Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

As we don't know what it is, we can't judge it.

Some lab testing would be nice.

Personally, I'm happy with the option. At least I know someone has oil that isn't meant for the water pumpers.

Now as to why Porsche uses the 10w60 for the 73 onward 911s? Who knows, but it's thinner at the bottom than our beloved 20w50 or their own alternative thickness and that's not a bad thing for mechanical components.

Now, I would like to know where the oil comes from though. Motul, Pentosin, Liquimoly (spelling)... they all make supposedly good oil.

For me, after I pay for shipping, it all costs about the same. Only the 10w50 from Mobil 1 is an oil that is readily available that I would consider. And since my stash of BP is only good for 3 more oil changes, I've got some decisions to make soon.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
As we don't know what it is, we can't judge it. Some lab testing would be nice. Personally, I'm happy with the option. At least I know someone has oil that isn't meant for the water pumpers. Now as to why Porsche uses the 10w60 for the 73 onward 911s? Who knows, but it's thinner at the bottom than our beloved 20w50 or their own alternative thickness and that's not a bad thing for mechanical components. Now, I would like to know where the oil comes from though. Motul, Pentosin, Liquimoly (spelling)... they all make supposedly good oil. For me, after I pay for shipping, it all costs about the same. Only the 10w50 from Mobil 1 is an oil that is readily available that I would consider. And since my stash of BP is only good for 3 more oil changes, I've got some decisions to make soon.
Not to open the classic ongoing oil and what kind thread...but check the specs on the Mobil 1 where you live, relative to the brad penn. In the states, we have mandated out important ingredients for older flat tappet motors. I wouldn't use Mobil 1 in the states. Jmho.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:41 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
If anyone cares to send me a sample I'll spring to have a virgin oil analysis done on it; at least then we'll have an idea of exactly what Porsche think is the right concentration of this, that, and the other thing.

Need about 2oz (unused!) in a clean inert sample container.
Did this test / lab check ever happen?

They have plenty of blurb on this and yes, at 60(!) I would have thought it thicker at high temps than we would normally need - almost definitely, surely. Allegedly there are other additives included that considers typical winter layup's and short intermittent journeys etc. just right for aircooled blah blah.. but who knows.

http://www.motoringresearch.com/news...ars-0617944581

I need more convincing and at £65 plus delivery for 5L from Design911 it can stay on their shelf. I'll stick with Mobil 1 10W-40.

Nice can but for a lowly £2.45 you can have the engine classic oil sticker instead.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Typ181R90
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to come in as an outsider, but this oil created a bit of a stir in the BMW motorcycle community. I was following this thread for awhile to see if anyone got any results, but couldn't find any anywhere. Because of this, I actually did wind up getting some testing done, the testing was comparing it to a BMW oil, but you'll be able to see the lab results. Hope they prove helpful.

Part 1 - Getting the testing done
http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.c...-20w50-vs.html

Part 2 - Lab results
http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.c...-20w50-vs.html
Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 AM
Nautilus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Typ181R90
^Great info!

I am really surprised that Zn and P contents are below 1000 ppm in the Porsche Classic 20w50 oil
Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Looking through all the said tests and results above (and opinions and experiences too) I've decided to go for Millers Oils CFS 10W-50NT. Had a really good email convo with their tech guy around ZDDP and the various data sheets. Developed for larger performance engines of fast/hard road (and light track) use with apparently excellent metal coating properties for that important engine start and warm up. I did raise my old school concerns about fully-synth and high detergent content 'stripping' away too quickly the carbon deposits from the years of semi-synth use. His response confirmed really that it's not a problem at all with the new oils of today with their coating and high protection properties. Apparently there is such a wide mineral window from producer to producer of what is available and sold as semi-synth that you never properly know what you're getting anyway - I suppose obvious when you think about it...

All in it's about £48 / 5L. Plan on doing an oil service next week so will give it a go.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:39 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

oil discussion, I've seen one report that the classic Porsche 20w50 is UNDEr 1000ppm zinc, I haven't seen the # for the 10w60
I use Brad Penn in my 1987 911, 1500ppm Zn
Old 03-01-2015, 03:19 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

A virgin oil analysis (VOA) really tells us nothing more then what that specific test can see in the oil...Many additives may not even show up...The only true test is a very long and methodical series of Used Oil Analysis (UAO). The rest of most of these oil discussions is all conjecture and opinion. Pick an oil based on your intended use, change it at a reasonable interval. BP, Redline, Motul, Millers, etc. are all fine oils. I have used and tested almost all of them. You would be hard pressed to find any engine failures that could be blamed on the oil these days if you use the proper oil for your intended use.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

After all this I still don't know where to go in 9 months from now when I run out of BP.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:17 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I'm sticking to 10W60 Mobil 1, which has a high ZDDP content (1300 Parts Per Million) than the 10W60 Porsche classic oil (883 PPM).

As for viscosity well that's a personal preference according to use. But for my use I ain't running anything below 10W...
Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgiere
...Pick an oil based on your intended use, change it at a reasonable interval. BP, Redline, Motul, Millers, etc. are all fine oils. I have used and tested almost all of them.
After all the conjecture, oil facts and individual experiences I've decided to go with Millers Oils CFS 10W50 NT. I found the email responsiveness from Millers tech support to questions and queries excellent and really helpful. Mentioned all sorts of oil requirements and ZDDP content etc and his recommendation match is the one I shall be using this week (after first cleaning up some of the filter to engine pipe leaks!).
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Well I'm sticking to 10W60 Mobil 1, which has a high ZDDP content (1300 Parts Per Million) than the 10W60 Porsche classic oil (883 PPM). As for viscosity well that's a personal preference according to use. But for my use I ain't running anything below 10W...
Frank I'm curious. The whole zddp thing is an American phenom, with our government mandating zinc and phosphorus out of motor oils some years ago.

Have you seen any comparison btw Mobil 1 in Europe vs Mobil 1 in the states? I was searching and couldn't find any real info. I wood imagine they would have changed the formula and just made that their new oil, but who knows. Maybe they are two different oils...?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Frank I'm curious. The whole zddp thing is an American phenom, with our government mandating zinc and phosphorus out of motor oils some years ago.
Not anymore.

Just take careful note of many European oils which are now API-SM & API-SN rated products, all made to comply with European demands for extended cat longevity.

This is precisely why one needs to look very carefully at the details about any oil you decide to use. Or,....talk to people who have built engines for a living for awhile.

FWIW, a well known boutique oil manufacturer did run a VOA on Porsche's 20w-50 oil and found less than 1000 ppm of ZDDP along with shear problems that rendered this product into a 30w rather quickly indicating low-quality base stocks.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stick with 15W-40 diesel oil. Never had a problem with it and it slows down the leaks.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:04 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrosjean
I'll stick with 15W-40 diesel oil. Never had a problem with it and it slows down the leaks.
Older thread but thought I would mention something. Everyone is fully aware that Swepco 201 is "the" oil for your transmission and all of the benefits/magic it does for Porsche transmissions. An equally superior oil is made by Swepco for the engine too. That is Swepco 306 20w50. Not trying to start up a pros and cons on oils just providing info and something to consider. My 1976 911 (with 82sc 3.0) really loves the stuff - runs smoother and cooler.

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic motor oil