Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's my setup.

cat bypass + Andial muffler + secondary bypass + alex tip

= awesome sound

Name:  KNDHq5g.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  100.2 KB

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 04-05-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never seen that Andial muffler before, any sound clips?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
I've never seen that Andial muffler before, any sound clips?
Oddly enough, there's one on ebay. First time I've ever seen one too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/964-Used-Muf...RW9GKg&vxp=mtr
Old 04-05-2016, 04:07 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the one in picture has an extra opening than mine.. probably a 1in 2 out config?

The andial muffler isn't gonna save any weight by the way. my setup sounds like a standard setup with secondary bypass. only has a bit of higher pitch note to it.

Originally Posted by Ken D
Oddly enough, there's one on ebay. First time I've ever seen one too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/964-Used-Muf...RW9GKg&vxp=mtr

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 04-05-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:34 PM
mfinanthony
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was tempted to buy the one on eBay but I think the extra opening allows for a dual exhaust out? Can anyone confirm?

If anyone has a single exit Andial muffler I would be interested
Old 04-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Invictus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The tip looks like my FVD Brombacher tip, which I managed to dent less than 24 hours after installation.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard FlyingTomatoes car and it does indeed sound pretty good. Its like a slight mix of cup pipe and g-pipe sound.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a cargraphic long secondary muffler delete pipe for sale-

Name:  photo852.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  115.2 KB

My wife said it's too loud. Honestly it's not louder than any other gpipe. But it does have a very low burly sexy tone. I liked it. But I am oem exhaust now for the moment.

Like I said on suspension madness, this one performs the best of all the secondary replacements. Imho.

Pm if you are interested. These take a long time to get from Germany. I'll ship mine tomorrow. It is new, but not as shiny and clean as the foto, since it was on my car for a few months.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:05 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken D
The 964 exhaust has two mufflers - a primary muffler (#8 in the picture below) and a secondary muffler (#9 in the picture). It will also have either a catalytic converter or a 'bypass' pipe, depending on country of sale (#6 in the pic).

A 'cup pipe' or 'primary bypass' pipe will replace #8.

A 'G pipe', 'U pipe', etc. will replace #9.

You can also install an aftermarket catalytic converter bypass.

This is a 'cup pipe' or primary bypass:

This is a 'G pipe' or secondary bypass:

And this is a 'European' style catalytic bypass pipe:

This is legitimately helpful for newbs like myself! Thanks for posting
Old 08-19-2016, 10:29 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ToniWonKanobi
This is legitimately helpful for newbs like myself! Thanks for posting
I've tried several options over the years.
I am very cost orientated, so never tried a full system.
I've settled on a standard manifolds,
Into a straight de cat, then a tech art cup pipe.
Standard final silencer.
Nice shiny tip.

It sounds brilliant.

Raws threw the revs, pops on let off.
But it's mega loud.
115db.

Peaks at a few more.

But I love it.

I am currently thinking about a haywood Scott.
Full system

Mainly cos it's a work of art.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:18 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

I just installed a cup pipe and a g bypass ... Sounds great but a lot louder than I thought. Still have cat on ... Without it I bet it would be even louder.
I have another 964 with a full Billy Boat header to tail pipe setup and it is a lot quieter. Not sure my wife will want to ride in it vs the Billy Boat setup which she has not complained about.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:43 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

The G-pipe and cat bypass together are great for when your wife is in the car. She starts talking, just put your foot in the gas a bit... problem solved!

All jokes aside, with both a muffler and cat bypass it does get loud enough inside that you're not going to have a conversation. Depending on your driving style of course.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same dilemma when looking for exhaust options. I primarily was looking for a purely street option. First I got a cat bypass and a cup pipe from FVD (no affiliation). I think their produces are phenomenal but also $$$. This set-up sounded great but did not sound like a Porsche. It was a deeper sound and was louder than a stock setup at WOT. I also has a Steve Wong chip installed to go along with these mods. The car felt great but I did not like the pesudo Hotrod sound. I then installed a secondary muffler also from FVD to complement the above setup. The sound now is PERFECT! No drone at all! And it sounds great outside the car but very little noise inside. Perfect to have wifey next to you - when you actually want to converse with her.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:30 AM
ALLPRO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Goughary
I did the same experiments. The exhaust that gives the best performance, if you chance nothing but the exhaust, is the stock one. Changing each of the other pieces cat, primary, or secondary, causes issues that need to then be addressed....

I liked the g pipe best for sound. And will likely go back to it in the spring
Hello from Italy
Reading this, confirms many tests on different cars, not even Porsche.

I also wanted to reinforce a bit, the sound,

By making a statistical average, modifying the final silencer, with g pipes (short) with the original European catalyst

Short end = + shooting - speed
Long final = - shooting + speed

Replacing only the final silencer, with long pipes G,
Could you get the same stock power with more noise?

The throttle of the secondary silencer, can be equal to the long pipe g?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2017, 10:57 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Sure there are pluses and minuses when you change each part of the system.

I've enjoyed reading (and occasionally hearing) forum posts about various systems over the years. Lots of cool stuff out there, but so much $$$ for such little benefit (on a stock motor)... especially when you can change a couple simple things on a stock 964 and get 90% of the same sound, weight, and power benefits.

If you have a mostly stock car and just want to improve the sound and response a little bit, then I suggest the following:

(Keep in mind that my two kids ride in my car on a weekly basis. It's all they know, but they definitely don't complain about riding in my car and I don't worry about it being too loud or smelly).

My system
Fabspeed Cat bypass
Primary bypass ($100 muffler shop hack)
Drilled airbox
93 octane Steve Wong chip
stiffer motor mounts

Thoughts on the various parts:

Primary bypass
I didn't notice anything negative at all after just deleting the primary. Just a bit more exhaust noise.
The sound is similar to stock, but two notches louder. There's negligible hp gain or loss.
Not too loud for daily use if you also add a cat bypass.
The only negative, is that there seems to be the increase potential for a cracked secondary exhaust (which has happened to me once, years ago)
Save 20 lbs
Just more of the sound that's there already...

Secondary bypass
It's a very popular choice. Definitely changes the flat six sound (a negative to some) and I often hear that it boarders on being loud. Especially if you add a cat bypass.
This set up might offer more low down torque.
Save 20 lbs (approx)

Custom system
Lots of $$$ for not much gain (sound, hp, weight loss). The word "drone" comes up a lot with these various systems... you are now part of someone's product development team.
Sound is usually unknown with these systems, seems like a big gamble.

Cat bypass
This took by primary bypass system to the next level, in a good way. I was surprised to find out the car was only a notch louder (very scientific I know), and very happy with the increased mechanical music I hear (valves, chains, etc). Throttle response is definitely better too, and there's a lot less heat in the system without the hot cat core.
Might be too loud for some with a secondary bypass.
Saves 15 lbs.

Does it stink? Yes. Run it through a couple gears and you can definitely get the smell of sweet honey in the air. So I agree with Goughary on this one. There definitely are some positives and negatives when choosing a cat bypass.

Drilled airbox
Improved sound at 4,000+ or anytime you WOT! Try it if you haven't already.
I thought I would bring it up since it used to be discussed more in the past (with lots of people looking for a second one so they could keep their original one stock)

Engine sound pad
If you want a louder car, make it a bit louder on the inside too, not just outside. Remove that ugly thing. Negligible increase in heat or sound. My kids sit in back on a weekly basis.

Motor mounts
What, why bring up motor mounts? I probably won't describe it right, but with the increased drivetrain stiffness, the slight increase in cabin NVH seems to reinforce what ever exhaust mods you have made. With my bypasses, I hear more outside, but with the stiffer motor mounts I hear and feel a bit more inside the car also. I l know it's mostly a slight vibration increase, but the stiffness of the drivetrain (feels solid when hard on and off throttle), plus the throttle response and sound all seem to go well together.

Simple video, just pulling out of the garage. (gives you an idea of the overall "neighborhood" sound level)

Rainy day, so that changes the sound a bit. Give you an idea of the sound while hard on and off the throttle.

BTW, it's the sound from the interior at 4,000+ that's to die for!!!!

Quick Reply: Street Exhaust Options 964