Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo kit for our 964 - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Turbo kit for our 964 - Worth it?

Hi guys, I was looking at the item described below. I was wondering what you thought of it...

Any other mods required? I'd assume at least an ECU tune
Is it worth it?
Do you have any experience with that?

This setup includes twin K16/K24 turbos that were OE equipment on 996 GT2 cars. This is basically the largest-flowing "stock" turbo setup ever offered by Porsche prior to the VTG turbos fitted in the 997 era. The BorgWarner part numbers are 53249707005 and 53249707006. The Porsche part numbers are 99612398371 and 99612398471.

It is strongly advised to use the OE (996TT) oil inlet check valves that come standard on those cars but are not included in the auction. This combined with running a good scavenge system and a proper oil level in the tank will remove the risk of exhaust oil smoke problems. Please have yourself some troubleshooting and do these things right from the beginning!

In stock form, this pair of turbos made 476hp and 470ft-lbs but with a little more boost, more output is possible. On my 964, this setup made 472hp and 500ft-lbs TO THE WHEELS on about 13psi. There was more left... a bit more boost would have taken it over 500whp easily. My engine was built with 8:1 compression. (using 993TT pistons)

The manifolds will bolt up to factory 964 heads (again, 1990 is all I can confirm) using a factory c-seal gasket ring.

Everything was perfectly operational when removed in 2010... it was removed in exchange for fitting a different turbo kit.

The downpipes include O2 sensor bosses and the muffler setup is designed to fit a 964 body.
Attached Images    
Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very tempting I'm sure...

Plus points that I can see:
Grin-factor!!! Awesome acceleration that will leave most cars in their tracks.

Minus points, aside from the cost:
Personally I prefer the normally-aspirated snappiness compared to the turbo, in off- and low-load situations.
Unless you have a C4, it's going to be a real animal to drive, especially in the wet - maybe this is plus-point, depending on you...
The car is not geared up for it in terms of cooling, brakes, drive-train, wheel and tyre sizes etc.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:01 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Yeah my car is a C4 :-)

I was indeed concerned about the turbo lag. Not a lot of info about when the turbo will kick in.
As for the cost, I was thinking it would be a fairly cheap way to add lots of power.
I used to drive a 930 and it's true that it's wild in the wet. the C4 should help though

Cooling is a good point. Didn't think of that.
The other points you mentioned will be upgraded
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

old turbos that havent been used in 4 years, no cooling solution... what could go wrong?

do you plan on building your motor, or at least lowering compression?
youd have to come up with a tuning solution.

if you want to run a turbo, i think you'd be better off starting from scratch.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

I am indeed planning on building the engine.
Ideally, I'd like to bring it to 400hp.
I thought that the turbo route could be interesting

I have no clue about the cooling, that's why I'm asking for opinions here.
Have you ever had one?

thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like you would still need to fab up all of the intercooler and intake piping. Not something that would be cheap or easy to do. Then you would need a whale tale in order to fit an intercooler
Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 PM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

I had a 964 3.3 turbo a few years back (when they were cheap...). Turbo lag was a bit annoying but the kick made up for it... With the standard exhaust and cat, the boost did not come in until 3500rpm. I then had a Hayward & Scott equal length primary headers, decat and sports exhaust put on it, and it reduces the turbo cut-in to 2500rpm. You should have better than that with twin-turbos.

Personally, I dont like turbo engines - I discovered this after owning the 964 turbo. It was also to do with the fact that the car was heavier on account of the wider body, brakes etc, but I prefer the normally aspirated nimbleness, snappiness and the exhaust-roar, any day. I bought the Turbo because it was legendary, and although it wasn't disappointing, it wasn't my recipe. I wouldnt have another one, and I've always stayed clear of other road-cars with turbos.

However, each to his own - it depends what you want out of it.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:32 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Just to check your definition of "fairly cheap."

You'll need: a custom burned chip (Steve W? to get an initial tune), bigger injectors to not run out of fuel, lower compression pistons and cylinders, oil line plumbing for the turbos, intake and intercooler plumbing, a turbo tail to fit the intercooler, a stouter clutch package, and all the parts that you'll end up replacing while you're in the motor. That's $10k++, excluding the price of these used turbos. Not sure what emission testing is like where you are, but there are no cats on that exhaust.

Definitely fun. Not likely cheap!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

No emission where I live (Canada has some good sides, you know)
Cheap as in it could cost an extra 2k for an extra 150hp
The rest of the stuff I would do anyway (well, not the whale tail as I don't like the look of it)
Old 06-25-2014, 06:12 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Cool. Here are my random thoughts....
I'm sure it would be super fun - especially in a C4. I love turbos - of course I live at 5300 ft and NA cars lose a lot of power up here. Love the torque. While I have never done a turbo conversion on a Porsche - and I know there are waaaayyyy more knowledgeable people around here than me - waaaay more but that kit looks like a decent start. I'm sure you've exchanged emails with the seller and he can tell you about what mods he did to cooling, braking, etc. Does the 964 have the same oil cooler/ oil cooler fan as the 964 turbo? Supposedly the earlier fans (the one on top of the engine) with straight blades push more air than the newer ones that are quieter? But a big oil cooler would likely be better than a fan swap. If you are building a motor anyway- cool - just build it with forced induction in mind. Yes will need an intercooler and associated plumbing - which will be more complex for a twin turbo setup. Can a stock 964 Motronic ECU be configured to account for boost?? Might need to go stand alone?? Or maybe look for a 993 TT ECU? Not sure if the harnesses have the same connector at the ECU..?

I like turbos but a supercharger would likely be a lot less complex.

Keep us posted
Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Can a stock 964 Motronic ECU be configured to account for boost??
Protomotive has a setup that works well.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by breljohn
Cheap as in it could cost an extra 2k for an extra 150hp...
I think you're off by about an order of magnitude. New pistons will cost nearly that by themselves.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
I think you're off by about an order of magnitude. New pistons will cost nearly that by themselves.
was only talking about the turbo kit
New pistons and the rest of the engine build will no matter what be done
Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 AM
964TT
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

There's nothing like a great turbo package...its so much fun, just unbelievable! Count on 20-25K (at least) if you do it right. Everything needs to be reconsidered, thats what I did anyway.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
tomato
Instructor

Hi 964 TT. Thanks for your posts on the conversion. 20-25000 euros? Just for engine work? Is that what you spent?

Quick Reply: Turbo kit for our 964 - Worth it?