Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacers and Hubs - Hubcentric

Old 11-28-2013, 02:24 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Spacers and Hubs - Hubcentric

Are there two different styles of hub centering rings for a '90 C2?

I recently purchased a set of BK 7.5m Spacers for the front of my '90 C2, only to learn that they do not fit on my car. The issue appears to be that the BK spacers are only compatible with three finger style hub centering rings. My C2 has solid centering rings.

Both Pelican and BK list these spacers as compatible with a 1990 911 C2, although I did subsequently find reference to the centering ring style, which begs the question, are there two different hub centering ring styles that were in production during MY 1990?

Here is what the 3 Finger style look like, in case anyone did not know, as I did not know:

http://www.bkauto.com/R_5010_Hub_Cen...s_p/r-5010.htm

I have been running H&R 7mm spacers, but they are not hubcentric. The factory hub centering ring does not protrude beyond the surface of the spacers, thus I tend to get a bit of wobble at speed if the wheels are not perfectly centered. It is trial in error to try to bolt the wheels on and get them properly centered.

I hoped that the BK's would solve that problem, but apparently not for my car.

Anyone run into this before? I found lots of discussion about hubs, hubcentric, and spacers, but did not find anything about hub centering ring design.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!

Brian

Last edited by BGLeduc; 12-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Bump
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

With studs, as long as you dont tighten one nut up fully, they will pull the wheel on evenly and hub centric spacers are not required
Old 12-02-2013, 11:11 AM
oldtimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Brian , I run 7mm spacers on the rear of my 1989 964C2 to avoid tyre rub on the oil line (!) , they are just simple flat spacers with central holes to locate on hub and 5 'right size' holes drilled out for the wheel studs. I had to fit longer studs and open steel wheel nuts however . The 5 wheel studs seem to hold the wheels ( and spacers) firm enough at the recommended torque settings so not sure why you would get wobble.

On the fronts I have normal length studs on 993GT2 Evo hubs and use the H&R bolt on 15mm spacers , which are hub centric and fit over the hub centre as well as providing hub centric location for the wheels. I need the extra spacing to minimise tyre rub on inside bodywork using those hubs.

PS car is used for road and track , but the road is only use to get to and from track !
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies, but that does not answer the question or whether or not there are two styles of centering ring for a '90 964.

I run H&R 14mm's in the rear, which are hubcentric and have the extended centering lip; they fit over the factory solid centering ring. Works great…no wheel wobble.

I see why the BK design does not work with the solid centering ring, but since they and Pelican spec them as being correct for a '90 C2, then either Porsche uses both style centering rings (solid or three finger), or the data is incorrect.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:16 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
Thanks for the replies, but that does not answer the question or whether or not there are two styles of centering ring for a '90 964.

I run H&R 14mm's in the rear, which are hubcentric and have the extended centering lip; they fit over the factory solid centering ring. Works great…no wheel wobble.

I see why the BK design does not work with the solid centering ring, but since they and Pelican spec them as being correct for a '90 C2, then either Porsche uses both style centering rings (solid or three finger), or the data is incorrect.
I've only seen solid centering rings on 964s but thats on 3 cars.. so by no means exhaustive.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:59 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jack.pe
I've only seen solid centering rings on 964s but thats on 3 cars.. so by no means exhaustive.
Thanks, Jack.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Jcx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i recall seeing the three finger type on the rear hubs and solid centering hubs on the front.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Are you sure your spacers are H&R? Never heard of a non-hubcentric H&R. All 4 hubs have centering lips on them, at least on my car they do.

Actually, it says they are hubcentric on the fitment guide... http://www.hrsprings.com/application...ts/31/541/1989

Ah, I see what you're saying, the lip on the hub doesn't stick out past the 7mm and there is no flange on the spacer itself.

There are definitely two types, we know there are standard type and the pic on your BK link clearly shows 3 fingered.

These guys show a double-hubcentric 10mm for Porsche. http://www.tunershop.com/Wheel_Space..._h33_m338.html
Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jcx
I think i recall seeing the three finger type on the rear hubs and solid centering hubs on the front.
Right you are.

I was out in the garage this weekend, and was curious if the 14mm H&R spacers I have in back would fit on the front, and sure enough, the rear hubs on my '90 are the 3 finger design, while the fronts are solid.

As such, the H&R hub-centric design (at least for specific size H&R spacers I own) will fit properly on either style hub, while the BK's will only work on the 3 finger style.

So I guess that makes Pelican and BK's sites 1/2 right as far as the BK's working on a '90.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vegas993
Ah, I see what you're saying, the lip on the hub doesn't stick out past the 7mm and there is no flange on the spacer itself.
Exactly.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

The note for the 7mm H&R's on H&R's site says the following:

These are Hub-centric flat disc type spacers which require the factory hub to center the wheels. Please measure to verify.

I have not tried but I bet that the 3 Finger hubs on the rear protrude out beyond the 7mm thickness of the spacer, allowing the wheel to be properly centered. It may be a stretch to call a completely flat, disc style spacer hub centric, but I guess the result is the same as a thicker design with its own centering ring.

Amazing how much I have learned about something as seemingly simple as wheel spacers. :-)
Old 12-16-2013, 03:51 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to run 7mm H&R flat disc type spacers on the rear of my 964.

Tho I've never confirm how much the hub lip extends out of spacers. But I've never have issues running those spacers. Even with stock studs (I know, it should be running extend studs, the car came this way)

I still have the spacers, I will put them on the rear hub and take some pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
I used to run 7mm H&R flat disc type spacers on the rear of my 964.

Tho I've never confirm how much the hub lip extends out of spacers. But I've never have issues running those spacers. Even with stock studs (I know, it should be running extend studs, the car came this way)

I still have the spacers, I will put them on the rear hub and take some pictures if anyone is interested.
I probably should have done that too...dang I did not think of it.

I know that in the front, the solid hub only exceeds the spacer by a whisker.....I bet the 3 finger hub is slightly longer allowing the rear wheel to be properly centered.

I also note that RUF has a 7mm spacer with an integral 3 finger centering ring. I would have to see the other side to be able to tell if the design would fit on the front of a 964.

http://www.rufonlinestore.com/Produc...R64-331-611-07

The photo on Pelican, which may be a different design, would suggest that it will not fit.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2539%2538%2529

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spacers and Hubs - Hubcentric