Sponsored by:

My first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dboeren
Just wanted to say that I love the Arrow Blue color, but I agree that the gold wheels are a bit much. It does indeed look like a Subaru color scheme, I used to drive a 1998 2.5RS that came with Rally Blue paint and Gold Wheels from the factory and while that gold was a little more muted than yours it's not far off. Anyway, it's not bad but it is a little "blingy". The ghost racing stripe though is very well done and looks awesome. Sad to see the duck tail go, but I understand that you're wanting to create a more modern look for the car so it makes sense.

The headlight rings honestly look a little gaudy to me. Perhaps a different color would work better. I'd actually like to see what they look like in the same lighter blue as the ghost stripe but it might be too subtle?
Thanks for your feedback. Always nice to know what others think of your car. As far as the color. I'm really starting to love it as well. To be honest, it wasn't my first color choice as I really wanted some shade of silver. Diamond Blue Metallic would be my first choice, followed by Slate Grey, and then Arctic. But the less I see 964s in this color, the more I love it.

And yes, I totally agree with you on the gold wheels being blingy. And was disappointed when I picked them up as they weren't what I expected. But I have to say, they are growing on me. The are rings are currently being painted a different color. Something a tiny bit more subtle. But not much. lol

I'm really loving the ghost stripe as well. I was thinking of continuing the stripe all the way up the roof and down the back. Hmmmm..... Maybe a project in the future.
Originally Posted by BeachBoy
Have you sold or are you selling your ducktail?
Yes. Sorry. The duck has been sold.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Caymanman1970
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I think with the blue they loo kind of nice.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Great thread! I'm patiently waiting to find my first Porsche myself. But hoping to find one at the right price and color. I like the ghost striping you did. That was an excellent touch. I might have missed this in the conversations but now that you have a roll cage I assume you're going to shed some of the pounds and make this a daily/track car?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Caymanman1970
Personally I think with the blue they loo kind of nice.
Thanks! Blue and gold is a nice combo. But the gold is a tad bright in my eyes. If they were BBS gold, then they would be perfect.

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Great thread! I'm patiently waiting to find my first Porsche myself. But hoping to find one at the right price and color. I like the ghost striping you did. That was an excellent touch. I might have missed this in the conversations but now that you have a roll cage I assume you're going to shed some of the pounds and make this a daily/track car?
Thanks bud! Good luck with finding yours. You will eventually. Takes time and lots of patience. Took me 9 months to find mine. So keep searching, the right one will come along. As far as making this a track car. I do plan on tracking the car here and there, but it will mostly be a weekend car. As a matter of fact, Porsche is building a track near my home so I'm hoping to utilize it once it's built. In the form of shedding weight, I'm getting new to me BBS wheels so there should be some savings there compared to the wheels I have now. Also contemplating swapping out my Recaro Sport seats that are power and heated for some Pole Positions. For now, I'm working on sourcing the parts to upgrade to Big Reds.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 PM
financd964
Instructor

I was staring at your wheels today while putting back a few beers....
Old 06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by financd964
I was staring at your wheels today while putting back a few beers....
So did they start looking better the more you drank?!!! lol Beer goggles tend to do that.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

More goodies arriving. I'm starting to gather the parts to upgrade my brakes to Big Reds up front and 993 4 pots in the rear. I bought a set of rears from a fellow RL'er so thanks Paul! There's a thread about best UK caliper refurb companies. Does anyone know a good one out here in SoCal? I'd also be willing to ship them out of state for a really good shop. Still need the big reds so if anyone has a line on a set, let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Need some help fellas. I've ran into a bit of a snafu with my wheels. Turns out these wheels were originally made for a porsche cup car. Therefore, the mounting pad is too thick to mount on my NB 964. The lug nut studs are too short and with the wheel on the studs, a bolt couldn't get installed to secure the wheel. Please refer to pic below. Any of you guys running E28s have this problem? So I have two choices and I'm hoping some of you may have a third.

First option is to scrap these wheels and sell them. Start over and buy another set of wheels.

Second option is to have longer wheel studs installed to accommodate these wheels. Problem is, during the process, new bearings will have to be fitted as the process will ruin them to install the new longer studs. In addition, if I plan to switch wheels in the future, I'll have these longer wheels studs sticking out on the next set of wheels I get.

I'm hoping for a third option in the form of sleeved lug nut bolts. The kind that fits exactly into the mounting hole and can still screw in and seat the bolt and secure the wheel. Anyone ever seen this?

I appreciate any help. Pic for reference.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

What wheels are they?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vandit
What wheels are they?
BBS E28s
Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

For rebuilding your calipers :
ABS Power Brake
233 N. Lemon St.
Orange, Ca
714-771-6549
They specialize in rebuilding brake components. I have used them on several Alfa Romeos and the quality is excellent !
Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Rey, it is not necessary to disassemble the hub entirely to replace the studs with longer ones! I did it all myself in my garage in maybe 2 hours. You'll need the special tool to remove the rear calipers, but it's pretty easy, otherwise.

*edit*

If I remember correctly, I used Porsche turbo rear studs all around, which are 72mm. I used all OE studs.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by abarthguy
For rebuilding your calipers :
ABS Power Brake
233 N. Lemon St.
Orange, Ca
714-771-6549
They specialize in rebuilding brake components. I have used them on several Alfa Romeos and the quality is excellent !
Thanks. I already sent them out to John Hayworth Racing in N. Carolina. He seems to do great work. But thanks anyway. I wish I would have gotten their info sooner, they're in my backyard.

Originally Posted by BHCfarkas
Rey, it is not necessary to disassemble the hub entirely to replace the studs with longer ones! I did it all myself in my garage in maybe 2 hours. You'll need the special tool to remove the rear calipers, but it's pretty easy, otherwise.

*edit*

If I remember correctly, I used Porsche turbo rear studs all around, which are 72mm. I used all OE studs.
Oh that's good to hear! Especially from someone who has done it! Thanks for chiming in! I ordered the same exact studs. They should be in tomorrow. Again, thanks for the input!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Ok. Update on my car. The last few days have been eventful. My wheels were finished being re-built by Brian and the Rotiform crew. Had the centers ceramic coated in a titanium color and the lips are brushed silver. They turned out exactly how I wanted. So big ups to them for all their hard work. In retrospect, I think I could have gone a bit more aggressive on the rears. As it currently sits, I'm running a 18 x 10 ET 50. 1.5" lip and 8.5" inner barrel. I should have went 2" lip and 8" inner barrel. That would have made my ET 37. But I can always add spacers to get it to sit the way I want. So no biggie. The fronts are perfect. 18 x 8.5 ET 45. Running 1.8 camber on the front and a 2.3 camber on the rear. But in order to make these wheels work, I had to have longer wheel studs installed. Which turned out to be not that big of a deal as anticipated. Here are some pics after all is said and done.

Next, I turned to the interior. A Heigo cage, Rennline driver and passenger floor boards, and bezel trim rings were all installed after they were painted the same ceramic titanium color. Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome and love how everything ties together. Big shout out to Dan (lateforlunch) for getting me those studs so fast. Bonus was seeing his beautiful white 964 on BBS RS wheels. Simply gorgeous. Here are some pics of the interior. Of course, all comments, good and bad, are welcome.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^^^
very nice, love the titanium colour

Quick Reply: My first Porsche