Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Exhaust Options 964

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Pedrcri
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry a k&N filter in a carbon fiber box.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok, nice - I'm sure it sounds awesome but do you notice small old ladies toppling over
Inexplicably when you drive past? Or car alarms going off?

That must be a heck of a lot louder
than 95 db ie my track max level.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be a downgrade from that exhaust, but try doing either cat bypass and no primary or no secondary. The only setup I ever tried that had the crackle/pop was with the cat in place and both mufflers out. Cool for about a month with city driving, but just too loud.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks Alex - I thought it may be the cats.
The pic is just there as design illustration ie of the 2 box next to one another w mixing pipe in mid.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pipes and more

Just my pennie and a half. I have the cup pipe and also the J pipe which is the G pipe but the long neck. The cup sounds like a P car has a good race sound to it makes a smile on your face when you are on the pipe. The J has a muscle car sound but deeper than a G pipe. Also makes ya smile. I was at the muffler shop and almost had a cup made for 50 American but found one for good price,
Now in the maket for a cat delete to see how that is if anyone has one for sale .. Both pipes are great ....
Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 PM
metalracer
Instructor

Anyone know if going to a complete 993 exhaust system works well?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Just to answer my question re the dual box with cross feed above - doesn't work well
with the hot cams on my 3.8 per a local friend ... Nor does the x-pipe ala GT3s ...
Glad I found someone with first hand experience, so dual in/out single box it is.

Now re the comments above re g pipe and cup pipes - are you using any mufflers beside the cats?? Per my first post, I need a quieter sound to keep driving at the local track as it gets encroached on by urban sprawl.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

@Anyone going down the complete route of secondary bypass, catalytic removal/sport cat, chip, suspension etc. i can recommend rennline engine mounts (left and right side rear). to my opninion the reatly improve the feeling (no affiliation). I put some very strong thin white tape between body and metal to prevent metal to metal contact. but the feeling is as I think it should be in a 964. it feels mechanical and you can feel the engine, relly nice when you have the other mods.

@Hiwind: do you have something like a schema/picture of the exaust configuration you mean with "so dual in/out single box it is." Thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Sure FD - something like (not the same tho) as this
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2013, 10:21 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

and on the inside the exhaust flows from both cilinder banks meet up? or they do not meet up (that is what you mean with single out then right?) and what is the angle of the exhaust flows respective to one another where they meet up (I grew up with 2 stroke where exhaust really means big difference, I understand 4stroke this effect is relatively smaller, but you probably know this also).
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

HiWind,

We have an Andial built 3.8 liter 993 as one of the Fabspeed in house development cars....I designed a new single muffler for it that is not too loud yet picks up mid range torque and top end power....what is the dB limit of the tracks you run?
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My recollection is that the 993 dual outlet exhaust system was the main reason the 1995 993 horsepower jumped to 272 from the 247 of the 964. The system can be adapted to the 964 but it requires redoing the manifold attachment, etc.....I don't recall all the details.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:15 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman
and on the inside the exhaust flows from both cilinder banks meet up? or they do not meet up (that is what you mean with single out then right?) and what is the angle of the exhaust flows respective to one another where they meet up (I grew up with 2 stroke where exhaust really means big difference, I understand 4stroke this effect is relatively smaller, but you probably know this also).
That is exactly my question ... And it sounds like you know far more than I do ... Per my 996cup and friends experience I was thinking they shd meet up ala x pipes off 993 (I think) pic below - the 964RS used a 993 system - but I heard today for a friend that when they xpiped his system much like this - see pic - the effect wasn't good hp and drone wise - so I'm likely to go with the pipes off the two banks entering the single transverse box, being wrapped in stainless heat shield inside the box and exiting the opposite side without the x or direct mixing. but I'm still unsure..

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
HiWind,

We have an Andial built 3.8 liter 993 as one of the Fabspeed in house development cars....I designed a new single muffler for it that is not too loud yet picks up mid range torque and top end power....what is the dB limit of the tracks you run?
thanks - you site looks great as does the product, it's just the cost of shipping makes things prohibitive especially as duties on imports have just raised and the USD is 25% stronger this year v Rand. Db requirement is 95 measured 2m behind car at 5k revs.

Originally Posted by Earlydays
My recollection is that the 993 dual outlet exhaust system was the main reason the 1995 993 horsepower jumped to 272 from the 247 of the 964. The system can be adapted to the 964 but it requires redoing the manifold attachment, etc.....I don't recall all the details.
Thanks ED - Mine is pretty straight thru at the mo - not cats, no stock primary or secondary but 2 narrow transverse boxes behind bumper and they're not full of much - so loud but not insane ie quite driveable, it's just the trackside neighbors - but my hp around 300 already, just trying to avoid losing any as I dampen noise.

I shd add that I have 993rs cams
Attached Images  

Last edited by HiWind; 11-22-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:24 PM
birdseye
Advanced

I've posted this before but thought it might be of interest to some people :-)

Hayward and Scott cat bypass and silencer (does away with primary and secondary)

Check out this video on YouTube:

Old 11-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Just remember that not all X pipes are created equal, and the size of the opening in the middle matters very much. We use cast X's to keep internal flow as smooth as possible and to control exactly the size of the opening.

Quick Reply: Street Exhaust Options 964