Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know anything about this 964 RS racecar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lima=Lichtmachine=alternator

Benzi=Benzin=Fuel / Druck = pressure

Getr=Getriebe=transmission (oil temp)

ABS= alleviates ballsy situations;-)

Cool car!!! What's up with the vacuum/ boost gauge....was the engine pressure fed at some point in time?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting car...does the PO not have a raft of info for you.

Like many here, I'd love to hear the story.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

I am with Geoffrey. I bet lurking under that bodywork is a 964 Cup. If that turns out to be the case then you scored.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm working on figuring out exactly what this thing is. I don't think it is a factory cup. Could be wrong, but don't think so. I'll get more information tomorrow or tonight -- haven't had time to get it off the trailer yet even.

There is some documentation from the PO but not nearly as much as I could have hoped for -- I'll go through that tonight too.

evoderby: thanks for the translations!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

The engine alone is worth what he paid. Here's the text from the original ad over on Pelican. The seller states it raced with 'Obermeyer' racing, I'm sure he meant Obermaier Racing GmbH which raced everything from RSRs, 935s, 964 Cups, to the 964 Turbo S LM-GT, to 956 & 962. Several top-10 Le Mans finishes. Historic pics of various Obermaier 964s are on the net and with the Wagenpass data we can probably locate some of this specific car.

This is probably its sibling which raced at Le Mans in 1993. It finished 22nd overall and 7th in class (GT). Obermaier called it a 'C2 Cup' but it ran Le Mans with a 3,8 liter engine.

And the Obermaier 964 LM GT from 1995.

1993 964 RSR clone. Originally raced in European GT series by Obermeyer Racing. Includes Wagenpass documenting participation and tech stickers from events still affixed to the dash. Roll cage includes Le Mans tech sticker (although never started race). Current engine is Euro GT series-spec 3.9 liter RSR with appropriate engine management flash upgrade. Carbon fiber intake with individual butterflies for each cylinder. 6-speed G50 with short gears. Fire system. Currently fitted with Recaro Pole Position seat. Porsche Racing-branded brake calipers. 380mm front rotors with floating hats and 355mm rear rotors from 964 RS fronts. Adjustable brake bias. Airjacks and wand. 2 sets of 9x18 and 11.5x18 magnesium centered BBS centerlock wheels. Wheels are mounted with Yokohama racing slicks. Spare set of rains unmounted. Various miscellaneous used tires with practice life left in them. Premier endurance fuel cell with triple redundant fuel pumps. Bodywork by DP Motorsports. Current bodywork includes 993 front clip.

Last edited by Ken D; 03-09-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, as the ABS ausschalter (push to kill) switch is in the right spot - don't see this very often at all.

Good pics of the cage would be a big help to determine if it is indeed factory Matter.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

OK! More pictures. and info. Let's see if we can figure this girl out.

1. Huge fuel cell.
2. Bunch of tech inspection stickers on the dash and on the roll bar
3. Triple(!?!?) fuel pumps
4. ITBs and 993 Motronic DME (at least, from all external appearances)
5. Bunch of weird stuff on the dash I don't quite get yet
6. Unhooked boost gauge and maybe turbocharger oil line?
7. Pauter rods on engine rebuild
8. 3.8 or 3.9L total displacement
9. twin oil coolers, which then feed brake ducts
10. Claimed 6 speed G50 but I seem to only be able to find 5 gears?
11. 2 sets of BBS magnesium center locks. Don't see any cracks but need to inspect more closely.
12. Engine looks to be in good shape / dry
13. What do people think about the roll cage? I think probably not OEM
14. What about the engine mounts?
15. The external nipple behind the right rear window leading to the canister on the rear passenger side...shocks?
16. Any other thoughts?

Pictures.

First album is from the seller:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10548...68183676348465

And these are ones I took this afternoon on the trailer.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10548...68412235399745

Here are some pics of the manuals I received -- the engine was rebuilt after a missed shift with Pauter rods, I know that at least...

https://plus.google.com/photos/10548...70825937837073
Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

The seller has also indicated to me that the chassis number may be 965006. But I have yet to find this.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

14 - Engine mounts look like factory solid engine mounts. Inspect them since they have a history of the ears breaking off. I always recommend to my customers to replace them with the EBS Racing solid mounts.

15 - That is the the reciptical for the air jacks.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Geoffrey: duh on the air jacks, but this is new stuff to me. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

3 - The fuel pumps probably have two pumps that run in parallel, and the third is likely a reserve pump if the tank has an internal reserve section.

4 - Likely started from a 993 RSR

5 - What weird stuff?

6 - The chassis has holes in locations where turbo equipment would have likely been installed, including access panels from the driver's compartment through the firewall to the engine. I'd say it definately had a turbo engine installed at one time.

9 - Actually, the air flows from the inside of the cooler to the outsite and then exits under the car. So, the air going to the cooling ducts for the brakes is clean air. Interesting that there is a cooler on the passenger side, then two on the driver's side. I'd also be interested in a close up of the brake ducts, they may be GT2 parts that attach to the GT2 upright.

10 - Get the transmission number off the bottom of the case G50/?? to see what it started out life as.

13 - The cage looks very factorylike. I think the welds look much better than the factory, but I'd like to see all of the mounting points to see if it was a factory cage. The air jacks are not in the factory location in the front, possibly due to the large fuel cell, and also, they are AP racing which the factory did not use. I like the AP racing ones better, but you'll fall on the floor if you have to rebuild them. I actually bought a new one as it was less expensive.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey. What kind of wheels are these and where could i find 4?

Glenn

i
Originally Posted by preston_brown
Car's here -- have to start figuring out what I've got this weekend. Thoughts on the gauge situation? My German is rusty.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

The wheels are BBS Magnesium Centerlocks. From what I can see, they are going to cost you at least about $1500 a wheel, new.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Geoffrey,

Thanks for the info. Here are my dash questions:
  1. What's the non-factory idiot light "Warning Light OL"? Big oil pressure warning?
  2. What's the light labeled "Warning Light R"?
  3. What's the light labeled "Clear Warning Light"?
  4. What's the red toggle button?
  5. What's the green ****?
  6. What't the **** next to the foglights for? I think something to do with the transmission?

The seller did tell me today that the car once had a turbo motor in it. From the writing on the oil line in the engine compartment, that must have been back in Germany.

It looks from the roll cage sticker that the car was actually campaigned by a team called "Team Oberbayerr". Am I reading that right? Does anyone know about that team? Or am I misreading it.

You are 100% right on how the oil coolers work on closer inspection. And the center intake feeds the tubes which feed the brake ducts.

Transmission number is G50752 - 005485

You are also right that the air jacks were installed after the car was imported to the USA.

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
3 - The fuel pumps probably have two pumps that run in parallel, and the third is likely a reserve pump if the tank has an internal reserve section.

4 - Likely started from a 993 RSR

5 - What weird stuff?

6 - The chassis has holes in locations where turbo equipment would have likely been installed, including access panels from the driver's compartment through the firewall to the engine. I'd say it definately had a turbo engine installed at one time.

9 - Actually, the air flows from the inside of the cooler to the outsite and then exits under the car. So, the air going to the cooling ducts for the brakes is clean air. Interesting that there is a cooler on the passenger side, then two on the driver's side. I'd also be interested in a close up of the brake ducts, they may be GT2 parts that attach to the GT2 upright.

10 - Get the transmission number off the bottom of the case G50/?? to see what it started out life as.

13 - The cage looks very factorylike. I think the welds look much better than the factory, but I'd like to see all of the mounting points to see if it was a factory cage. The air jacks are not in the factory location in the front, possibly due to the large fuel cell, and also, they are AP racing which the factory did not use. I like the AP racing ones better, but you'll fall on the floor if you have to rebuild them. I actually bought a new one as it was less expensive.
Attached Images     
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Any thoughts on the origin of the chassis/body from the number? I can't find any other numbers on the body.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about this 964 RS racecar?