Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Evolution of Flat Nasty

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:10 PM
FlatNasty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant seem to find my pics of the whole intercooler istallation, it is an fluid to air cooler with a radiator up in the front of the car. all the measurements proved to be correct and the unit from TPC looks clean and beautifully built. After many hours of modifying the front of thr car to mount the radiator, running lines, sourcing various hoses, clamps, and couplers here is the finished product
Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2014, 05:12 PM
FlatNasty
Instructor

more
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yum, yum, yum. Congrats and great thread.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 PM
FlatNasty
Instructor

I reorganized the frunk, got rid of the spare, got a new optima battery and changed its location, dropped in a custom battery mount, wired in a battery cut off switch, and built a custom box to organize everything and rgidly mount everything.

Not pictured is the flat box top which gives a flat place to store (small) stuff
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2014, 02:36 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

You're not hanging around with this are you!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Just wondering, what are you doing with the 2 oil tank vent hoses. I have run mine though an oil catch can, but I am worried I have reduced the volume that can be vented. I had terrible oil leaks when I started it up after the TPC install. May not be related, but I worried about getting too much pressure in the crank case.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:24 PM
FlatNasty
Instructor

Lets see if this works, here is a short youtube video of the engine running after all the work done to it. The part I was happiest about was that no error lights popped up on the dash upon start-up

Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM
FlatNasty
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ducks964
Just wondering, what are you doing with the 2 oil tank vent hoses. I have run mine though an oil catch can, but I am worried I have reduced the volume that can be vented. I had terrible oil leaks when I started it up after the TPC install. May not be related, but I worried about getting too much pressure in the crank case.
Duck,

I will dig through my pics on my computer to see if I took some photos of the oil line vent routing. if so I'll post them up to see if they help with your setup. So far no leaks but the car has only been running while on jack stands at this point, Im not sure if the multiple leaks I have fixed thus far represent normal 964 territorial markings or if they were exacerbated by the supercharger's boost
Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Thank you. I will be interested to see what you did. My added leaks may not be related but were noticeably worse after the install. I am currently replacing about every seal I can get to (oil return tubes, chain housings, valve covers, and many more). I am not the only one that has seen this and that is why I am wondering if there is some relationship. I do not doubt I needed to replace these seals eventually, but seemed strange that the leaks were manageable before the install, but had to be addressed after the install.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 PM
FlatNasty
Instructor

Duck, hopefully a pic is worth a thousand words. Here is 4 thousand words. I marked with the yellow dots on each pic the hoses I think you are referring to. hopefully you can gain an understanding of how my setup was initially installed. With the intercooler there have been a couple of small changes but these 2 hoses remained essentially running to the same locatons
Attached Images     
Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

wow, what a beast with the supercharger!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Thanks for the pics. Does look like you are running the full size hose into the intake. I am looking now at the same to keep the amount of flow the same as pre-install.

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM
FlatNasty
Instructor

with the engine work done and the car appears to be running well the next step is starting on the interior. First some initial condition shots.

The carpet has multiple stains and smells like grandpa's old shed so its gotta go. Im also thinking that I would prefer black interior so nows the time to do that as well
Attached Images     
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 AM
FlatNasty
Instructor

first order of business is rear carpet removal and removing the 1/4 inch of glue the factory uses to hold everything down.

Im not sure if I want to shake the hand or punch the gut of the sadistic porsche factory worker in charge of glue application in this car. all I can say is they are passionate about their craft and must get paid based on quanity of glue used

after many, many, many hours of scraping, heat gun, adhesive remover, I got the carpet out of the back and everythng stripped down to paint. I cant find all my pics of this stage but here is a during the process shot and after I covered the area with a drape so I can get to the next step of my interior modification
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM
FlatNasty
Instructor

now on to the good stuff:

I wanted a roll bar to add to the rigidity and safty of the car. One of my top criteria is that it must flow with the natural curved lines of the car and compliment them. There are a few bolt in options for sale out there but none of them met my standards for functon and esthetics.

Because this is a convertable I dont want a single B pillar bar extending across the back of the seats, in my opinion that looks too 4x4 styling and detracts from the cars lines.

with the front curved torpedo like headlights of our cars I wanted te cage to follow that design cue (yet stll be very functional)

this is what I have been building.
Its made out of 2 inch .120 wall DOM tubing
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: The Evolution of Flat Nasty