Fabspeed Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Cape Dory
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fabspeed Exhaust

Hey Guys and Gals,

I finally decided to stray from the stock/original theme and pulled the trigger on the Fabspeed performance package after talking with Evan at Fabspeed. (no affiliation) It came with the maxflo muffler, cat pipe, airbox, and chip.

Everything was in order and in great fit/finish. All parts fit perfectly and the only thing that took a long time was freeing up the old parts for removal. I ran into the unfortunate situation where the U-clips holding the head shield to the catalytic converter had failed so I had to remove the cat with the shield still attached.

Some SUBJECTIVE observations as each part was installed and ran:

After installing just the cat pipe and maxflo muffler, the idle was loud and there seemed to be a small resonance at around 3k RPM. The noise was the loudest at this point. The noticeable delay in throttle response I had gotten used to was gone. (great!)

The next to go on was the new airbox lid. Surprisingly the loud idle went away and the general noise level seemed to go down. The little bit of resonance at 3k disappeared as well.

Last piece to go in (because I received it separately) was the Steve W chip. After reading all of the highly debated posts on it I was very curious. My initial impression is that I was impressed. If I had to describe it in one word, is that it made the car feel more "refined." Smoother power application, smoother idle. As they say in the movie Big Lebowski, it really pulled the room together.

Honestly I was worried initally about how loud and rough the car felt after just the cat pipe and muffler, but the installation of the airbox and chip made it all the difference and now I am very happy. The sound is amazing, and my "butt dyno" loves the smoother pull. Not to mention that rev matching and heel-toe'ing has become much easier as the throttle response has been improved.

~Adam
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks very nice.....Now the car looks much better from underneath as well.....

I like Fabspeed's products. I have their primary and secondary pipes..... I only have the primary installed currently and I am debating installing the secondary as well....

Fit and finish on mine was excellent too.

Post some sound clips if you can........
Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put a Wong chip in last night because of Fabspeed and LWFW.

Makes a very noticeable difference.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Cape Dory
The next to go on was the new airbox lid.
You need to be VERY careful with that airbox cover. The flimsy plastic (vacuum-formed?) is not stiff enough for the two large clip on fasteners, causing the piece and your air filter to deform ever so slightly allowing unfiltered air to enter the engine. Nobody ever notices because you basically need to pull the engine to see that far back. I would suggest trying with a mirror and a big light. After a pca zone-1 event when the other 964 there with the same cover was looked at, I literally threw mine out.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Cape Dory
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Jason.

I saw a few similar complaints as well, so I'm keeping an eye on it. I have also heard that the paper filter sometimes scrunches down, so I'll be checking that as well.

I like the feel/sound of the open airbox, but I don't have the heart to drill out the original (keeping all original parts) yet so I'm going to give this one a shot for a bit.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Love the big lebowski reference!

Glad you enjoy the new add ons!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Cape Dory
Rennlist Member

One more quick question on topic... I did some searching for "DME reset" and "Bosch Hammer Adaptation" and read what I could, but I'm still not 100% sure as there is a lot of contradictory information; would either of these procedures be appropriate after the change to my exhaust and install of the chip? Or is it completely unrelated?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:29 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have switched out chips several times. Each time I ran the car without adaptation for awhile. When I finally ran the adaptation I noticed a difference only at idle. There was less of a bounce in RPM when settling to idle. I do not know if the adaptation influences the mixture curve at other conditions. As I stated, I did not notice a difference, except at idle.

Good luck,
Dan

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Exhaust