964, hasn't been run in 6-8 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 11:31 PM
dantheman15951
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964, hasn't been run in 6-8 years

Hey guys,

So, I just recently inherited my grandfathers 964 C4. It’s a beautiful car, and I couldn’t be more excited/honored to pick up where he left off! I’m completely new to cars, so just trying to absorb as much as I can from rennlist and other online forums.

Good news: while he was using the car, he kept it in excellent condition. Outside looks great, and he regularly got it looked at, replaced parts, and generally put a significant investment into keeping it running.

Bad news: due to his health, it was sitting in his garage for the past several years (6-8?) essentially unused. Last my father heard from him, there was apparently some sort of non-critical electrical leak, which doesn’t seem completely uncommon after looking through the forum a bit.

Naturally, the car does not start. I went ahead and purchased a new battery, which I plan to put in in a couple days. I wanted to get advice on what other things I should be doing, especially what things I should be doing before I try to turn the car on:
  • Oil: I’ve noticed that most oil change guides recommend running the car a bit to get the oil warmed up, and then emptying the oil tank to get as much oil out as possible. So should I run the car first (assuming it runs), then empty the oil, or just skip the running step, considering how old the oil must be?
  • I also read something about jumping the fuel pump relay. Should I be doing this?/should I do this before starting the car?/how do I do it?
  • I also ordered transmission fluid, hydraulic system fluid, brake fluid, and an air filter. I’m guessing I’m good to just replace these before running?
  • Anything else I’m missing, or any tips for a Porsche beginner?

Thanks so much to anyone willing to answer these basic questions!!
The following users liked this post:
klokwerk (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:00 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

You are on the right path. If it was mine and had set for 6-8 years. I would drain the oil from the tank and the engine and add about the same amount of new oil back into the tank. I would pull the DME relay and crank it until I se oil pressure ... at least 2-3 bar minimum. I would also drain the gas and change the gas filter. Gas that old will not be any good, as a fuel, or for your fuel system. You can get under the car and disconnect the fuel line on the fuel pump and drain into a can(s). After refreshing the gas tank with fresh non-alcohol fuel. I would then crank it to get it to start. I would have somebody stand by with a fire extinguisher (probably overboard) to watch the engine. If it starts ( I would expect it to start) let it warm up listening to any problems (rocker arm noise, collapsed chain tensioner, etc.) I would warm it until the oil temp gauge reads about 9:00. That should let you check the oil level with the in-dash gauge and the dipstick. They should match. If it runs smoothly ( I would expect it to) then take it for a drive gently (the tires are getting past their best used by date). Watch it closely for the next 3-4 drives and look for leaks which are common for cars that sit for long periods of time..... most can be fixed Porsche inexpensively if you can do the work yourself. There are only two kinds of Porsche owners, 1.) rich people that can afford to have someone professional to work on it for them, or 2.) the self inclined, fastidious home mechanic. I am so happy that you are excited about your grandfathers 964, I one day hope that my grandson will want my car. I know this is more than you were planning, but 964's to me are a little more sensitive to cruddy fuel... and I promise, if it has been sitting for 6-8 years.. it will be **** green and smell like old wet gasoline.

ps, the electrical leak is probably form a fualty connection in one of the door switches. If they do not function proparly, they will keep the ECU live until it gets the signal to shut down. It will typically run the battery down in a day. A trickly charger can help you keep that from happening until you find the electrical leak.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the 964 family! We need pics, or it didn't happen.
dantheman15951 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 08:26 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Welcome!!

If the fuel has been in the car without stabilizer for such a long time, that will likely also be your problem.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:03 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

If you plan to change the fuel filter and don't want to climb under the car you can put a length of fuel hose on the line at the filter connection point while the filter is off and pump the fuel out of the tank by jumping the pump relay. This will also tell you if the pump is good. My car sat for 8 years and needed a fuel pump before it would start.
dantheman15951 (06-06-2020)

Quick Reply: 964, hasn't been run in 6-8 years