Sponsored by:

My first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first Porsche

After reading so many "new to me" introduction posts, I wondered if the RL community would be sick of yet another one. But after debating on whether I should start my own, I figured why not. I've been a looooong time lurker and finally was able to fulfill a life long dream of owning a 964. So I thought I'd share my experience.

I didn't always want a 964. At first, I wanted a 993. But after reading so many 993 vs. 964 threads, I knew that the 964 was the one I wanted. Its the classic 911 body with all the modern technology. Perfect balance!

I started my search at the beginning of the year. I didn't realize how hard and how high prices were climbing for these cars. No way was I going to buy a car out of state. I was going to buy a local car as I live in So Cal. Plus, buying an out of state car would be too much of a hassle and this was all new to me. But there wasn't any 964s being sold with my specs near me. So the search began nationwide. It was frustrating not finding a car that I wanted. But all I kept reading from fellow RL's, is be patient and the right one will come. And it did. Found mine right here on RL and bought it from a fellow RL'er. Craig Lutz. He mentioned in a post that he was going to list his car for sale so I hit him up right away. After numerous emails and many phone calls, a PPI was scheduled.

The PPI was done by Karl over at Rennsport in Kansas City. The PPI came back in flying colors! Spoke with Karl on the phone and he assured me I was getting a steal!!! Craig not only maintained the car well, but poured so much money into her, as I know so many of you have, to get her to where she is today. A list of mods will follow. I can't thank Craig enough for working with me and answering all my questions. He was great to talk to!

After the PPI, Craig and I spoke on the phone and a deal was struck. Wired him the money and had the car shipped to my door. This was a month ago. Since the day she was delivered, I've had a smile on my face. The experience is all so new and exciting. I'm learning more about her everyday and loving every minute of it. So without further ado, here she is, my very own 964. Thanks to all who managed to read through this. I appreciate it.

This is the way I got her.

Since getting her, I've added the ducktail wing, wevo engine mounts with the black pillows, elephant racing front control arm bushings, and front bearings. As soon as I got her, I took her to my new P-car mechanic to get a maintenance done, including a valve adjustment. She's running great!!! These pics were taken over the weekend.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice.

Is this Pchar's car?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:27 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Always happy to welcome another convert! Great looking car. Love the color.

Jim G.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

... delete ...
Old 10-14-2013, 02:36 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
After reading so many "new to me" introduction posts, I wondered if the RL community would be sick of yet another one. But after debating on whether I should start my own, I figured why not. I've been a looooong time lurker and finally was able to fulfill a life long dream of owning a 964. So I thought I'd share my experience.
I'm so glad you did, we never get tired of new intros.
I lurked for awhile too, but posting and contributing to this awesome forum adds so much to the 964 experience!

The PPI was done by Karl over at Rennsport in Kansas City.
Karl seems like a stud! I really enjoy reading his blog posts. I wish all techs were like him!
http://rennsportkc.com/blog/
Helpful 964 content: http://rennsportkc.com/?s=964

I love your mods. More pictures of the duck please. Is it carbon? I want one so bad.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Vandit...no it's not. This car came from Topeka, Ks. Previous owner is Craig Lutz. That's his sig name as well.
C24FUN....Thanks!!!
911Jetta....Thanks and I agree on how awesome this forum is. I hope to contribute as much as I take away. The ducktail is not carbon fiber. Only other pics of I have of it at the moment. Will post more once I take some.

Last edited by Rey Gunn; 10-14-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added pics.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

That's, crazy, looks just like Pchar's car, down to the wheels!

The color on yours is factory?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Wow! Nice to know I have a twin out there. The car was painted arrow blue by Craig. Original color from the factory was baltic blue. Which I love and wish Craig had it painted that color. But I seem to get a lot of positive responses from people who see the car. Everyone seems to love the color!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:03 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pchar has dual exhaust. saw the car in person. love it.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

She's a beauty Rey. Arrow blue is a classic Porsche color - looks great.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:16 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

great looking car! Do you like those tires on it? I've had several sets of those on Audis and love them, but I dont think they would perform very well on a 964...
Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
After reading so many "new to me" introduction posts, I wondered if the RL community would be sick of yet another one.
Glad you did, we love intros and we are picture ******. Congrats on the purchase and great color.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the comments.

vagluv....so far so good. But I don't have anything to compare them to as I've never driven another 964 with a different type of tire and this is the only set I've driven on. Although I have a set of OEM Design 90 wheels that came with car. I may slap those on and see how those feel.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:47 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome 964! Thanks for visiting us the other week.

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awwwh... I have car envy ...again...!

Quick Reply: My first Porsche