Sponsored by:

Car Vinyl Wrap DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM
longhitv
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Using Pasti-dip instead??

Plasti-dip is a nice option if you don't want to repaint you car. I live in Vancouver and someone has quoted $800 to spray a 911. The spray is put on, and when you don't want it, it can be pealed off like a rubberized texture. Its pretty durable. There are many youtube videos on applications. Id be tempted to look into this as a flat colour than using vinyl. A good vinyl would run you $800 anyways.

The colour hart is below, FYI
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spoke to my friend about vinyl and mentioned what happened with yours. He said its most likely the result of over-stretching the vinyl.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longhitv
Plasti-dip is a nice option if you don't want to repaint you car. I live in Vancouver and someone has quoted $800 to spray a 911. The spray is put on, and when you don't want it, it can be pealed off like a rubberized texture. Its pretty durable. There are many youtube videos on applications. Id be tempted to look into this as a flat colour than using vinyl. A good vinyl would run you $800 anyways.

The colour hart is below, FYI
Yes, I also looked at plasti-dip. I even tried it on the door handle, the problem with plasti dipping is it does not spray evenly like paint. It comes out in thick and thin layer, very inconsistent, which will leave streaks. It also shows more like orange peel with large dimples. Another issue with plasti dipping it only comes in mat/flat, you also need to spray the clear plasti-dip product which also emphasize the orange peel effect. It may look good on rims or large stripping, but I wouldnt do the entire car. After doing the door handle I was disapointed with the plasti-dip finish, so I peeled it off and sanded down for a good coat of old fashion black paint.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by PChar
Yes, I also looked at plasti-dip. I even tried it on the door handle, the problem with plasti dipping is it does not spray evenly like paint. It comes out in thick and thin layer, very inconsistent, which will leave streaks. It also shows more like orange peel with large dimples. Another issue with plasti dipping it only comes in mat/flat, you also need to spray the clear plasti-dip product which also emphasize the orange peel effect. It may look good on rims or large stripping, but I wouldnt do the entire car. After doing the door handle I was disapointed with the plasti-dip finish, so I peeled it off and sanded down for a good coat of old fashion black paint.
You need a spray gun to do larger panels...
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 PM
rikaro
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO if you like glossy finish, you should stick with a wrap. Plasti-dip plus glossifier imo doesn`t look good to me. In fact it looks like a really bad paint job.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:27 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

if you really consider antoher color, I would just do it. Otherwise you weren't really considering it. How about mint green btw?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Lozzy997
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Fantastic thread, thanks for posting.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 PM
mccrimmon
1st Gear

OP, did you have to do anything in particular before you wrapped the area that had the peeling clear coat? Sanding or removing the peeling? I am contemplating wrapping the roof of my car which has a good amount of clear coat peeling. Thanks for your time and advice!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you've done a good job - but can I make two points. First, this stuff is only good for about 3 years - so you'll be at it again.. But more importantly, with your skill set (which you probably didn't realise you had !!) - I am sure you could have quite easily actually painted this car yourself instead of vinyl wrapping it.
Anyhow, it has been a great project and have enjoyed following it.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:12 PM
weissk911
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread, great effort. I do really like the color. Sorry about the issues.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Gem.Stickout
5th Gear

Really nice and smoothly done. I actually had one in my but didn't end up wrapping it all over. Just add some character on it to look appealing.

Name:  06d947d0-da81-4ec4-a4cd-e1f768f549d9_zpsc3883e52.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  OctopusCloseUp_zps67c18be6.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  32.8 KB

I'm planning of getting a new design that would replace the current design. No worries in exchanging sticker, since it was very easy to take off and it didn't leave any residue.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Mistergee
Advanced

There is another good thing about vinyl that hasnt been mentioned here,

IT can protect an existing quality/original Paint job for if you want to resell the car you can simply heat the vinyl up a bit then peel it off and the paint underneath is markless and spotless in the same condition as when you covered it with vinyl 2 or 3 years previously,

$500 of vinyl to protect your pride and joy every three years is good economy, when you think about it a Paint job lasts for what 5 years? then to get it professonally resprayed can cost in excess of $15k, to bring it back to a concours state,

Instead re wrap it every 3 years and your paint job will last forever, and you could also unwrap it when you want to show it at a show or something

Vinyl (In Satin or Matt) is the way to go
Old 10-24-2014, 12:09 PM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

a paint job should last more than 5 years, unless you are really negligent. I have thought about wrapping mine just for fun. After seeing this I will stick with what I have. OP I see you live in Chester county, I do as well. Maybe I will see you around.

Quick Reply: Car Vinyl Wrap DIY