Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Seat Recovering, Looking for Options

Old 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Seat Recovering, Looking for Options

The front seats look like they are pretty tired. At some point in the past they had been dyed but that has now pretty much worn off (on to all my dark T-shirts 2 summers ago).

I'm looking at recovering them and either having them done professionally or perhaps giving a shot at it myself.

I've seen a variety of leather replacement kits out there and there is a wide variety in price (and perhaps quality)

Has anyone tried the one on eBay from Diamond Mall? They seem VERY reasonably priced and he has excellent feedback. When I contacted the merchant he said he had sold over 1000 sets (obviously not all to Porsche owners). There was a thread on this here on these forums but it died out without any real feedback.

A few other options were World Upholstry, Lakewell, and Gahh. In these cases though the prices are far more expensive and I'm not sure there is additional value there to warrant it.

Does anyone have any experience with the ones from Diamond Mall? All things being equal this would seem to be the way to go.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I just purchased a set, black leather, but have not installed it yet. So I can not comment of fit yet but they appear to be done very professionally, leather looks great, even stitching, and the leather smell is nice too

Delivery was 7 days as advertised. So far, I am very pleasantly surprised. The positive feedback I read seems earned. I'll post pictures as I am going to tackle this DIY over the next weeks. It is supposed to start snowing Chicago pretty soon....
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 AM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by cjoenck
I just purchased a set, black leather, but have not installed it yet. So I can not comment of fit yet but they appear to be done very professionally, leather looks great, even stitching, and the leather smell is nice too

Delivery was 7 days as advertised. So far, I am very pleasantly surprised. The positive feedback I read seems earned. I'll post pictures as I am going to tackle this DIY over the next weeks. It is supposed to start snowing Chicago pretty soon....
I'll look forward to seeing how your project progresses. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

I'm looking forward to hearing how it is going and what they look like at the end. Mine are a bit shredded as well so looking for options
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 PM
dominic.m
Track Day

Have you guys considered just refinishing them?

http://leatherique.com

or

http://leatheriquecanada.com

No affiliation... a buddy of mine saw them demonstrate their stuff at a classic car show and it's pretty incredible. The site has a photo gallery and a how to as well. In the spring I'll give my interior a refresh for sure.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bolster split and general wear, so I am def looking for a good leather cover to make it look new. I am looking forward to hearing what is the best option out there as well.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My expereince with Diamond Mall

I purchased covers from Diamond Mall and was not all that happy as you can see by the pictures. I emailed them and was told "send them back and I will send them back to the manufacturer". I already had my covers off before I noticed the problems. So I would have to send them from NY back to CA and he would then ship them to the manufacturer and then in reverse. This meant my 964 would be tied up for who knows how long. I ended up bringing them to a local upolsterer for repair. I will say the leather was real nice.
Attached Images   

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM
hamah
Pro

Did you put them on yourself and if so any problems or tips to pass on? Do you think the issue you had could have been identified before installing? Was the foam on your seat still in good shape?

I'm not too worried about downtime as the car is off the road for the winter.

In retrospect would you buy them again?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. Yes I put them on myself, but if I had to do it over again I would buy the covers, remove the seats and have a local shop do it. This way if there's any problem they can fix it such as in my case. MY foam and etc. were in good shape. I would not buy from Diamond Mall again, the leather was nice but the fit was suspect. If you have a real nice car and want it done perfect, spend the extra money.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:41 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

I thought I'd take a minute to share with the community my experience with Diamond Mall on Ebay.

I bought a set of vinyl covers for my 964, for $465 shipped, I thought they were very nice quality. The color is not quite Cashmere Beige (P940), but it was close enough.

I have fit a couple sets of seat covers before, and expected this to be no different. I should have test fit the seats better, but upon first fitting, they appeared as though they would be ok.

2 weeks later, and a few hours down the drain, I took the seats and covers to my local trim shop that has been in business for 40 years. I left them there, and they agreed to pad and fit them. A week later I get a call to come see about some issues they cannot resolve without recutting some of the vinyl.

The seller (Diamond Mall) was great about communication, but it was pretty clear from the start were not going to facilitate a return because I had partially installed the covers. I escalated the case with ebay, but to no avail. Needless to say, I cannot recommend them--quite the opposite in fact!

I have however had good experience purchasing covers from Kyle at Only944.com
Old 02-09-2017, 05:06 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I took a leap of faith and ordered a set of leather covers for my 993 from Lseat.com

If I ever get them, I'll post a review on the fit.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

These might interest you if looking for Grey NA

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ers-964-a.html
Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 PM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm in the same boat as well, suggestions or recommendations welcome.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:06 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimonycricket
Seat covers ALWAYS look like crap and end up being a waste of money. They never fit right and have tons of wrinkles. Be smart and buy some 997 seats on ebay. See:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-Porsche-leather-seats-from-997-911-Turbo-6-way-power-and-heated-/332118914533?hash=item4d53d475e5%3Ag%3Ak-0AAOSw2xRYYplS&_trkparms=pageci%253A9ed8088f-f32b-11e6-999e-74dbd180a80e%257Cparentrq%253A3fbb7a1b15a0a787f7a17f48fff6d752%257Ciid%2 53A1

Last edited by JJJMCD; 02-14-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:06 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jimonycricket
Autos International is pretty well known for quality work. Will they do a 964's seats?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Seat Recovering, Looking for Options