Converting to US spec?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Converting to US spec?

Guys,

In the near future I may be moving to the USA... it is our destination as my wife is American (from California) and we would like to end up there to raise the kids. Even though we're not sure, there's one kid that needs special attention: the 964 Anniversary.

My research shows that from 2014 there is no emissions testing when she enters the USA. So that is a plus... and I don't see us moving much before that and if need be I would delay the shipping.

The car is originally an EU spec, but with not cat converter.

In terms of converting the car the obvious things that I can think of for safety and regulations:

1/ Lights
Can I keep the EU yellow indicators or do I need to go with the US spec parts?
The side indicators can stay on the wings I hope?
What about the front lights?
There is no third brake light... required?

2/ Ride height?
I have it at regular EU height with EU geo. Almost had the sports suspension installed, but stopped just short. No point if I will need to go to US spec. Can I get the correct height from EU suspension?

3/ Passenger side mirror. Easy replacement?

4/ Bumpers?
The bumpers are different, but more importantly the supports underneath are very different. The EU spec collapse and need to be replaced whereas the US spec have springs in them (or whatever material with some give in it). So they need to be replaced. But what about the bumper. The rear US spec bumper looks differently, do I need that?

5/ Speedo?
Since it is color coded as part of the Anniversary package I'll need to have it done by the pros. NHS or PaloAlto or so. Get the MPH and KPH scale on there. The mileage I hope to leave in KM if allowed. Any tips?

6/ Safety cross bars?
The pre964s didn't have the high strength steel cross bar in the door and this needed to be put in to get it to US spec, but I hope the 964 has it in both the EU spec and the US spec. Anybody knows?

Is there anything else that I need to consider?

The process seems to require a registered importer to import for me, but I can get the car to US spec before shipping to delay anythign on arrival. Ofcourse they will charge something to "certify" it as US spec compliant, but I'm OK with that.

I wonder if there are any Anniversary Edition 964s in the USA. Do any of you know?

Any tips or advice is higly appreciated as I couldn't get much out of the search on this topic.

Thanks,
Michiel
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

C'mon guys... there must be someone who has some more information on this.

I've looked in the parts guide and it doesn't sound like that much is needed... so I hope someone can confirm this.

Thanks...
Old 10-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any experience in this (after all I am in Australia)

However, I...think...that apart from pollution requirements, all the other stuff depends on the state you move to, and there's a wide variation of requirements.

The US guys that would have experience importing stuff would be the guys bringing in older Japanese cars. Maybe try looking up an importer or dealer for classic Skylines or something? Say like JDM Legends in Utah?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience has been it is relativity easy to import a car from the federal level as long as your paper work is in order. Title, ownership ect… It is up to the state to regester it for use on public roads. As Babalouie said that ranges greatly by state. In my state Minnesota the requirements are very easy on older cars no emissions testing or even safety testing. I think California is going to be one of the most difficult to get regesterd but others may disagree. I would check with your state and check the local requirements via their website. Just search DMV (state) and you will get all the information you need. Good luck.. . I imported a Datsun 240z from Japan a few years ago and had no issues. Also helped export a Harley to Germany for a friend last year.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

I'm now a year later and still none the wiser... has anybody imported a car from EU to CA?

And what needed to be changed is my question then.

Somebody must know this.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not really sure about the US laws. In Canada effectively anything over 15 years is fine as is (mine is EU spec) but the equivalent law in the US applies after 25 years. At the end of the day, I think it comes down to the VIN and not the equipment. Though I'm aware of the Maritime RS that the guy in Oregon (?) registered without changing anything. Cash solution?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a year?? seems like just a few months to me. I don't know what California will require, you should just contact the Department Of Motor Vehicles there in order to find your answer. Or try their website, most DMV sites are pretty good
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I have no substantive reason to say this, but maybe call ANDIAL in Cali and ask?

Quick Reply: Converting to US spec?