Sponsored by:

Project Lightweight C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
Sounds great - would love to get my car below 1200 i.e. where the cup car is .... Interesting comment on the ps - could be right but I'd hate parking more than I Already do with my buckets (not made for rear viewing over shoulder) I think

Ps - how much weight did you lose building the wall?!

Car looks great knowing what we know
Originally Posted by SuperUser
Have you done anything to lighting the mirrors, I know those flags are heavy.
Apologies not much progress to report, been very busy working for my first client since starting up my own company. I'm doing exactly what this thread is about, hunting down and removing weight to add performance

Hopefully for my next update I will add exact weights for a CAT delete as my CAT is now lying on my garage floor.

Hi Wind, my 930 is on 17's with no PS, not my choice as the PO fitted them, without PS after a full day in the mountains my arms ache in a good way. I lost 6kg from my wall building

SuperUser, done nothing on the flags, they will be going at some stage, will probably fit something slinky like Ruf or 935 mirrors
Old 11-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

An update on the running total after a few small jobs

68g rear window demister loom (up to dash only)
383g glove box and steel mounting strap
568g plastic heat shield between CAT and engine
847g steel heat shield between CAT and engine
3012g charcoal canister delete, all pipe work and breather tank on top of fuel tank (will need to block off the various open pipes also need to work out where to fit a rollover valve for the fuel tank)
5316g CAT and lamda sensor with loom (will need to add a straight through pipe and refit the lamda sensor

weight removed running 206.375kg or 455lbs

I'll need to add a little weight back on but I've smashed through another milestone, getting rid of the first 200kg
Old 11-08-2015, 06:28 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to hear more details on the charcoal canister delete... I'd love to get rid of that turd.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
I would love to hear more details on the charcoal canister delete... I'd love to get rid of that turd.
Easily done.

There are a few easy ways round this using a simple plastic vacuum operated valve driven off the manifold pressure(928.110.429.08). This approach is nothing new and has been done on many other cars for years. Take the vent hose from the tank and connect it to one side of the vacuum valve. You then have two options on where to connect the other side of the valve.

Option 1, run the line to the upstream side of the air-mass sensor/air-box (or throttle butterfly if you've binned the mass sensor)

Option 2, insert a very narrow 1mm restrictor into the line and run it to the manifold (down-stream side of the butterfly)

This way, when the engine is running the manifold vacuum will open the valve allowing the gasses to flow, and close the vent off when the engine stops.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:29 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rob.

On a track only car, would there be any reason to run the vent all the way back to be burned in the cylinders? Would it be acceptable to just place a rollover valve and vent to atmosphere?

I'm trying to clean up the engine bay, and every vacuum line counts!
Old 11-10-2015, 03:55 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can, however there is a risk that the car and wherever you park it can end up with an oder of fumes. Not good in a garage.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:05 AM
olfrjf
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, very interesting post, i have buy my second 964 C2 yesterday to put on the track, i'm searching for lighter fiber parts in europe... (doors, rear bonnet, front wings, rear windows polycarbonate etc...)

++
Olivier
Old 11-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Originally Posted by olfrjf
Hi all, very interesting post, i have buy my second 964 C2 yesterday to put on the track, i'm searching for lighter fiber parts in europe... (doors, rear bonnet, front wings, rear windows polycarbonate etc...)

++
Olivier
DP Motorsport do good quality carbon fibre panels and these guys do polycarbonate windows www.plastics4performance.com

Will you start a build thread? Sounds like an interesting project.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:06 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a couple more weights for reference, hope you don't mind me adding them in this thread;
I have just changed from alloy to plastic inlet manifolds so had them to compare...

Air filter element 325g
Airbox lid with trumpet 560g
cup bypass pipe (porsche genuine part) when the rear engine fan is removed 433g
nearside inlet manifold - alloy 1870g plastic 1154g
offside inlet manifold - alloy 1776g plastic 1081g
old style inlet with integrate throttle body, including ISV but no intake rubbers 2944g
Rubber 90deg section from TB to AFM for old style TB - 467g
AFM with airbox base attached - 2990g
set of 4 large rubbers from TB to lhs and rhs inlet manifolds with jubilee clips - 402g
Old 12-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Great thanks tdiquattro, good to see your measuring down to the last gram

Sorry I've got nothing to add, been super busy saving grams on a super secret car project.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:31 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

I was highly pessimistic on my weight loss regimen so I sadly didn't record weights as I removed my items. However, under the Yoda-esque tutelage of this thread I was able to get my 993 down to a pretty low result! I still have 80-100lbs to go, but as the Captain has said many times... The key was thoroughness.

Thanks for the kick *** thread Captain! Hopefully the racing world will take a big enough breath to let us see your progress on the 964!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

That's awesome jstyer, fantastic effort, sub 1150kg I'm well pleased someone is getting something from this thread.

I've not had a chance to pause from work so can't offer any updates on my car, sorry! I'm too busy doing what this thread is about 12hrs a day and just don't get time to work on my own car, tough life or what !

In the meantime while you wait for a 964 update please enjoy the sounds of another previous project. I'll leave it to you guys to work out what's in the back and and what it was built for.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Apologies for lack of updates, not had much chance to play on my car this year.

After a few late nights and busy weekends I now have an MOT (UK annual road worthiness test), passed with no advisories The 8 mile drive to the garage and back made me realise I'm 100% putting my stamp on my car instead of cashing in on 964 prices by taking the normal route when doing a 'C2 Lightweight' build.

In preparation for a week of mountain driving with some Porsche minded friends in the Spanish Pyrenees early June I've fitted uprated brake pads, high performance brake fluid and 4 new Bridgestone SO2A tyres

Did a quick weigh in tonight to set my 2016 starting weight

Total weight is 1138kg with 1/4 tank of fuel, weight distribution is 36.4% front and 63.6% rear, corner weights are all over the place as I've run out of spring platform adjustment on the front

Just a reminder of car spec, basically I've stripped a stock manual RHD C2 down to the bare bones. Only lightweight parts fitted are a CAT delete pipe, centre muffler delete pipe and 8"/9" x 17" Fikse Mach V wheels

Plan for this summer is just to drive it, go to a few events and if time allows fit a 6-speed gearbox, delete the power steering and strip off a few left over bits.

As I've got too many other home/work projects on the cool stuff will have to wait
Old 07-09-2016, 03:18 PM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Captain,

I love your thread and was searching for it the last 20 minutes...

Today my elec. window on the drivers side quitted, and now the way is open for some more weight loss in the doors. I need to look up your whole thread again, since I am with aluminum hood and carbon back lid (but big reds and Heigo RS-rollbar) at 1160KG's...

keep up the good work - my goal is below 1100... in close the original shape (inside and outside the car).

Greetz, cheers Tim
Old 07-12-2016, 07:44 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Agreed - superb thread - but if you're driving around in the mountains, pictured are required.

In the pursuit of real world impact, I suggest you also please show the tread depth as you drive over some sandy/muddy stuff .... then compare with other 964s with you

Quick Reply: Project Lightweight C2