Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reprogramming the spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

the early analaog version? for a 964? or on another car?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The other IC is a Motorola MC14538 , a monostable multivibrator, and as Loren mentions, is configured into a F/V
converter.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Esel Mann Jr.
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read throughout the various threads and posts regarding the spoiler control unit, the "analog" version I believe is for the '89 964s. It appears that perhaps it was also used for the '90 model year as well? If someone could confirm this is true that would be great!

Also, the picture I saw of the "analog" one was not very clear (fuzzy). If someone has such a unit and would be so kind as to take clear top/bottom pictures plus a picture of the outer cover with the part number/etc. information and share with us that would be great too!

My available time to work on this over the weekend was tied up with my '84 911 so I didn't make much progress. I was however able to identify the major players for the 964.618.212.00 spoiler control unit:

- Voltage regulator is a Toshiba TA7900S. This regulator also has a watchdog timer.

- Op amp is a Texas Instruments LM2904.

- Transistors (there are 3 flavors) are BC516, BC337, and BD677. Due to the era in which this unit was built, there could be any number of possible manufacturers.

- Microcontroller is a NEC uPD75402AC 4-bit uC.

I was able to find datasheets on all of the above so now I need to trace the circuit to come up with a schematic for the module.

Note that on the bottom side there are a few 3-pin SOT-23 packaged devices. I have not yet had a chance to identify them. Typically however such a package is used for diodes or transistors but there are other simple ICs which use this very package too. I will look into this one further.

Also note as I mentioned in a prior post NEC is out of the microcontroller business. It was spun out and Renesas took over their microcontroller line. The above part is obsolete, which is no surprise so I will look to see if Renasas may have a newer replacement. Which I would doubt, but nevertheless needs to be confirmed before making a switch to another microcontroller.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
The early analog version uses simple frequency to voltage conversion. That one can be modified basically to any up/down settings. It's been done a number of times.
@Lorenfb, I have the analogue style controller, can you point me to a thread on modding it as you describe? my searches are drawing a blank.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Esel,

I'll take photo's of my module tonight and post them.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"The above part is obsolete, which is no surprise so I will look to see if Renasas may have a newer replacement. Which I would doubt, but nevertheless needs to be confirmed before making a switch to another microcontroller."

Why all this effort? As mentioned in this thread, someone has already done
a re-design using a PIC type microprocessor. He was successful, so just ask
him for all the details.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Loren, I think all the effort is because Cotown decided not to sell his controller module and does not seem very active on Rennlist anymore. That is fine and we all appreciated Cotown's contributions. Perhaps some one can reach out to him.

Its great to see a new burst of energy around this and I encourage all involved to keep going and support the 964 community. Even if it means someone else needs to figure things out for himself. There is a certain joy in understanding things yourself, making a clean design, and helping others.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
...Its great to see a new burst of energy around this and I encourage all involved to keep going and support the 964 community. Even if it means someone else needs to figure things out for himself. There is a certain joy in understanding things yourself, making a clean design, and helping others.
+2
Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Loren, I think all the effort is because Cotown decided not to sell his controller module and does not seem very active on Rennlist anymore. That is fine and we all appreciated Cotown's contributions. Perhaps some one can reach out to him.

Its great to see a new burst of energy around this and I encourage all involved to keep going and support the 964 community. Even if it means someone else needs to figure things out for himself. There is a certain joy in understanding things yourself, making a clean design, and helping others.
+3
Old 03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

@ Esel

Where's pin #2 (above the locator pin) go to on your module?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Esel Mann Jr.
Cruisin'

Mojorizing,

Sorry for the delay in reply!

In review of the wiring diagram for a 93, pin 2 is not connected to anything outside of the module. I also did not see pin 2 connected to anything outside the module for the wiring diagrams of other model years either. If someone knows different please let us know!

Also, in looking at the connector on the harness, pin 2 is on a part of the connector whereby there is simply a plastic receptacle, no provision for an electrical receptacle. I've attached a picture, sorry for it being out of focus. Nevertheless if you look at the right side of the connector in the picture (side opposite the wiring bundle) you will note receptacles for pins 1 and 2, that is the pins above/below the polarizer receptacle are simply plastic.

It would appear that pin 2 is not used for anything outside of the module while the module is integrated into our 964's. There may be two possibilities for its existence: (a) sometimes electronics are used across multiple makes/models, so it's possible that pin 2's functionality is necessary for using this module in another make or model; (b) it may be a pin utilized during assembly and test of the module prior to integrating it into the vehicle, and/or it may be a pin utilized during diagnosis and test when the module is being diagnosed on the bench.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Here's the best pic of the top of the older module. I'm working on getting the schematic on paper - it's all through hole components so it's not that bad - though I get crossed eyed after awhile.

I'll try to get a lead on Cowtown - he spent some time on the design of his module.

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...e14841-top.jpg

Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

So, I was perusing my hard drive today and I came upon Cowtown's post that includes the BOM, schematic, and code for his module. I thought I had saved his post .......... anyway, in the post he mentions that he maked the info public and the usual statement for being exempt from liability, etc.

If anyone what's a copy, PM me.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

any luck with this? I am trying to trouble shoot my board as we speak and need any help I can to determine what parts need to be replaced. any idea on what it costs to have someone "rebuild" a unit?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

You can contact RL members Springer or Lorenfb - they make repairs to the module.

I can repair the unit at the price of the parts replaced, but you need to send it to me soon, I have a big project off-island end of April.

I haven't moved forward on designing a new module - the timing of the module isn't really an issue with me.

Quick Reply: reprogramming the spoiler