Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 'see through' convertible top - fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:53 PM
hpinfo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 'see through' convertible top - fixable?

First time in the car I noticed the headliner was a bit ragged, but other than that everything looked good. Then I got it in the shop, with lighting overhead, and looked up... There is a row of what I assume are worn-through spots where the top creases when folded. From the outside, they are invisible as they are tiny, but I'm certain they will let the Seattle rain through quite easily.

Since the rest of the top is nearly perfect, I don't really want to consider replacing the entire thing for these little holes. I'm curious if a strip of canvas could be glued with fabric adhesive to the affected area. Has anyone else had this issue and attempted a repair?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

never tried this product but....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on...-Seal/20850472
Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 PM
hpinfo
3rd Gear

Well, if I was trying to make my screen door work as the bottom of a boat, this stuff would be my first choice (I too have seen that hilarious commercial.)

I'm just wondering if doubling up on the canvas thickness at that bend point of the top is going to cause any problems. I also am concerned that whatever adhesive I use will be visible from the outside. Maybe some of that 3M spray adhesive would work?

This wear area has to be from having the top down A LOT. Maybe many cars have this issue but they can't see it because of the headliner.

Quick Reply: My 'see through' convertible top - fixable?