Leaking Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 AM
snijim
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Steering Rack

Folks,

Pulled the 964 out of hibernation to a puddle of fluid. Steering rack is leaking. What's the forum's wisdom on:
* Replacing steering rack w/ rebuilt unit and new tie rods
* Reseal the existing rack with this kit

Summer has finally arrived after the long winter, and while the motorcycle is fun, the 964 is flat awesome for running around with the kids.

Thoughts, points of interest, advice?

Thx.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a problem with a broken boot(from P.O.) that let grit get inside, so I replaced the rack, with a rebuilt from Vertex. Was around $600.00 after sending back the old rack. If you feel confident to rebuild it yourself, $78.00 seems like a good deal. You don't need to replace tie rod ends, unless there is a problem. You don't even have to re align if you take some measurements, and put things back, the same way. Be sure to order new rack bolts. Maybe, someone who has done the rebuild,can chime in?
Did you search the forum?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this thread. Multiple members claim success with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and loads of positive internet reviews back it up. Might be worth a try; certainly it's cheaper and easier than a rack R&R.

The jury is still out in my case; it seems to work for a bit and then the car starts leaking again. Probably no way for me to escape a reseal/rebuild of some sort.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 AM
snijim
AutoX

My thoughts are, seals do wear out over time, and this year my C2 is old enough to drink. I'm thinking she merits new seals.

I'm not confident in my own ability to rebuild the rack, so I'd be looking for a competent mechanic that stands by his work to execute the fix. I want a comprehensive fix - I love my C2 and intend on keeping it for a long, long time.

What's the collective wisdom on having the existing rack rebuilt versus getting a rebuilt rack? The latter option is much pricier - ~1700-1900 in parts.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:13 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

When mine started leaking, I bought a used rack from DC Automotive (http://www.dcauto.com/) for ~$350 (much better than $1,500+ for a new rack). It's been in for ~2 years with no issues.

Also see here for remanufactured rack, but note that you need to either send them your old rack as a core or pay another $350: http://www.allzim.com/store/cart.php...ct_list&c=3864
Old 05-20-2014, 01:33 PM
hans57
Instructor

I put Lucas in mine with no success to date. Been in about a month, used about ten ounces so far. Oh well. At least my system is getting flushed.
The aforementioned re-manufactured rack supplier suggests on their website to also replace the reservoir with a new one to prevent contamination of the new rack, due to a dirty internal filter.
Anybody heard of that?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
snijim
AutoX

In the end, going with new rack and tie rods. Zoom zoom!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:04 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I found the rack leaking when I had the car in for a Tech Inspection for an upcoming DE at the Glen. As a temporary fix, I used the Lucas power steering stop leak. The leaks stopped, and it hasn't dripped since then.

Oh yea.....that was in June of 2006!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:24 PM
snijim
AutoX

Glad it worked for you!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My take on the Lucas stuff is it swells the rubber seals to expand hence stops the leaks but it is a temporary fix at best and eventually a strip down and recon job is required. Once the seals elongate they perish quicker because they are weakened Just my two cents.

Normally these products are designed for people who wish to sell cars and get them through inspections and let the new owner fix the faults but I am no authority on the topic
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR786
My take on the Lucas stuff is it swells the rubber seals to expand hence stops the leaks but it is a temporary fix at best and eventually a strip down and recon job is required. Once the seals elongate they perish quicker because they are weakened Just my two cents.

Normally these products are designed for people who wish to sell cars and get them through inspections and let the new owner fix the faults but I am no authority on the topic
We'll, I'm the exception! Now 8 years leak free after using it. Also, a few years ago there was a thread about what fluid goes in the P.S. System. I used, and still use power steering fluid, which is (supposedly) wrong.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 PM
snijim
AutoX

!
Shiny new gear, with new tie rods and boots.

Zoom zoom!

Quick Reply: Leaking Steering Rack