Oil level gauge inop

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 PM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil level gauge inop

I searched.

My oil level gauge moves just a bit when you turn the key on, warm or cold, it always stays at the very bottom of the scale, yes, I'm on a level surface at idle and yes, I have the right amount of oil, as per the dipstick, warm engine, flat ground.

Brand new oil level sender, when I pull it out, the oil is a little higher than the sender, so a little drips out. I verified the float was mounted the right way.

I manually move the sender float and the gauge moves appropriately.

I then bent the rod in a nice sweeping arc, still no movement of the gauge.

So, if I have enough oil, and the sender does work, what is keeping the sender from moving up and down when it is installed in the tank?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

In my experience, if your gauge is registering an oil level when the car is at a normal, driving around town, operating temperature, then you are likely overfilled.

Mine pretty much stays at the bottom and I instead use the dip stick to make sure I'm at an acceptable oil level.

The only time my gauge starts to register a level is when I have been driving/racing the heck out of the car for run-after-run at autocross or time trials.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Pedrcri
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue but I think Vandit is correct. I can never get my gauge to move much. I will try to see what happens on the next oil change. Taking it to the shop to have it done correctly as the guy I bought the car off did the oil change himself and over filled so I want to make sure everything is done right. If you are getting oil pressure and temp then you are fine. if there was no oil pressure then you have big problems.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM
seeq
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
In my experience, if your gauge is registering an oil level when the car is at a normal, driving around town, operating temperature, then you are likely overfilled.

Mine pretty much stays at the bottom and I instead use the dip stick to make sure I'm at an acceptable oil level.
I have same experience. +1 to use the dip stick.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I only see gauge movement if the oil is warm and the car stands still for a few minutes. My level is OK according to "the not very easy to read with fresh oil" dipstick.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My experience is different. My gauge corresponds with the oil level on the stick. I did an oil change yesterday, put in 8.5 quarts, started engine(was already warm). The gauge did not move until I got to 10.5 quarts. Then from 10.5 to 11, it moved up slowly to half(on the gauge). Is it possible you don't have enough oil in the tank?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I also trust my sender. It is very accurate compared to the stick.

If you disconnect the sender from the tank and move it by hand, does the gauge react?

Thomas
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 AM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to to trust the gauge, it is not low, it has been to the max level on the dipstick, now it's hanging at the 3/4 point between the min and max notches. Level ground, fully warmed up motor.

I have trusted and used the gauges on all the other 911's I've owned, 69 S, 78 & 79 SC's 72 and 73 hot rods and others....so, I really want to get this sorted.

Quick Reply: Oil level gauge inop