Missing headlight adjustment screw

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:28 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing headlight adjustment screw

Hi all
I am missing one of my headlight adjuster screws and the small round plastic piece that it screws into. I think this part comes as an assembly because it doesn't show it in PET. Does anybody know where to get these? or a part number. With one of these missing the headlight is loose and moves around.
Thanks,
Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Do you have H5 or H4 headlights? In looking at PET, it looks like most of those screws are M4 size.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Thanks Rob
I am looking for the two parts in this pic. Not sure if they are H5 or H4 but I think they are the original set-up. Not LED for sure.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Send me your address, I have an extra I will send you. I don't throw away anything.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Thanks Darrell, I will send you a PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWS964
I don't throw away anything.
I have that same syndrome.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:38 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts
Default How Many Headlight Adjustment Screws?

Searched around & this thread seemed like a good place to post...
My car = 1991 964 Turbo US.
2 Questions:...

1) Has anyone noticed that our metal headlight sockets have locations for THREE adjustment screws (left, right & top)? Yet, our outter trim ring only has TWO of the rubber + plug (so you can stick a small screw driver in w/o taking the trim ring off) - one on the left, and the other on top.

Hence Question: How many adjustment screws came originally on our cars?

2) Does anyone know the actual part number to order these adjustment screws and the plastic cylinder that it screws into?

pics to help illustrate...

Old 09-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Those are the standard US H5 light assemblies. I'm not sure that those parts are available separately. PET doesn't list them individually. If it were me, I would post a Wanted to Buy thread looking for H5's from someone who is upgrading to H4's. When I upgraded my cars to H4s, I tossed the old units, maybe you can get them for free or some cheap price.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:57 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Those are the standard US H5 light assemblies. I'm not sure that those parts are available separately. PET doesn't list them individually. If it were me, I would post a Wanted to Buy thread looking for H5's from someone who is upgrading to H4's. When I upgraded my cars to H4s, I tossed the old units, maybe you can get them for free or some cheap price.
Are you saying that you believe I need THREE per each headlight assembly?
top & both sides?

Please Note that when I pulled both sides apart, one of my adjustment screws was just laying in the bottom of the socket. And THEN when I saw that each assembly had the RIGHT side adjustment screw (& white plastic) missing from the metal housing, I just assumed that they fell off both sides (or some prior mechanic never put them back on).

BUT, I just find it odd that Porsche would ONLY put 2 of the rubber + grommets on each of the painted trim ring (left & top).

On my car there IS NO rubber grommet on the painted trim ring on the right side (I figured I would say that here, since in my picture above, you can't really see the right side of the painted trim ring)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

If memory serves, there should only be two adjustment screws. One to raise/lower and the other to adjust left/right. I have had H4's for a long time, so if someone with H5's can confirm.

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 09-27-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
1) Has anyone noticed that our metal headlight sockets have locations for THREE adjustment screws (left, right & top)? Yet, our outter trim ring only has TWO of the rubber + plug (so you can stick a small screw driver in w/o taking the trim ring off) - one on the left, and the other on top.

Hence Question: How many adjustment screws came originally on our cars?
I haven't looked closely, but I suspect they use the same assembly for both left and right headlights. Thus, they have adjustment screw locations on both sides so that the adjustment screw is always in the inside part of the Trim ring (for aesthetic purposes, when looking at car from the side). Only one (left or right) adjustment screw is needed for left/right adjustment.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HalV
I haven't looked closely, but I suspect they use the same assembly for both left and right headlights. Thus, they have adjustment screw locations on both sides so that the adjustment screw is always in the inside part of the Trim ring (for aesthetic purposes, when looking at car from the side).
HalV's comment about the aesthetic aspect of having the side adjustment screws on the inside for both LH & RH makes a lot of sense, and it is how I would have thought it supposed to be too.

Hmmm, HalV, but since you have not looked at it closely, could you please double check this (ie your RH pass side trim ring has the side adjustment screw on the inside)??

My headlight assemblies & trim rings are both exactly the same on both sides. In other words, the side adjustment screw is on the left on both sides. And all the part #'s are exactly the same on all parts.

Could you guys all please double check this on your cars. I would find it extremely odd that my all original car (with no accidents at all), would have somehow had RH side replaced with a LH.

Thanks,
=Steve
Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, looked closer and both trim rings are the same with the adjustment on hole on the right (from in the drivers seat). I can only assume that I have one adjustment screw on the right since that's all that's needed. Perhaps they intended to fit a left/right trim ring and decided against it for cost reasons?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:25 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Adjustment screws on the right and top of the bucket, both sides.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:07 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
Adjustment screws on the right and top of the bucket, both sides.
By "right", I assume you mean RH side of the car (pass side),... not the "right" side of the trim ring while looking at it.

...because if you are simply looking at a trim ring off the car,... it will appear that the adjustment screw is on the left.

just being crystal clear.

Quick Reply: Missing headlight adjustment screw