Sponsored by:

Peppa 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Peppa 2.2

So it's about time I gave another update on Peppa. Quite a lot has happened over the last few months and weeks. It started off with the preparation for Spa that necessitated the last minute fitment of Bilstein Pss10 adjustable shocks. They were/are a revelation. Spending the day at Spa chasing various people round the track, i did feel that I was a bit under braked so an upgrade there was required. I followed the popular upgrade route of getting 993 callipers for the front and moving my C4 front 4 pots to the rear. I took the opportunity to upgrade the discs as well to larger Sebro drilled all round. Of course I couldn't resist a little more detail and painted the callipers orange.

I decided to upgrade the sound system and tasked AutoAudio with the fit. They removed 3 lots of redundant wiring from previous installs which cleaned up the install no end. I had previously purchased a Techart rear parcel shelf that and had it covered in Alcantara with orange double stitch detail. This houses the rear stage and together with upgraded mid range and tweeters up front in conjunction with a low profile Pioneer sub under the drivers seat I'm now very happy with the sound. Really rich and very true.

I had decided some time ago that I really didn't want to go down the full respray route due to financial constants and also because of the use the car gets. Its a daily driver and while I love a spotless car an inevitability is a few dinks, dents and scratches. That being said Peppa deserved a makeover to address some of my pet hates about how she was looking.

I looked at a number of guys to do the job but in the end I went with Precision Porsche in Sheffield Park, East Surrey. I had originally visited them shortly after getting the car and had always liked their professionalism and attitude. Nice guys.
The idea was to get the car back to a decent standard, by getting a dent guy to do over the doors and wings and the bonnet resprayed. As is usual we found some additional essential work that need to be tackled. My front scuttle had been repaired quite badly and I had some serious tin worm in the rear drivers side wing. I also needed a few windscreen due to a crack that was beginning to grow. A few more details that I had also wanted to get taken care of were the removal of headlamp washers and the additional of Techart Foglight and Brake Duct kit.

So they had three and a half weeks to sort it all out and they certainly did.

One last issue that I decided to address were my Recaro Speeds bought second hand from ebay. They had holes in drivers side bolster and the seat bolster were a little tight for long journeys. I had heard about Cass Brothers of Bromley from various people and their reputation looked very solid. Another reassuring factor was that they had been in the same premises for 50 years, father to son to son.

I had them recovered in the hardest wearing black leather they could find with alcantara centres and Orange double stitch detailing.

Anyway I written too much so have a look at the pictures. Oh and by the way new 18" Gemballa Lemans wheels fitted with Yokohama ad08s.
Attached Images            
Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Looks really good, I love the wheels and seats.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:23 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slick and super clean!
Kinda looks like Black Betty´s younger sister
Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome and loving the new wheels - how do you like the handling on 18s? Look forward to seeing it at a meet soon!

Originally Posted by fluxdon
Slick and super clean!
Kinda looks like Black Betty´s younger sister
Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

New wheels are great. Wife no longer hates it and says it looks more like a classic car now. She never did like the orange wheels. The ride does not feel a great deal different at all I was not sure what to expect to be honest. I actually managed to get away without having to use spacers, though saying that there was some rubbing but that was address by gently flattening the oil pipe inside the driver's side rear arch. I may add a 3 mm shim as clearance must only be a about 1 mm and maybe tyre expansion could result in further rubbing. I've got no rubbing on the front.

I have to say the profile is definitely enhanced by the 18" and they do fill the arches. It a bit more agressive I'd say. After all the deliberation on wheels I think that I made the right choice

Super flattered by the comparison to BB, a car that I think is really something very special indeed.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Turned out super nice! Love the orange stitching that you incorporated. And the calipers to match as well. Job well done.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:10 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Looking good Mike. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with those front calipers on the rear. It's generally not recommended to put them on the rear because the large pistons will put a lot of braking bias to the rear. The usual upgrade is to fit 993C2 rear calipers on when fitting bigger brakes to the front.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicMadMike
I actually managed to get away without having to use spacers, though saying that there was some rubbing but that was address by gently flattening the oil pipe inside the driver's side rear arch. I may add a 3 mm shim as clearance must only be a about 1 mm and maybe tyre expansion could result in further rubbing. I've got no rubbing on the front.
Great stuff.

Originally Posted by boxsey911
. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with those front calipers on the rear. It's generally not recommended to put them on the rear because the large pistons will put a lot of braking bias to the rear. The usual upgrade is to fit 993C2 rear calipers on when fitting bigger brakes to the front.
Fair point, however...

I'm running a 993TT and standard rear 4 pots - yes the bias is out. But lot of people run this set up without issue inc Grant. I'm wondering whether I will chuck on my old fronts on the rear since they'll be less powerful than the 993TT items... seen it done a few times and feedback is good also....
Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Hey Mike, car is looking great!!
and the wheels work really well too. Do you know how much they weigh?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY

Fair point, however...

I'm running a 993TT and standard rear 4 pots - yes the bias is out. But lot of people run this set up without issue inc Grant. I'm wondering whether I will chuck on my old fronts on the rear since they'll be less powerful than the 993TT items... seen it done a few times and feedback is good also....
I too have the standard 964 4 pots on the rear to go with my 993 fronts. These rears have 30/28 pistons and indeed that makes it a little under-biased at the rear. This can be adjusted a bit more by gutting the proportioning valve (I haven't got round to this yet). The general wisdom when fitting 993 or 993TT fronts is to change to 993 C2 rears, which have 34/30 pistons, to keep the bias to the front. Such a set up makes it similar to the 964RS, 964 turbo and 993. If you put the 964 fronts on the rear there is a big jump in braking force because these have 40/36 pistons. There is then much more chance of the rears locking before the fronts. Some are comfortable with that (e.g. Kai B has this set up I believe) but most of us might not cope so well with the rear losing grip when it locks up under hard braking.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Steve, I'm now trying to find the article that recommended this set up. So far I haven't had to do much in the way of heavy braking but I'm thinking that I should test this out on some deserted tarmac. The brakes certainly feel alot stronger but I guess using them in anger will may illicit intersting results. I'll get back to you.

Jack I haven't weighed the wheels but I'm taking them off soon to put rear shims on so I'll check back with you on that.

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I too have the standard 964 4 pots on the rear to go with my 993 fronts. These rears have 30/28 pistons and indeed that makes it a little under-biased at the rear. This can be adjusted a bit more by gutting the proportioning valve (I haven't got round to this yet). The general wisdom when fitting 993 or 993TT fronts is to change to 993 C2 rears, which have 34/30 pistons, to keep the bias to the front. Such a set up makes it similar to the 964RS, 964 turbo and 993. If you put the 964 fronts on the rear there is a big jump in braking force because these have 40/36 pistons. There is then much more chance of the rears locking before the fronts. Some are comfortable with that (e.g. Kai B has this set up I believe) but most of us might not cope so well with the rear losing grip when it locks up under hard braking.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Mike, absolutely. I'm just giving you the heads up on this just to make sure you aren't taken by surprise. Definitely go out and find some empty tarmac and stand on the brakes to see what happens. Hopefully it'll all be good.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

>empty tarmac and stand on the brakes to see what happens

Ideally in the wet I guess and hard enough to bring in the ABS.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Looks really nice Mike. Clean and simple. Love the wheels too.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, when you take the wheels off can you let me know what is stamped on the inside of them please? I can see that you have 265/35 18 tyres on the back, what size are you running at the front. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Peppa 2.0