Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing a failed sensor before it fails

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is great. Mine has started to squeel sporadically, making a terrible high pitched noise. I wonder if I can save mine with your fix above.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grankin
Annnnd ... a progress report: here it is, nearly 3 years after I "rebuilt" the stock sensor wheel using a couple of washers and a bolt. It continues to function properly.

So my advice to anyone whose sensor has lost a wheel? Don't bother trying to repair it, nor to find the parts that have run away and hid somewhere. Buy a new unit, then read what I wrote at the top of this thread. Cheap, easy, and (fingers crossed) permanent.
Repair going on 5 years. Still does what Mr. Porsche wanted it to do.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Bumping an old thread.

I recently had LWS (lost wheel syndrome) on my 993. My sensor was 26 months old, just past warranty. A local rennlister pointed me to this thread (thanks Super 90).

In my situation, there was not enough room for the button head to clear the fan shroud upon cutting the zip tie. This was a little dissapointing, akin to launching a boat to watch it sink, as that sensor is not the worlds easiest one to install. It was the smallest amount it was catching on though. If I pushed it gently it would move by the shroud but I decided instead to remove one (the one on the backside facing the front of the car) of the fender washers and then it cleared. This meant I got to install the sensor twice. It does get easier! Not sure if the 993's are different. Or it is just the thick powder coat on my shroud (grrr) but thought I would share my experience. Thanks to the op for the thread.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

I can't seem to locate that exact bearing on the link provided...no plastic Wheels, just all metal bearings.

What am I missing?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Ok... nevermind after all. I assumed that the bearing included the plastic wheel, now after re-reading the posts, I think not.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:48 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I found some on eBay. That link shows several different bearings from several different mfr. I got two from the same vendor for about $13 to my door. There's a vendor selling a 12 pack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/***-626RS-Be...dXFrzV&vxp=mtr
Old 08-03-2019, 09:29 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by grankin
Repair going on 5 years. Still does what Mr. Porsche wanted it to do.
Seven years later. No problems, still does the intended job.
The following users liked this post:
Richard H (08-04-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 12:53 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your 7 year commitment on reporting back is commendable a lot of threads seem to post a problem, some discussion and then no solution let alone periodic report backs.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:23 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

I’ve recently been infected by this symptom though everything appears intact, properly aligned and rolling as it should. The warning light turns on and off repeatedly with no real rhyme or reason.

it was really hard to relax and enjoy driving while this was occurring though eventually I got used to it yesterday.

The issue began late Friday and continued all day yesterday. I suspect I’ll have the same conditions again today. I’ve driven about 700 miles since Friday with about 250 to go today.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:16 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Cleaned the wiring connection with contact spray then smugly told myself about 45 miles later “you fixed it’ only to jinx myself. The warning occurred sporadically over the remaining 200 miles, sometimes for seconds, others minutes.

The frequency was far less than before the cleaning. I’ll keep troubleshooting.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I had these delrin wheels made and then press in a new bearing...

Name:  photo201.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  969.6 KB

Name:  photo981.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  929.4 KB

The way to install them is tricky, you have to grind off the peen on the bearing shaft, then press out the shaft/pull the bearing...
Then press on the new bearing and wheel and use the m3 bolt and fender washer per this thread to hold it together. Works great and if it ever fails, easy enough to swap out a new bearing.

One thing i can say, btw- is don't use a button head- use a flat head and countersink it into the Brass shaft on the backside of the unit.

Name:  photo353.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  494.7 KB

I ran off a hundred of them...and the reason i haven't really posted them for sale like i did w the wot dodad and the diff lock seals, is because the install is tricky and requires effort...so rather than everyone getting frustrated after having spent money...so I've just been using them here for the cars that come through my garage...

That said....if it looks to be something anyone would like to try, feel free to pm me. The oem sensors are terrible...

But- if you do want to try one, and you pm me...keep in mind, I've not had one of these installed in a car for 20 years, so while we may think this is a better solution to the oem unit, there is no way to tell until we are all using them and another 20 years goes by. So if you want to complain, i won't listen until spring 2040.

Oh...i just remembered- i won't likely be alive in 2040...and if i am, my hearing is going to be terrible. So we are all set!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by carlskisWP
Your 7 year commitment on reporting back is commendable a lot of threads seem to post a problem, some discussion and then no solution let alone periodic report backs.
Exactly!

Lots of "Help! My car won't start" threads out there without soloution! Most 964s must be non startets by now!
Old 03-09-2020, 05:21 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Been driving more today. Warning indicator has not indicated any warnings.

Weird.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:23 PM
Over12000RPM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi @grankin , thank you for the write up, but the pics are now all non-displayable, with big grey triangle and exclamation mark, would you be able to update the pics, please?

Quick Reply: Fixing a failed sensor before it fails