The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Too bad nobody just makes a boot to swap. Perhaps its possible to find a similar sized boot and just ziptie or something at both ends, or is that too much of a garbage fix for a relatively cheap part.
I would agree a replacement boot would be a nice option. But in my case, I decided that if the boot was gone, then the rest is probably worn too, so I replaced mine.

Now, if I nicked a new part, then I would want to just replace the boot.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:15 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
Part No.: 911 561 927 00 - Main Folding Top Bow (Left).

Cost? Check out Pelican but best you sit down first ()!!!
Originally Posted by cool whip
The price of that part is gut wrenching. Maybe I can find a used part.
It used to be over 2k! Found this thread, which Rob you posted in a while back. Someone said they had a fix for it. Maybe this will help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...rt-needed.html

Another here that welded it and said it has been holding up well. Good luck!

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...questions.html
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Had the exact same issue with my top. Cost of new top/parts drove me to buy a hardtop. Hasn't been the easiest process, but now I've got a cabrio-coupe and total cost was still probably 3-5K less than an OEM fix.

Also, if you broke that, you should also probably replace/refurbish your top transmissions/motors, which are a couple K's each new. Continue down the rabbit hole and your bank account will drink the "shrink me" bottle really quickly.

Originally Posted by cool whip
I need help in identifying this part for a 91 cabriolet. Where can I purchase this part? How much will this set me back? I appreciate any input.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:35 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhc905
Had the exact same issue with my top. Cost of new top/parts drove me to buy a hardtop. Hasn't been the easiest process, but now I've got a cabrio-coupe and total cost was still probably 3-5K less than an OEM fix.

Also, if you broke that, you should also probably replace/refurbish your top transmissions/motors, which are a couple K's each new. Continue down the rabbit hole and your bank account will drink the "shrink me" bottle really quickly.
Since I already have three cabs maybe a hard top is the way to go. I appreciate all the help.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:14 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a silly question. Are the clocks on 964s the same? There is a 964 part number for the C4 in the catalog. And there's a 993 part number as well. I'm confused.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes I hate asking these silly questions, but I got a hold of one of those hyper flash relays for using LED bulbs, but where does it go exactly? Somewhere by the center tunnel where I put in the bridge plug?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes I hate asking these silly questions, but I got a hold of one of those hyper flash relays for using LED bulbs, but where does it go exactly? Somewhere by the center tunnel where I put in the bridge plug?
yes, you´re spot on!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:19 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Too bad nobody just makes a boot to swap. Perhaps its possible to find a similar sized boot and just ziptie or something at both ends, or is that too much of a garbage fix for a relatively cheap part.
I have a buddy who makes tooling for rubber boots like this i should see if I can have him make it and has a source for having the boots made up. Same for tie rod ends and sway bar drop links. I have numerous parts that are good as new with busted boots. But nobody sells the boots separately. I have no doubt Porsche would prefer to sell you a new unit long before a cheap boot. I have tried the crazy glue approach on door seals and other rubber parts it is not as pretty as new but so far has held up without any failures under track conditions. At least it is a good temporary fix.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used Shoe Goo with success fixing other rubber parts like that. It's holding together a rubber seal on our Miele clothes washer in fact ! It stays more flexible than crazy glue does.

Cannot speak directly to fixing these specific parts with that approach, but worth a shot.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a North American source for this "Klassic Line" rear engine bay seal? Or a better alternative price wise? It's still cheaper than OEM if I ship it across the pond, but a domestic source would save me quite a few bucks... TIA.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod19...4-93050417001/

EDIT: Thank you Anthony!

Last edited by tjb616; 05-03-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjb616
Does anyone know if there is a North American source for this "Klassic Line" rear engine bay seal? Or a better alternative price wise? It's still cheaper than OEM if I ship it across the pond, but a domestic source would save me quite a few bucks... TIA.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod19...4-93050417001/
http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe...he/93050417001
Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have a buddy who makes tooling for rubber boots like this i should see if I can have him make it and has a source for having the boots made up. Same for tie rod ends and sway bar drop links. I have numerous parts that are good as new with busted boots. But nobody sells the boots separately. I have no doubt Porsche would prefer to sell you a new unit long before a cheap boot. I have tried the crazy glue approach on door seals and other rubber parts it is not as pretty as new but so far has held up without any failures under track conditions. At least it is a good temporary fix.
Are you talking about the clutch master boot?
I buy them separately. There is a part number. Though at the moment I forget where that is.
For the slave, the last ones I bought were ordered through ecs tuning. Can't remember where I bought the master...was a trick finding them, but they are out there.

In the meantime, I have purchased a tube of over door seal silicone. It's black and remains very flexible and is designed to fix split soft rubber seals. I'll be trying this as an in-situ fix on a door seal and a master cylinder boot soon and will report back.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Oh and for tie rod ends...cobalt...there is a guy on eBay that sells all sizes. I haven't used him, but so long as you have inner and outer diameters for the top and bottom and the height, I'm pretty sure you can order anything we would need for tie rods, ball joints, etc.

What would be great is if we had the measurements and specifics to do that. I haven't had a chance to sit down with mine...I have the same, a few hanging around that would be fine with new boots.

For rod ends, we use sealsit boots. Sealsit.com
They appear to be a type of rubber that will dry out and crack quickly, so not sure of longevity with those yet...still hoping.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
Oh and for tie rod ends...cobalt...there is a guy on eBay that sells all sizes. I haven't used him, but so long as you have inner and outer diameters for the top and bottom and the height, I'm pretty sure you can order anything we would need for tie rods, ball joints, etc.

What would be great is if we had the measurements and specifics to do that. I haven't had a chance to sit down with mine...I have the same, a few hanging around that would be fine with new boots.

For rod ends, we use sealsit boots. Sealsit.com
They appear to be a type of rubber that will dry out and crack quickly, so not sure of longevity with those yet...still hoping.
Great info good to know. I will try to find some time to take some measurements. I hate throwing perfectly good parts away for a damaged rubber boot

BTW I saw your link to Elford and the alfas at targa florio. I did a bunch of restoration work on the #5 car owned by a friend Joe and a friend of his typo 33 as well. If you look in this video of the engine I made replacement parts all the yellow painted (tranny shift cover, case and valve covers are my work.) what a PITA using the original parts to make replacements.

Here is a video of Joe driving he is a bit of a mad man.

Last edited by cobalt; 05-03-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Goughary
Race Car

wow - thats awesome - we have to find some time to get together - either down by you or up here by us - exchange notes...things up this way have gotten a little busy with the suspensions and now cutting up fantastic low miles 964s for pop out windows (which are looking pretty amazing btw)...current car is out for upholstery and i may be tearing into mine this week and working 24/7 to get it done before the other comes back...

fwiw - i have also been looking into making an up-rated c4 swaybar drop link, to have an alternative to hem that is a bit more robust. so that may be coming - but I've been slow on the design side. need to push through...

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...