Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 964th Rennlist Post! Big Brakes, EVO Uprights, and the Slippery Slope...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:09 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

As a follow up for those using this brake combination on their 964:
Front: 993TT w/Pagid RS29 (Yellow)
Rear: 993NB w/Pagid RS14 (Black)
Proportioning Valve: gutted

I've been amazed at the brake pad life that I was getting out of this new brake setup. But just as I thought that the brake pads might last forever, I boiled the brake fluid at the track. Miraculously, it occurred after we took the checkered flag, so the brake pedal went to the floor on a cool-down lap. Scary, but uneventful due to the timing. I consider myself very fortunate. Anyway, the culprit was most likely due to brake pad wear - too much heat being transferred to the caliper and fluid.

I thought it would be interesting to compare the front/rear wear bias of this setup:

The front RS29's are endurance pads, and therefore are meant to wear much better than the RS14 rears. You can definitely see that the fronts are at about 50% pad life, while the rears are about 20-25%. This is after 7 track days at a track that is light on brakes - which I think is remarkable. Previously, I might have been able to get 2 days out of a set of 964 fronts.

Also, if you look closely, you can also see uneven wear on the fronts - the leading edge wears faster than the trailing side, leading to an angled pad.

Also, I was using ATE Type 200 brake fluid, but will be moving to a better fluid now.

I'm not sure if any of this information is helpful or interesting to anyone, but I felt the desire to add additional anecdotal information for those considering this big brake upgrade to their 964. Performance-wise, it works beautifully at the track.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Ah ha! thank you for this post... first, this combined with several other write ups made the M/C and brake change on my car fairly painless. However, the brake light issue we just noticed after reassembling everything... I figured this was the cause but this helps to keep us from chasing our tails :-)

Quick Reply: My 964th Rennlist Post! Big Brakes, EVO Uprights, and the Slippery Slope...