Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand alone ECU project

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:51 AM
biggles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. Bought an AEM box but would certainly prefer a stand alone that is truly set up for the 964. Was talking to a guy name David Hampshire at a company call Canems in the UK (http://www.canems.co.uk/), who has a standalone ECU for the 3.2 and was planning to build one for the 3.6, but seems like he has put it on whole. Certainly, will follow along as I am putting my low boost turbo back together and need a Stand alone ECU.
biggles

Last edited by biggles; 07-04-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

This is all a bit over my head, but having read through the whole thread some of it's starting to come clear in my mind and looking forward to see how the project develops Alex.
Hope to see you sometime and discuss it further.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:01 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by biggles
Great thread. Bought an AEM box but would certainly prefer a stand alone that is truly set up for the 964. Was talking to a guy name David Hampshire at a company call Canems in the UK (http://www.canems.co.uk/), who has a standalone ECU for the 3.2 and was planning to build one for the 3.6, but seems like he has put it on whole. Certainly, will follow along as I am putting my low boost turbo back together and need a Stand alone ECU.
biggles
I spoke to Redtek today apparently they have been using canems recently and find it user friendly, so you are in good company if you go that way

The AEM looks well specced but i have come across a few people that couldnt get them working right and the AEM o2/boost gauge that i have isn't the most confidence inspiring bit of electronic engineering i have seen. Their tech support didnt seem to think it was an issue that the voltage output drifted arround even though they suggest using it as an input to their ecus. I have also seen a few for sale s/h which you dont see much for standalone ecus.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Hi AlexJC4, I'm posting on behalf of Fuch he asked me to stop by and I have been reading your thread, have you got this ECU fitted and running on a base map yet?, i'm an engine tuner by trade and have mapped quite a few standalone systems including Motec, Gems, DTA, MBE etc. this system looks very capable and good value for the money, if I can help at all feel free to ask me anything :-)
Chris Todd.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fuch
Hi AlexJC4, I'm posting on behalf of Fuch he asked me to stop by and I have been reading your thread, have you got this ECU fitted and running on a base map yet?, i'm an engine tuner by trade and have mapped quite a few standalone systems including Motec, Gems, DTA, MBE etc. this system looks very capable and good value for the money, if I can help at all feel free to ask me anything :-)
Chris Todd.
Hi Chris, thanks for posting, I'll definitely take you up on the offer of some help/advice when the time comes

The ECU is being assembled and tested on a 964 in Estonia as I type. So hopefully will be with me in the next week or two.

I am quite excited to get it fitted and running. Hopefully it should be fairly straight forward to get the car running OK on the base map. But just in case I've taken the last week off work in August to play with it

PS Are you the same Chris Todd with the bonkers 11 second rear engined Fiesta?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

>I am quite excited to get it fitted and running

Yep, me to. We're all watching & waiting
Old 07-23-2014, 02:44 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Hi Chris, thanks for posting, I'll definitely take you up on the offer of some help/advice when the time comes

The ECU is being assembled and tested on a 964 in Estonia as I type. So hopefully will be with me in the next week or two.

I am quite excited to get it fitted and running. Hopefully it should be fairly straight forward to get the car running OK on the base map. But just in case I've taken the last week off work in August to play with it

PS Are you the same Chris Todd with the bonkers 11 second rear engined Fiesta?
Yes Alex it's mr Todd with his mad fiesta now running a porsche boxter gearbox as every gearbox he's tried blows up and the Boxter gearbox seems to be holding out well!....fuch
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 AM
biggles
Pro

Thanks for the feedback Alex. Not to change this topic, but do you know if they are using the Canems in a 3.2 or 3.6 964 and which AEM box are you using?

biggles
Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by biggles
Thanks for the feedback Alex. Not to change this topic, but do you know if they are using the Canems in a 3.2 or 3.6 964 and which AEM box are you using?

biggles
I think he have used canems (and lots of other EMS) with both 3.2 and 3.6 tbh - he builds all sorts of 911 engines.

The AEM device I have is this one. Great concept, and does basically what it's supposed to but I wouldn't want to rely on its outputs to actually do anything useful/important with...
http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...failsafe-gauge
Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexjc4
I
PLAN

To begin with I will keep the twin coils and distributors
Fit an analog/potentiometer TPS
Remove AFM and add a separate MAT.
Add wideband 02
Convert to Speed Density (MAP) operation
Test idle and review if AplhaN+Map compensation would be better
[/url]
Hi Alex,

Would you mind explaining a little more about these two step:

1) Fit an analog/potentiometer TPS
Have you identified the part you'll need and how to mount it?

2) Remove AFM and add a separate MAT.

MAT ? the abbreviation escapes me at the mo..
Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robt964
Hi Alex,

Would you mind explaining a little more about these two step:

1) Fit an analog/potentiometer TPS
Have you identified the part you'll need and how to mount it?

2) Remove AFM and add a separate MAT.

MAT ? the abbreviation escapes me at the mo..
1) you have a couple of options, you can fit the TPS sensor from a tiptronic 964 (£150 from Porsche iirc) which bolts straight up, and plugs in where the throttle open/closed switches plug. Or, Peep's suggestion was to buy one for a Opel Omega A 2.0 (Vauxhall Carlton?) and make little bracket =£10.

2) the AFM (barn door airflow meter) has a built in air intake temp sensor, if you go to speed/density you don't need the flow meter but you do still need a temp sensor. Normally I'd call it AIT tbh but the VEMS documentation generally calls it (manifold air temp) or MAT - they are fairly generic sensors but you ideally need to know the resistance vs voltage curve. I bought one that comes with a calibration chart from EFI-parts.co.uk.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Alex,

Do you mean MAF ? I never heard of MAT before.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R6XTERRA
Alex,

Do you mean MAF ? I never heard of MAT before.

Jeff
lol no I hadn't heard MAT used for AIT/IAT myself until I started reading VEMS documentation and community discussions. I think it's a European term.

While we're doing TLAs, here's a small aside on MAF vs AFM:
Bosch call AFM (barn door) type meters "Pitot-tube flowmeters" and call MAF (tube) type meters "hot film air-mass meters". I understand that there is a subtle difference in what they measure: air flow rate (AFM) vs air-mass flow rate (MAF). MAF is used on the 993 and continues to be the standard for production engine management systems, sometimes combined with MAP sensor sometimes on its own.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:03 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I thought it was a terminology thing from different countries as well, too funny.

My car just went in to the shop to remove my AFM and convert it to a MAF.

Hoping to have my car back tomorrow by days end.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

^^^ what are the details of this conversion?
Are you still using the original motronic? Different chip?

Quick Reply: Stand alone ECU project