Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964/993 Cell phone holders

Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 964/993 Cell phone holders

I have taken up a new hobby. I ventured out on Kickstarter and purchased a 3D printer.
It is amazing and addictive (almost as much as a PCar) . I am an IT guy with a Degree in electronic engineering so I like to make things. I have been able to tie my love of Porsches and 3D printing together.
I have developed some phone holders specifically for the Porsche 964/993. I love gadgets and I use my phone in my vehicles for navigation, music ..etc. but I hate those one holder fits all holder with Velcro and suction cups that never stay and then you have to plug in your power cord …. So I decided to design a phone holder specific to the car and to the phone. I have 3 phones that I have designs for : Samsung Galaxy S4 , IPhone 5s and the IPhone 4S . I have 5 holders for these, 3 for the Porsche , 1 for the Audi A4 and a tape cassette mount for my Toyota sequoia which is more of a universal fit. I can design for different phones as they are requested.
I am Selling these for $50 -$65 each, I have seen a universal fit design for the 911 made of metal for $140 which looks really nice but again it is a one holder fits all type of thing.
Pictures are below ,
1 ) $50 Ashtray holder, It can be used with a usb power cord attached or without.
2) $65 Cigarette lighter holder. It has a built in USB power source that charges the phone and holds it in place.
3 )$50 end cap holder . It replaces a trim plate end cap on dashboard.
4) $50 Universal Cassette tape deck holder. The mount is shaped like a cassette tape .
5) $50 Audi A4 B8 ashtray holder

I can also work with you to make a custom holder for your car as well at an extra charge.
If you are interested please email me at john@rygg.biz with the type of holder you want , the type of phone you have (Samsung Galaxy S4 , Iphone 4 , Iphone 5 or Custom request) and if you will want to perminantly mount a charging cable to it.

You can follow my adventures on rennlist here if you are interested
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ree-stuff.html

1 ) $50 Ashtray holder, It can be used with a usb power cord attached or without.

2) $65 Cigarette lighter holder. It has a built in USB power source that charges the phone and holds it in place

3 )$50 end cap holder . It replaces a trim plate end cap on dashboard.

4) $50 Universal Cassette tape deck holder. The mount is shaped like a cassette tape .

5) $50 Audi A4 B8 ashtray holder
Old 05-13-2014, 11:21 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

The endcap holder is now also available for RHD cars
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-14-2014, 10:57 AM
BeachBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also bought a 3D printer on kickstarter, mine has been delayed quite a lot though, still haven't received it yet!

I have read you can remove the "layer" roughness by rubbing the material with some kind of alchool? It gives a smooth finish.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:46 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
I also bought a 3D printer on kickstarter, mine has been delayed quite a lot though, still haven't received it yet!

I have read you can remove the "layer" roughness by rubbing the material with some kind of alchool? It gives a smooth finish.
Hang in there, mine took 6 months to get. but the discount by getting it on kickstarter was worth it compared to the cost of a makerbot or cube.

rubbing the plastic with alcohol will not give it a smooth finish.
you can vapor polish the plastic which involves heating up a chemical in something like a deep fat fryer . This turns the chemical in to a gas that will coat the plastic and basically melt the plastic and smoothing out the printing layers.
I have tried it and it does work, but it is not easy to control the outcome . I did this with one of my phone holders and it changed the fit and dimension of the holder so the phone would no longer slide in smoothly.

here is a thread on vapor polishing

Let me know if you need any help getting started with your printer.
it can be a bit more art than science at first.
John
Old 05-14-2014, 01:52 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

I bought this one: http://pirate3d.com/ with ABS support (heated bed)

i also bought a 3D scanner (https://www.matterform.net/) so the two together shoul dbe fun, I have used a lot of Romer arms and Laser Trackers at work so I should be able to do some 3D modeling.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:09 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Looks like a great deal, do yourself a favor and start printing in PLA first. it is easier to use and is more forgiving. the scanner looks very interesting also, I have not seen one at that low of a price yet.

love to see your results!

John
Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 PM
browse964
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

John,

Very nice work! Can you please explain what finish it comes with. it looks like the raw product is grey, but you finish it black? Does it have the look of a 964 quality part when the phone is not installed?

I am interested in the ashtray version...

Thx

Brad
Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by browse964
John,

Very nice work! Can you please explain what finish it comes with. it looks like the raw product is grey, but you finish it black? Does it have the look of a 964 quality part when the phone is not installed?

I am interested in the ashtray version...

Thx

Brad

The plastic I print with is Black and it comes out black. the pictures may make it look like is has a different finish but it is the color of the raw product.
it has a very good finish , it is a 3d printed part and not a molded part so you can see the layers. I have attached a high res image so you can have a better look.

the holder looks very good , but can I compare it to a part that comes from Porsche ? No it would take a much higher quality part to match what Porsche does.

Is it functional ? Yes .
Would I put it in a Porsche ? yes

Old 05-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is very cool, props for all the effort and creativity. Perhaps creaing some type of mini cubby where the ashtray is would be another great thing; something along the lines of how the radio delete looks. Just a little ridge to prevent things from falling out, and line it with non-slip rubber so nothing inside slides around that much.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
This is very cool, props for all the effort and creativity. Perhaps creaing some type of mini cubby where the ashtray is would be another great thing; something along the lines of how the radio delete looks. Just a little ridge to prevent things from falling out, and line it with non-slip rubber so nothing inside slides around that much.
Thanks it is a fun hobby, hopefully we can come up with some good parts for the 964.

I will think about the ashtray cubby

john
Old 07-05-2014, 11:26 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Hi all , I got a report of a rennlister with one of my phone holders had an issue with a holder that was left in the car during a very hot day.

The Holder shrank slightly due to the heat making the phone harder to slide in.
The plastic that I use melts in the printer at 350 Degrees F and has a heat deflection temp of 140 degrees (that is the point where it will start to soften).

The ashtray part does not seem to be affected , but the phone holder is thin enough to change its shape slightly.

If you have one of my holders please take it inside with you during extremely hot days.
This is the first I have seen of this, but I am sending a new holder to the rennlister that told me of the issue.

I am also looking at plastic that is dishwasher safe and can handle high temps.

Thanks
John
Old 02-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Marc1
8th Gear

Hey guys, just wanted to say I bought one of John's products. Very happy customer. More details in another thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...l#post12042406
Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 01-07-2017, 05:25 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Just installed the Rennline mount on my 3.3T
Attached Images