Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi All,

That sir, is a thing of beauty
Thanks Captain

You may remember I had decided to have the exterior door handles drilled "rally style" like many other hot rods. The idea was to repeat the theme of the Momo Prototipo steering wheel and the new interior handles and racing pedals. Sizes and the spacing was tricky to get the look I wanted but the Martini car (pictured here from an earlier post) was a huge help. Nick agreed with my choices and he's so pleased with the finished handles he's making a set for his own car and perhaps a few more, also Sam deserves a special mention, he made the jig. The fixing posts of the handles are slightly offset so care when making the jig to get the correct centre line is required.

I also wanted the holes countersunk which is tricky on a elliptical arch and a jig needed to be made to offer the handle surface square for each individual hole avoid them resembling fried eggs. Here's how it was done, firstly with a spare handle, just in case

The drilled handles are now off to be powder coated, earlier 911's they were anodised which needs a good quality grade aluminium. Porsche soon worked out that it was easier to use a cheaper grade and powder coat them.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by Paul284pt; 07-18-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hello again,

Here's a few bits of eye candy before we get on to the serious business of the engine (more on that later):

Bye for now,
Paul
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good, love the door handles!
Is this something Nick is prepared to do again in the future, or is it a one off?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:45 PM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top quality stuffs no expense spared project...

Since you give it a retro touch with the prototipo and Heuer stopwatch in the inside why not add bright windows trims on the outside? And finish it off with 17 Fuchs...

That would surely fit the description 964 a "modern classic"...
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great job on the handles Paul!!

Love the retro drill, takes me back to metalwork class!!

Where did you get the strut from and would it fit a 90 C4?

Does is it make a difference????

Keep the pics coming
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jotaking
.... and would it fit a 90 C4?
I have a same strut and it will fit to 90 c4.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Looking good, love the door handles!
Is this something Nick is prepared to do again in the future, or is it a one off?
Hi Stuart,

Thanks! They were initially a one off but that won't last for long Nick thinks they have legs. He's making some for his own 911 and a few others, besides, I copied them from the Martini car anyway and taken inspiration (read: ripped off) from loads of other cars. Like the Heuer clock face which was inspired by the Singer

If you're interested it's nick@redtek.co.uk he'll know where you've got it from.

Top quality stuffs no expense spared project...

Since you give it a retro touch with the prototipo and Heuer stopwatch in the inside why not add bright windows trims on the outside? And finish it off with 17 Fuchs...

That would surely fit the description 964 a "modern classic"...
Thanks Jorijori

I know what you mean but the Prototipo and Heuer Monte Carlo, interior handles and the drilled door handles (soon to be back to black, are you there Amy?) so there wouldn't be any point in changing to brightwork as I had previously decided against a full back date.

However, you are bang on, the theme is very much "modern classic" and I'm with you on the Fuchs, they do look great on a 964 and would finish off my project perfectly

Great job on the handles Paul!!

Love the retro drill, takes me back to metalwork class!!

Where did you get the strut from and would it fit a 90 C4?

Does is it make a difference????

Keep the pics coming
Hi Jotaking,

Thanks for your comments. The strut is pretty substantial and it came from a chap who makes them up for Nick at Redtek. Please contact him (email address above) if you require further details. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit a C4, if not they would make you one that will.

Strut braces do make a difference but it depends where and how you drive as to how much benefit you will get. As my engine is still on a bench I have no way of telling you what improvement it will make to my 964 on the road. We'll soon find out though

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of chauffeuring 1970 Le Mans winner Richard Attwood (Porsche 917K) around Silverstone, he's very polite and a true gentleman.
I told him he's cost me a fortune over the last 30'odd years. It was him and the 917 that started it all, Steve McQueen didn't help either By 1972 I was trussed up like a chicken

Back soon,
Paul

Last edited by Paul284pt; 07-19-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Omission
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi,

As promised here are some engine photos from this Tuesday gone.

This head showing machining on inlet.

A question I asked was why isn't the fuel inlet port (from the injectors) isn't also machined and Nick gave me a very comprehensive answer: The figures show more torque when the fuel inlet from the carbs/injectors (showing on side with 3 studs) is left rough as it helps with atomisation. However, once atomised the fuel mixture needs to get smoothly into the piston, hence the porting around the inlet valve.

TRW valves, springs and tungsten seats.

My son Edward with Bruce.

There should be regular photos towards the end of the build which is now going to be approaching fast.

Bye for now,
Paul
Old 07-20-2013, 11:20 PM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May I ask by going with carburator, what will happen to the DME? Are you going to keep using it or you have to replace with something else?

BTW, I was hoping you will do a partial backdate, brightworks, RSR finish Fuchs, chrome headlamp rings, early 911 block & Porsche scripts badge & chome grill on engine lid. IMO, it's going to look great on a balck car.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Jorijori,

May I ask by going with carburator, what will happen to the DME? Are you going to keep using it or you have to replace with something else?
That's a good question. I'm not sure if the relay is still required with the M84 and EFI PMO's. I'll find out.

BTW, I was hoping you will do a partial backdate, brightworks, RSR finish Fuchs, chrome headlamp rings, early 911 block & Porsche scripts badge & chome grill on engine lid. IMO, it's going to look great on a balck car.
I have thought about this long and hard over the last few years and done quite a lot of research as I do love the look. The original plan was to find a nice 964 to back-date, probably via Paul Stephens, or if I was lucky a 2.7 (fat chance) or a 2.4 to restore.

When I found this 964 the car was just too good to rip apart and make it into something isn't. I decided to live with it for a while (recommended) which only re-inforced this. A plan B was required and with 964 prices soaring, especially Coupe manual 2's I didn't want to do too much that couldn't be reversed and anything I did had to add some value.

Having said that, we pulled a good engine to bits with only 73k miles on it and when Nick inspected it he said it must have been really well looked after by previous owners, so credit to them.

I decided to try and make my 911 a bit special but unmistakably a 964. This has gone down well so far with other 964 owners I have had the pleasure of meeting.

My modern classic look will include some carbon in the engine bay (shroud & heater duct), front splitter and strut brace. RS style brake cooling ducts (possibly with integrated fogs). There will be no carbon in the cabin which may be subject to a re-trim next year, lower carpets black and dash/door cappings in leather but the rest more or less how it is now. Although a half-cage trimmed in leather (again Singer style) which might mean I have to also change the seats. We'll see.

Anyway when the current mods are finished I hope you won't be too disappointed with the result.

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi,

The top end is coming together and I hope to have a few more photos soon.

The tin-ware, covers, bumper stays etc. (not the door handles yet though) have returned from being powder coated, as has the fan and cowling, more on them later.

This is a lovely bit of kit, a Quaife limited-slip differential for the Porsche G50 box. It seems like a must have for 350bhp hot rod and I'd been mulling over sliding one down the slippery slope for a while. Oh well, it's only money

I was about to ask Nick when met up with him again when he said, "Have you thought about a limited slip diff?" That's that sorted then. Nick likes these and if he says it's good, that's good enough for me. Have any of you had any experience of them or other aftermarket ltd-slip diffs on G50's?

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yum - great stuff! You must be so damn excited and inpatient?!

Door handles are gonna look stellar!

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 07-23-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Not looked in on your thread lately & just read the last few pages and its all bloody marvellous!!....& you seem to be ticking away at that bucket list with the silverstone day!!

All the best you Lucky bugger...keep them pics coming.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Yum - great stuff! You must be so damn excited and inpatient?!

Door handles are gonna look stellar!
Cheers Frank, don't forget my carbon splitter please Just let me know when you need the cash.

Not looked in on your thread lately & just read the last few pages and its all bloody marvellous!!....& you seem to be ticking away at that bucket list with the silverstone day!!

All the best you Lucky bugger...keep them pics coming.
Thanks Fuch, much appreciated. Here's a couple to be going on with:

Back soon, I hope.
Paul
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Hi Paul,

It's very exciting for all of us to see this coming together, I would imagine you are just as impatient as you were between buying the car and taking delivery originally, but this is probably taking longer.
I'm doing my research at the moment for a similar project, once I know where I'm going I'll start a thread too, but that might be some way off.

is your engine build the same or similar to Franks?

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished project.

Quick Reply: So It Begins