964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with a new Hobby - free stuff

Old 03-23-2014, 03:25 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the Idea , if you can point me to the thread I will take a look.

yes basically , you just have to download the (STL) file that sketchup can export. then you use that to send the print to your printer.
(if you are asking if sketchup drawings can easily be 3D printed then the answer is yes)

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
There's a thread in the 993 forum about the snaps for the trunk carpet when you have a strut brace. Maybe you could make extenders/new mounts to help the trunk carpet fit better?

Quick question - can you now print directly from google sketch up to a 3d printer?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Flea18
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone mount

Here's the mount in my cab - works really well in that spot. I thought I might have problems with gps reception but it's been 100% so far, both with the top up and down. Thanks John!
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Great it looks good let me know how it performs !!!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Here is the angled mount.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new and improved

John I look forward to helping you and giving you some ideas the first one being if you are going to be making cell phone holders you may plan on not putting them so low. If you have the phones up higher the driver can keep a eye on the road whilst looking at the phone. I can dial and see the road with the phone at the dash level. BUT I do this only once in a while // Look at the GPSs they are mounted on the window so the traffic is kinda still in sight instead of looking down at the phone .. Just my .5 cents// Good Luck you are on the right track ///
Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Hi all I have been busy with projects at work. But have been working on the holders here and there.
I have gotten good feedback from my testers and some fun ideas from my Rennlist friends. I have already sold a couple of the ashtray holders.
I have also figured out the cigarette lighter version for the iPhone 4 & 5 and am ready to start selling them or the ashtray mounts if anyone would like one I am charging $50 +shipping for them.

I will have to work on my marketing and post something better on Rennlist. but right now word of mouth is working well also.

I am also working on a universal magnet mount that works with a metal plate that attaches to your phone case. This design allows me to not have to worry about the 1000's of different sized phones and cases.
I should be able to print one out and post pictures out this week

Thanks for everyone's Help
John
Old 04-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Seaflat
Instructor

Great thread!
Cell Phone
I was looking at the placement yesterday, and I think while it is a great idea, it is a bit low and hard to see. Especially if you are going to use GPS. I need to post a picture but will try to describe.
I think a mount that could attach to the left corner of the dash (assuming left drive). So go hold a phone up to the left of the fuel gauge, almost where the dash wraps into the door trim. If the mount could hook onto that ledge or lip around that corner of the dash I think that would be better. It would put it up in the view of the driver, and that close you might could even use speaker phone.
I am assuming a vertical mount.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a mount that is a steel ring, used on an audi vent (TT) that has a ram mount ball....it fits around the gas gauge or the clock, and is almost invisible. I have it around the clock. a RAM extension puts the phone just beyond the clock, but doesn't block the dash vent or view of the radio/HVAC controls.

to me, this placement is ideal.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll been using John's ashtray set-up for my iphone for a few weeks now. It works just as advertised. It's very secure and doesn't flop around during spirited driving. I don't have the angled version but the phone is the correct height in relation to the shifter, so I can easily reach it.

This is my first exposure to 3D printing and I'm very impressed with John's work. Look forward to more innovations from him.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:58 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Seaflat
Great thread!
Cell Phone
I was looking at the placement yesterday, and I think while it is a great idea, it is a bit low and hard to see. Especially if you are going to use GPS. I need to post a picture but will try to describe.
I think a mount that could attach to the left corner of the dash (assuming left drive). So go hold a phone up to the left of the fuel gauge, almost where the dash wraps into the door trim. If the mount could hook onto that ledge or lip around that corner of the dash I think that would be better. It would put it up in the view of the driver, and that close you might could even use speaker phone.
I am assuming a vertical mount.
Thanks for the feedback I have a couple of ideas. I need to look at my car when I get home. So many good ideas here thanks!
John
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Was finally able to print out the universal magnet mount for the phone.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks very nice John, did I miss something or do you just take out the ashtray and slide in the holder and that is how it is secured?
I recently purchased a Clingo holder for my winter car. The Clingo works with adhesive rubber and really gives a secure hold on my iPhone even my wife´s which has a case on.
As I dont want to mount anything to to my device the adhesive is a good solution for me and therefore my idea was to mount that to your prototype holder somehow, screws etc....
Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 AM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Yes the mount slides in to the ashtray. it holds it very securely.
you could attach the metal plate with the adhesive to the clingo and that would attach to the magnets.

I have a magnet mount that is angled and one that is straight.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Suggestion if you ever wanted to make a new model. Maybe you could use the venilation vents in the middle of the dash to clamp a holder for a (Samsung Galaxy S4 ) in it. Then it will be easy to look at and if you only use one hole to clamp it, there is enough room left for the air cooling (plus you could cool your cell phone in case you have a Samsung phone )
Old 05-10-2014, 06:19 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RW964
John I look forward to helping you and giving you some ideas the first one being if you are going to be making cell phone holders you may plan on not putting them so low. If you have the phones up higher the driver can keep a eye on the road whilst looking at the phone. I can dial and see the road with the phone at the dash level. BUT I do this only once in a while // Look at the GPSs they are mounted on the window so the traffic is kinda still in sight instead of looking down at the phone .. Just my .5 cents// Good Luck you are on the right track ///

Well I think I have a phone holder for about every spot in the car now.
Here is one I just made that uses the place where the trim cover mounts on the door Jam. this fits very securely in this position and is very visible to the driver. This uses my slider mount so it can accommodate any of my cell phone holders for the Samsung Galaxy S4 & iPhones 4 and 5.

I have built in a cutout for double sided tape, But I think it fits securely without it. Very easy to install , just pop off the OEM cover and replace with the door mount.

Picture without the cell phone holder

Picture with the OEM cover

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me with a new Hobby - free stuff