Sponsored by:

Speedo calibration - is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:22 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
.........Meaning my car has actually less mileage than the odo reads.
I believe that your mileage (odometer) is probably very accurate, calibrated at the factory based on your gearing and wheel/tire diameter. The reading of the speedometer is set by most factories to be optimistic and thus can be off while the mileage should be spot on.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a mileage odo on the GPS 8 just have to reset it and check.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Recently I've discovered that I have the same issue. My speedo and OBC both show speed to be 8% higher than the actual speed shown on a GPS/Speedo iPhone app.

I'm hoping that someone may still be able to provide some help or answers to this tread? And yes I've goggled and searched this forum and others without success.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
Recently I've discovered that I have the same issue. My speedo and OBC both show speed to be 8% higher than the actual speed shown on a GPS/Speedo iPhone app.

I'm hoping that someone may still be able to provide some help or answers to this tread? And yes I've goggled and searched this forum and others without success.
You can move the needle on its shaft, but it would be trial and error and tedious......setting it, re-installing the speedo, driving and repeat untill you get it as close to actual speed as you can.
Follow the instructions in the write-up on fixing the odometer, it explains how to carefully remove the needle from the shaft.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:28 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

yes I agree its sub-optimal .. wanted it fixed on my 997s too
maybe ask Steve Wong as signal to speedo comes from Ecu I think?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:28 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

saw that this thread has been resurrected.... I can confirm it has nothing to do with wheel / tyre size. I am now running 18" wheels/tyres and my speedo is still the same amount out. In KM, it shows 50km when you are doing 45, 80km when you're doing 72 and 100km when you're doing 92.
I tried it with two different iphone 'speedometre' apps for accuracy (i am assuming that those are accurate).
It doesn't worry me greatly, now that I know how much it is out by - but still is kind of annoying.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

hepkat,

Sounds like your cars reading about 8% higher as well. I also tried using a few different speedo apps and get the same result. The apps are based on GPS and also when I tried the app in my daily driver and my wife's car it was bang on. So app is accurate and so are the speedos in newer vehicles.

I know these cars are 25 years old, but Porsche is usually ahead of its time in technology, and for cars that are built for speed you'd expect that the speedo would be accurate. I'm starting to wonder if this is a more common issue with our cars. Maybe Porsche just wanted to make us think we're going faster than we actually are.

Like you I find it annoying and there must be a better fix for both the speedo and the OBC then just moving the needle.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:04 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
hepkat,

Sounds like your cars reading about 8% higher as well. I also tried using a few different speedo apps and get the same result. The apps are based on GPS and also when I tried the app in my daily driver and my wife's car it was bang on. So app is accurate and so are the speedos in newer vehicles.

I know these cars are 25 years old, but Porsche is usually ahead of its time in technology, and for cars that are built for speed you'd expect that the speedo would be accurate. I'm starting to wonder if this is a more common issue with our cars. Maybe Porsche just wanted to make us think we're going faster than we actually are.

Like you I find it annoying and there must be a better fix for both the speedo and the OBC then just moving the needle.
Could be something in that. It is fairly common rumour that manufacturers in Australia make sure that their speedo's err on the side of faster so that they can't get pinged by a consumer who was sitting bang on the speed limit and a cop gets them for speeding. I also own a two year old Holden (chevrolet) and the speedo at 100km is out by four and at 110km (our fastest limit) is out by six km. My wife's VW Beetle is out by about the same.
Ah - 1st world problems
Old 03-09-2015, 06:07 PM
evoderby
Pro

http://www.autometer.com/media/manual/2650-1570-00.pdf

Autometer GPS speedo drive module, supposed to work with any electronic speedo.

Quick Reply: Speedo calibration - is it possible?