Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to replace boots on OEM swaybar links?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have found a place that will ship to North America. Prices seem reasonable. Has anyone tried this place?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-UNIVERSA...item4addc111e2
Old 12-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesty

they can no longer get the extra small but they claim the small will probably still fit the tie rod ends
If you look for Panda tools on Google and eBay you'll find some alternatives in the correct size.

Use these guys for the Cayenne too and noticed it's better to go smaller than larger. The smaller ones stretch a lot.

Best way to fit is to turn inside out and just roll them over the top. Plops right in place that way. Don't forget the lube!

Hummmm, no comment.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Have ordered the small size from PANDA and will see how they fit. Had to ship to a friend in Denmark to then have him ship to Canada as PANDA won't ship outside of the EU.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:21 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

The small size available from PandA fits like butter on my C4 front links (top only). My only problem now is getting the spring clip back onto the big end. The more I struggle, the more grease I am losing.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:14 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

A photo library of the job
Removal

I tried to do the job in place but shortly after this pic, I removed the drop links

The parts, both old and new

Starting the install. Look how bad it was

As has been mentioned, moly-based is not a good idea as there is a plastic cup inside the ball joint. So I put some lithium grease here...

Then topped up using this method.

I struggled to get the spring over the big end, so I quit and will install viton o-rings instead.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:01 PM
P356GT
Instructor

When I did it I took and made a small tool of cutting a very small metal tube in two pieces that I then slided onto each end of the spring clip and could by this manage to widen it and also get it over the bootom boot. Sorry but I do not have picture at hand here but will try to get some.
I manage to fill the boot via the top or small end with a needle that was filed with grease.
Trying to make it as litle messy as possible :-)
/ Per
Old 02-04-2015, 09:20 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Edit,
I tried to install the 2x slinky-like retainer clip but I couldn't get it open enough in order to get over the boot or the drop link. I then looked for the correct sized O-ring, but found that when you get to 1 inch diameter O-rings, the thickness of the O-ring was too big and it wouldn't push the boot into the groove on the drop link. I then tried a stainless steel wire twisted carefully and bent over the top of the drop link and that seem to work okay, but I didn't like the professionalism. So this was the last incarnation:
Old 02-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What size external snap ring did you use? It seems like a good solution.

Quick Reply: Possible to replace boots on OEM swaybar links?