Donington 2012 - UK trackday

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM
jamest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Selling, how come?
I have been mulling it over since the beginning of the year, I am just not using it - it's pretty much a garage ornament right now and I can't justify keeping it. I bought it two years ago with the intention of using it on road and track but 80% of the minimal miles I have done have been on track and I think I would be better off going back to a Caterham or such like. It pains me to get rid of it but work, young children and a new home mean it's not getting the attention it deserves right now so it seems sensible to sell up. That said, I change my mind on a weekly basis and it does make a very attractive garage ornament.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James, if you don't need the cash there's no need to worry about it being a garage ornament most of the time. It's not going to lose money while it sits there and in all likelihood will increase in value. Having it there ready to use with another dozen 964s at Donington and a road trip to Spa next year with a similar number is all you need to think about.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Never been in a Cater or Westy before....so will look forward to that.
Just committed to bringing the Westy tomorrow.....unless it's raining as I plan to set off in which case it'll be the 964!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Just committed to bringing the Westy tomorrow.....unless it's raining as I plan to set off in which case it'll be the 964!
Looking forward to it mate

Most of the garages should be available tomorrow but we might have to wait for the day lot to move out before we can grab a couple. There should be four of us in 964s plus your Westy.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
jamest
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
James, if you don't need the cash there's no need to worry about it being a garage ornament most of the time. It's not going to lose money while it sits there and in all likelihood will increase in value. Having it there ready to use with another dozen 964s at Donington and a road trip to Spa next year with a similar number is all you need to think about.
Steve, it's very tempting to keep it, it's such a special car and I love owning and driving it but it doesn't really suit my usage any more. I tend to use it mostly for trackdays, and whilst the 964 is a fun and capable track car, it's relatively expensive to run on track relative to something very light like a Caterham. A friend and I have been discussing buying an ex-race Caterham and a trailer between and us and sharing the cost of trackday entry fees and consumables which feels like the most sensible way forward.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I can see where you're coming from with that James. I'm looking forward tomorrow to having a lift round Donny in Grant's Westie to finally get the experience of those type of cars. However, in the five years I've been doing trackdays I can honestly say that I've never been tempted to go down the Caterfield type of route. And I've seen plenty of them and even more track focussed kit in that time.

For me trackdays are about the whole trip. Getting the 964 ready, driving it there (often stopping the night before), giving it the beans on track and then driving it home again. Almost always giving it a tap on the dashtop on the way home, congratulating and thanking the old girl, out loud, on how well she did today!

Out on track I love the feedback the car gives and how it moves around. it's plenty quick enough for my own ability. There are always plenty of drivers/cars faster than me on track and I'm happy to let them past and carry on enjoying the 964. I know if I took the car to the extreme (full strip out so that there's only paint and maybe some tuning for more power) it could be quicker. However, that would make the 'trip' more of a chore and tracking might start to get too serious, with the potential of me falling out with the 964. Hence I'm happy to keep it as it is. So for me, trackdays are not about driving on track, they're about driving the 964 on track.

Not trying to persuade you....just thought it would be worth writing down how we see things differently and have different outlooks on what we both enjoy doing.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:36 AM
jamest
Instructor

Steve, I agree with you on all counts, the 964 is the only car I have ever owned that I have had any real emotional attachment to - I love the challenge of driving it quickly and the event of driving it slowly. It’s not about going quick – when I say an ex-race Caterham, it will be a £10-13k car and likely only have between 125-140bhp, I certainly won’t be the quickest thing on track. Like you, I love the build-up, the car prep, the journey and the post track banter as much as driving on track itself. My problem is that I just don’t seem to be able to find the time to enjoy them the way I used to – blame two small children for that. Also, a UK track day can be a £700-800 day out in the 964 (entry fee, tyres, brakes, fuel, maintenance) whereas my old Caterham used to cost me just over half of that, mainly due to the fact that they are incredibly light on tyres and fuel, which means I can justify doing more of them. Anyway, I will probably change my mind again next week when the car returns from RPM Technik from its service, I’ll keep you posted, but for now, my place at Donington is up for grabs.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jamest
Steve, I agree with you on all counts, the 964 is the only car I have ever owned that I have had any real emotional attachment to - I love the challenge of driving it quickly and the event of driving it slowly. It’s not about going quick – when I say an ex-race Caterham, it will be a £10-13k car and likely only have between 125-140bhp, I certainly won’t be the quickest thing on track. Like you, I love the build-up, the car prep, the journey and the post track banter as much as driving on track itself. My problem is that I just don’t seem to be able to find the time to enjoy them the way I used to – blame two small children for that. Also, a UK track day can be a £700-800 day out in the 964 (entry fee, tyres, brakes, fuel, maintenance) whereas my old Caterham used to cost me just over half of that, mainly due to the fact that they are incredibly light on tyres and fuel, which means I can justify doing more of them. Anyway, I will probably change my mind again next week when the car returns from RPM Technik from its service, I’ll keep you posted, but for now, my place at Donington is up for grabs.
James, my 2P's worth is to keep the 964 if you can afford to, they're finally appreciating in value and it's hard to find a good'un out there......and I'd be hard pushed to let mine go (unlike the turbo which'd be first out the door even though on paper it's hte far superior car). If you can 'moth ball' it for a year or two and in the meantime find a reasonable Cater-field (as Boxsey puts it) then you really will have the best of both worlds.....or even buy a kit and build your own to your spec!

If you can't afford to keep the 964, then I can truly appreciate your chosen route for all the reasons you know and cite...it's a tough decision and I do not envy you......that's why I'm already indoctrinating my 2 year old boy into enjoying rides (down the drive) in Daddy's "broomy car(s)"....I may one day need all the help I can get to keep them!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

On the flip side for James, good 964 C2s like his are in so much demand at the moment that now could be a very good time to sell. £20K or more is very achievable. Bird in the hand and all that...

P.s. before anyone reads anything into the above....no, I'm not contemplating selling mine!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Jamest - shame man....seriously how can u consider selling a guards red C2......u know these are worth a significant premium......especially compared to white and heaven forbid ..........Black ones..........

keep it....and see u at Donington on the 7th......

ps: just locking in a puppy for the other half so kids dont force me to sell my car ........well for a few years yet at least..........
Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

A few of us at Donington last night!

More to follow
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

More pictures from our friend Mike who was snapping away on the night:

Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some nice pics there Steve

What was Grants Caterham like?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by freedman

Low, blue, very fast and not quite to Steve's taste in that he won't be selling his 964 for one!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by freedman

The Westy was great fun. Completely different level of accelerating, stopping and turning that I'm used. I think you have to be very confident to drive one quickly and a bit mad. Grant is both of those things.

He's right though. It's not for me because I'm not hard enough to drive one. A caterfield is all about low weight. A hardenend driver takes clothes off to keep the weight down whereas I was putting clothes on to keep warm! They also put in as little fuel in as possible to keep the weight down....this can mean that they run out of fuel before the session is over.

Here's the little beastie ready for an early bath

Anyway....enough of that non-964 nonsense! Here's me in the last session of the evening chasing Ian in his 964RS round the GP layout:

Quick Reply: Donington 2012 - UK trackday