Pulled the trigger on a 3.8 RS inspired 964 - development journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 02:14 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

yes I might be a bit optimistic
but we're only advancing to 17-18 degrees
and it feels like if it can got to 21-22 there's a lot of power there ... but we'll see
going to take a couple weeks to enjoy the awesome road map, change oil etc...
If the octane allows it great ... else it'll stay trimmed

re Avgas - not here really ... our AvGas is 2x+ the price of normal fuel
... ie very similar price to buying normal and Octane boosting it
Old 04-19-2015, 04:35 PM
HiWind
Race Car

been waiting for a motec cable which we needed as the old one is gone .. geez Oz is a long way away!
Anyways, should be here next week and then we can do the 2nd (octane boosted) map etc..

In the mean time I've been perusing this fantastic place and thinking ...
so I need some advice re HVAC removal ... before I begin.

Q: does it make sense to remove all the weight between the fuel tank and the cabin?
ie the remaining aircon pipes (mine is all gone except those), the fans, the whole HVAC bulky unit?
ie Left and right interior front fans, in the luggage compartment (and front left aircon fan & condensor)
(as usual Tore's site is first stop on the issue ... http://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac2.html)

oh and this ... one of the most epic DIY threads of all time
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...hvac-swap.html

I figured I could find something smaller/more modern to blow air.
Haven't really studied it to consider impact on front windscreen defogger if I remove the servos though (and I think they're part of the unit).

Also wary of doing anything too irreversible (ha!)
but the loss of another 15-25kgs is tempting, although it is in the front, its still weight
and the thought of going +50kg below RS weight is very tempting.

Please 'weigh' in if you can

ps - I note from Jeff CUrtis' 05 thread & Jason A's comments it worth being careful re the airbag light ... could be triggered and hard to reverse

Last edited by HiWind; 04-19-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I had my HVAC out this winter to remove the the evaporator. The rest of the AC system is gone since many years. The totalt weight of the unit incl evaporator was 9,5 kg, the evap was 1,9 kg. Even if you track your car I do think fans are a good thing for ventilation or for days with rain (or a bit cold as it can be in Sweden in early spring). So for me the net weight vs function isn't worth the hassle. A parameter for me is that I also want the factory look/finish from a Cup and not some self made custom solution. So the HVAC went back in but now 1,9 kg lighter.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks Thomas - your road-cup car is looking great by the way! - need to revisit that.

I figured I could replace the suitcase with some simple fans for misting up or just face/feet
But if the weight saving is only 10kgs I can see why you say it's not enough to justify the work.
I agree on factory look feel but as the suitcase is so well hidden, I don't think it would impact that.

Will do the Evap anyway as you say - thanks

Also figured as the parts are insanely expensive I could sell them easily to pay for the sunroof delete
Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
...Also figured as the parts are insanely expensive I could sell them easily to pay for the sunroof delete
I like your thinking!
Old 04-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Rioja del 73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My car is light and saved a lot in the inside and with the sunroof delete, rear spoiler, and running without heating or air conditionning which I have never missed any of them.

But I do find the ventilating very usefull on the track or travelling with rain.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

10kgs is a big lump of weight and up high as bolt on parts go, also don't forget the fan blower in the engine bay, all the ducting and rear flap valves, probably closer to 15kgs in total

Not sure what weather you plan to enjoy your car in but if its just wet weather and not cold weather driving you could fit a heated screen and simple flap system for ventilation

I've removed my whole system and a late night Sept. drive over the Alps convinced me I need to fit back in some lightweight heat
Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rioja del 73
Hi,
My car is light and saved a lot in the inside and with the sunroof delete, rear spoiler, and running without heating or air conditionning which I have never missed any of them.

But I do find the ventilating very usefull on the track or travelling with rain.
hey Rioja ... long time no see ... would love to hear updates/vids on your martini 964 ... and thanks for that - agreed re venting & rain (although its a weekend car)

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
10kgs is a big lump of weight and up high as bolt on parts go, also don't forget the fan blower in the engine bay, all the ducting and rear flap valves, probably closer to 15kgs in total

Not sure what weather you plan to enjoy your car in but if its just wet weather and not cold weather driving you could fit a heated screen and simple flap system for ventilation

I've removed my whole system and a late night Sept. drive over the Alps convinced me I need to fit back in some lightweight heat
cheers Maestro ... yes 10kg lumps aren't easy to find (my rear blower etc.. already gone) but I can do my sunroof which is heavier and higher first ... but still contemplating the options re suitcase. Never need much heat here though!

q1. heated screen - do you mean a new front windscreen with filament?
q2. going to review a small, simple Nissan system as a possible 2 way /flapped option - other options you know of?

would love to make it to 1100 kgs but 1150 and less work might make more sense.

Last edited by HiWind; 04-27-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:52 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
q2. going to review a small, simple Nissan system as a possible 2 way /flapped option - other options you know of?
Heads up. Just noticed this unit on a car prepared by Patrick Motosports.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/pr...speed/#image_8
Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 AM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks Udo .. talk about a rear seat delete on that car!

Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL - My goodness!

Open trumpets as well. Can you imagine the induction raw with those in the cabin with you - It'd be deafening.

It's a nice solution for moving the dry sump tank out of the wheel arch tho
Old 07-30-2015, 03:43 PM
HiWind
Race Car

lucked into this on the 'restoring 964T to stock' trash pile ... might be a bit wide
but some sanding, maybe a bit of narrowing and then some fill and paint & I think my
from will be complete. Not often you find CF on the freebie pile eh! FVD part maybe?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:51 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi, what's that bag??
Old 07-30-2015, 04:54 PM
HiWind
Race Car

lol ... always picking out the details ... free helmet bag from Porsche Centre NbRing trip
Old 07-31-2015, 09:11 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm jealous now

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a 3.8 RS inspired 964 - development journal