Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know anything about this 964 RS racecar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:31 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great read - thanks for sharing
Old 09-22-2013, 02:39 AM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Yep outstanding thread.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by preston_brown
...When that's done, I'm going to try to get the car to VIR this fall for some testing and to see how the suspension setup is as it currently stands.

I'm very excited to be working on the car again! It's a real survivor of a rather difficult period for Porsche and there aren't many cars like it. I found something special.
Yes definitely a special car! PM me if you ever need an extra hand.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Calling Preston?!

I just picked up my car this morning after having new tires and front brakes installed.

Lots of cool cars in the shop, especially this one...
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 AM
preston_brown
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some seriously good time is about to be put into this car. I'll post an update on its most recent progress very soon. Promise.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice meeting you at VIR Preston. Any updates on your car?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:34 AM
preston_brown
Instructor

Yes, an update is long overdue.

The last couple of years for me have been pretty complicated, and while I wanted to put more time into the car, I just haven't been doing so. You know how if you have a project that you aren't moving on, and it isn't essential for you to do so, sometimes you just look at the project and think, "I'll get to that soon?" Well that has been my relationship with the RSR.

However, I want to get off my *** and get the sucker running well.

The picture from back in April was when the car was at a local shop, where it received a badly needed alignment, and also I got some additional assistance with getting my MegaSquirt set up for initial fire-up. I was having a number of problems last Fall with my MS, and hope we have reached the end of the beginning. I had a cracked Crank Position Sensor bracket which wasn't helping matters. Also I definitely had some settings wrong. And I discovered that while I thought I had properly wired my Wideband O2 sensor, it wasn't getting power. I spent this past weekend remedying that situation, and making sure it had a good power source through an appropriate relayed circuit.

6 months ago I moved into a new house, and it came with a pretty much plain-jane 3 car garage. I immediately set to work fixing that! My girlfriend kind of thought I was nuts for doing work on the garage before touching any other part of the house, but hey... that's what we do, right? The solution: paint everything, heat and air conditioning to keep things comfortable, epoxy paint the floor, and add new high-lift garage doors. I've also treated myself to a lift this time, and while my "workshop space" is quite a bit tighter than it was in my old house, I also have better lighting.

So here's the RSR up on the lift:

Name:  IMG_20140714_103044.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  94.8 KB

As well as a picture of the obligatory Porsche logo on the back wall...

Name:  IMG_20140714_103102.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  49.9 KB

Hopefully I'll have this puppy fired up again in the next day or two. Honest.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Well, I have my UEGO / WBO2 sensor working, but suddenly I'm not getting spark. Argh, must have screwed up my wiring somehow. Tracing wiring isn't much fun but part of the list of chores.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Awesome garage setup, that's a big lift you crammed in there. I love my MaxJax but the clean install is very nice. What I really want is more stop points on the lift. My MaxJax only comes with two mechanical stopping points. I shouldn't spent the few extra hundred for the small bend pak.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:22 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

It's a pretty standard 3 car garage. 33' x 22' footprint. The ceiling is 13' heigh, and this is the MINIMUM needed for most lifts. We had to slightly notch some drywall wrapping a beam to get it to fit. It was really tight. Any less and it would either have had to be a MaxJax, or some other lift with a floor plate. I really didn't want a floor plate.

My garage door is a standard door, 7' high. But I had the tracks built to take it up to 10' when it is up. Also, I have a motor that mounts on the wall next to the door, it doesn't hang down from the ceiling at the end of the track, so that saves a lot of space. Definitely recommend that setup.

I put the posts about 12' from the door. I wanted to give enough clearance in front of the car (or behind the car-- when lifting the Porsche I do it in reverse because it's an asymmetrical lift and you want to have the center of gravity of the car centered on the posts) to walk and have tools, etc. Nonetheless, it is very tight. If I had been building the space from scratch I definitely would have made a deeper garage. I did not reinforce the concrete under the posts because my slab was poured densely enough not to require it.

I can get the car all the way up to full extension of the lift. Barely. With the giant trunk/boot lid open, it just clears my hanging fluorescent lamp fixture. But it does clear, and I can walk under my car without stooping. I'm 5' 11".
Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a nice setup. I can't get that height on my new garage w master suite above it per town building height restrictions. Annoying.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:41 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Finally! I had a problem with the spark output from the MegaSquirt. I was using the wrong wire off the main MS board instead of the MS3X expansion board. So it tried to run, but it really just didn't work. I couldn't understand it until I took everything all apart and started tracing wires and looking at the diagrams again very closely.

MegaSquirt is super flexible but the documentation is... well to say it was crappy would be unfair, but it is extremely disorganized and sometimes conflicting information is present. If someone wrote a real manual for the MS they could probably sell it on Amazon through on-demand publishing for a reasonable number of $$$.

Here's a quick startup video. Now the real setup and tuning can begin in earnest.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Well here's my September update.

I had more problems with the MS setup after I posted that first little clip. Kept loosing sync (meaning the computer doesn't know what's up with the position of the crank/cam), and just was having a ton of other minor issues. Busy with family, work, and other obligations, I finally decided I needed someone running the show who knows MegaSquirt well.

Enter Cody Forbes from GMP Performance in Charlotte, and whose father owns and runs Black Forest Racing in Denver. I had Cody come and collect the car 2 weeks ago so he could work on it. He has built many MegaSquirt cars and I knew after talking with him he would be a great person to work with.

Well, it has proved to be tricky, but it is starting to run smoothly at last. Loss of sync issues were fixed with changing some of the filtering settings in software, and then also adding a 10k ohm resistor to the crank position sensor wire. Also, when the engine was last installed, the alternator was not hooked up correctly, so the battery wasn't charging. Cody diagnosed and fixed that also, which is great. Here's what the car sounded like today:

More tuning to follow, but the light at the end of the tunnel is now visible. Now I can begin to concentrate on other aspects of the car!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:29 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

She is running quite well now.

Drivers' side door is off for aluminum repair after an unfortunate incident rolling the car backwards into my garage a few months ago...

There are a bunch of other things we are working on buttoning up and getting sorted but she is running better than she ever has since I've known her. Just listen to the roar of this motor!

Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds awesome!

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about this 964 RS racecar?