got an expert to check it out for you.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Congratulations! And glad to see your project(s) are coming together.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Driving my car everyday now guys. Starting to get to know the Tiptronic quirks. Its almost running 100% perfect but I have an issue after a cold start (starts fine) but will hesitate and "pop" under throttle if I just cold start the car and start moving without a bit of warm-up. I will post about it separately to help troubleshoot.

Next step for me to get the Silver C4 on the lift and do a complete re-seal on that car. Its leaks like the exxon valdez now in the usual places.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Next step for me to get the Silver C4 on the lift and do a complete re-seal on that car. Its leaks like the exxon valdez now in the usual places.
As always, I look forward to reading and seeing pics of your work. Your posts are an inspiration for doing similar work on my car.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:31 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks awesome, I am looking into going the racedeck route this winter in my garage. I am working on final touches to get it where I want before laying the floor.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garage is awesome!!! Cars ain't bad either!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:41 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great garage and props for coming out about the cam timing Great service to have a air-cooled mobile mechanic handly
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At first quick glance I thought It said "Redneck garage" and when I was done I was set straight. Now I get it. Good job.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great shop! Question on the Racedeck...did you go with the "regular" tiles, or the tiles with the "ShockTower" inserts. If you went with the regular, do you have issues with the floor "clicking" as you walk on it?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:55 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
Garage is awesome!!! Cars ain't bad either!
+1 Awesome work

Quick Reply: Racedeck 964 garage (and my Tip is finally running right!)