Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise at ~ 3200 revs (Updated: Car Died with lots of noise and smoke)

Old 10-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Condolences from the middle east too! I'm currently annoyed that, without a loan, I can't immediately sort out my old tired suspension, broken AC, rattly soft-top and windows, torn drivers seat, loose steering etc. But your problem is so much worse and I can imagine how awful it must feel!

Just take comfort that you're a 964 guy who will, whenever you can, be 964'ing again. Versus the poor souls who think that old cars suck, or their Honda City is all they ever need to take them from A to B, or the VW Golf owners who think their car is the best on the planet...

I sincerely hope that something good will come out of this. I admire that you still keep your dignity instead of cursing the world and being overly spiteful
Old 10-04-2011, 11:18 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did I miss the download of what actually went wrong with your current motor? Last I read you were still looking for a detailed conversation with your mechanic..
Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, thems' the breaks I guess...!

Mech says its bottom end and rebuild will likely cost close to $15k! Advises buying a replacement engine. Advised me that swapping engines, flushing oil lines and other miscellaneous stuff would cost ~$2k out the door. (Luckily I use Jimmy Prountzos in Daly City, so I could not be in better hands or have someone who cares more about these cars and understands what my car means to me.)

So finding an affordable engine to put in the car until I can either begin rebuilding the original engine or can afford to send it to a rebuilder is going to be the real issue now. Unless I can find a cheap price on a rebuild that will take a few months and give me time to budget.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howard,

Your mechanic told you 15K without opening the motor to check for damage?

Is there external visible damage?

Jim
Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

No external damage visible apparently. I know he's had a few clients recently who have needed rebuilds and have ended up spending a lot more than budgeted. He is warning me that I would need to budget up to 15k for a rebuild vs. cheaper route of engine replacement.

I spoke to a couple of rebuilders myself and they are talking $8-12k for the rebuild, add in the cost of labor to pull/reinstall the engine, fix any other related damage, unexpected surprises etc and I can see why he is saying this.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I spoke to a couple of rebuilders myself and they are talking $8-12k for the rebuild, add in the cost of labor to pull/reinstall the engine, fix any other related damage, unexpected surprises etc and I can see why he is saying this.
Did you call / talk with Tom Amon ?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

No Indy, where is he at?
Old 10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No external damage visible apparently. I know he's had a few clients recently who have needed rebuilds and have ended up spending a lot more than budgeted. He is warning me that I would need to budget up to 15k for a rebuild vs. cheaper route of engine replacement.

Rebuilds can certainly get out of control.

The car I mentioned earlier which spun a bearing did not damage the heads, case, cylinders, etc.

He located a used crankshaft and rods. He is using the original pistons, cylinders, case, and heads.

He is in the 8- 10k range. He decided to rebuild the motor vs. buying a used motor which would have been in the same price range.

Used motors can be a huge risk. You could end up with the same outcome. At least with the overhaul--you know what you have.

Either way the motor needs to come out. Maybe start there and have your mechanic remove the motor. Break it down and inspect. You may be able to use some of the major components.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

No Indy, where is he at?
Looks like he comes to you...http://www.mobileworkswest.com/Porsche_Services.html

Sorry to hear about all this....everything will be sorted eventually.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Used motors are a risk as suggested - you may trade one issue for another.

Yes, rebuilds can get expensive (mine from last winter cost $18k) but then you have a solid, known entity you can reliably keep for years to come.

I'd vote to pay to drop the engine, have the mechanic open it and see what the true damage is and only then can you plan for a rebuild. Park it until you can budget to do it right rather than waste money on another engine as a quick fix.

I feel your pain as I went through this last fall when I found that chunk of valve spring on the oil drain-plug magnet and worried about the cost and what the best course of action was.

Marc
p.s. You can borrow mine as I won't be driving it for the next few months of winter.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would agree that used motors are a risk unless you can perform compression/leakdown tests and see it runs.

Suppose you bought a motor for 8K. Install would be 2K. If that motor requires a top end rebuild, it would be 4K. Now you're looking at 14K.

It is a tough spot you're in. So why not do this...sell the car and put it toward another 964/993 or a Turbo. Make lemonade when life gives you lemons.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for this, but....

I talked to a couple knowledgeable guys in the Bay Area yesterday, one has been servicing a close friends cars for 30 years. He recently sent a customers engine to Motormeister and had a very positive experience...

So in spite of the negative press, I gave Motormeister a call last night. They spent a ton of time on the phone talking me through the process for a rebuild. So far this seems like the cheapest viable option.

Getting the engine rebuilt in Northern CA: $12-15k, Putting in a new engine, with high mileage: $7-10k, Southern CA complete rebuild: ~$6k.

Has anyone had a decent experience with motormeister here? I'm scared after what I have read, but the dialogue I had with them was the first encouraging news.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out PelicanParts 911 forum. There are many cases about MotorMeister.

Even with the rebuild...you made plans on cleaning the oil cooler & lines? Metal schrapnels in them from the bad engine can easily ruin the new one.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:36 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are quick, there is a great deal on a used motor on Pelican P, today!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you *really* are considering motorscheisster, do I have a bridge to sell you!

Seriously, are you totally insane?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise at ~ 3200 revs (Updated: Car Died with lots of noise and smoke)