Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burned by Auto Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:21 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

exactly wachuko noone is perfect 100% of the time, but how you resolve the issue when it does happen is the most important!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:06 PM
braol
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoAtlanta
We have recently been having trouble with shipping as our manager of shipping No-Called-No-Showed on us for 4 straight days and it is hard to work when you are a man down. Not trying to make an excuse, as it should not have happened regardless.
That's so classic I almost fell over: "Here's our lame excuse....oh, but we're not trying to make an excuse."

I can't remember the last time our shipping manager ever packed up a box and mailed it to someone. If a manager at Wal-Mart took a sick day do you think they'd close the whole store? C'mon!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I have also had similar experiences with Auto Atlanta and have decided not to use them anymore. Out of 4 transactions, 0 went as expected.

I order everything I can from Pelican. The service is impeccable. They will make it right no matter what. For example:

Back in 1997, I was selling a 914 and the guy test driving it had a head gasket blow and drove it back to me with a huge hole burned in the head. He was still ready to buy but I needed a new 1.7L head ASAP. I called Wayne and he overnited the part while the purchaser slept on my couch. I paid $50 shipping (gas was cheaper then I guess). The head arrived and it didn't fit as it was a 1.8L head. I immediately got on the phone to Wayne and he said...oops! He then overnited me the correct part, at his cost, and paid extra for Saturday delivery. That's service!

So, it's not being perfect that makes a company a pleasure to do business with. It IS admitting fault, and making the customer happy....no matter what.

-Mark
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Mark!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:46 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by braol
That's so classic I almost fell over: "Here's our lame excuse....oh, but we're not trying to make an excuse."

I can't remember the last time our shipping manager ever packed up a box and mailed it to someone. If a manager at Wal-Mart took a sick day do you think they'd close the whole store? C'mon!
As I said, it's no excuse, but the "shipping manager" basically IS the shipping department. We have 8 employees and two of them are in shipping. It is difficult when your shipping department is cut in half. We had to have salespeople (ie. ME) in shipping trying to get packages out to our customers. I think that people imagine us to be much larger than we really are.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Really problems like this come from a lack of good communication with your customers. I have found even if things don't go like planned as long as you keep them in the loop with regular contact, even an email letting them know what is going on they are much less agitated when things go wrong.

It is when they don't hear anything or get mis-information or contradictory people get mad. Even when all is well and they don't hear anything or know what is going they get mad.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:04 AM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Makmov
Really problems like this come from a lack of good communication with your customers. I have found even if things don't go like planned as long as you keep them in the loop with regular contact, even an email letting them know what is going on they are much less agitated when things go wrong.

It is when they don't hear anything or get mis-information or contradictory people get mad. Even when all is well and they don't hear anything or know what is going they get mad.
That is a great point, and it is one of the major items we are working on right now. We are attempting to streamline the order fulfillment section of the business, and there are a few hoops to jump through, but we are confident that it will improve drastically in the near future.

We are also working on the communication side of things with a bit more transparency than we previously had. There are several steps of the order process, and when an order progresses to the next step, the customer will be informed.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the Shipping Manager was told to stay on his vacation. Serisouly, not showing up for 4 days. Wow!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:48 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

yes, he was asked to not come back. We have actually replaced him with someone who is much more efficient, (promoted from within), and we still need to replace the replacement's position.

Things are changing for the better here in Marietta, GA. Mostly thanks to our great employees, but we are being dragged down by a couple large albatrosses around our collective neck...mainly the decrepit old building we operate out of, and partly the man who owns it...
Old 05-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoAtlanta
but we are being dragged down by a couple large albatrosses around our collective neck...mainly the decrepit old building we operate out of, and partly the man who owns it...
Saving for future reference....

Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Hawaii964
2nd Gear

I am also getting burned by AutoAtlanta. My own fault. I read this thread and decided to chance ordering a hard to get part. Communication from AutoAtlanta says a week later that the item is backordered and no ETA. i try to cancel my order and they say the parts are ready to ship. This is ongoing and I am anticipating a long delayed wait. Wait and see. Should have heeded the warnings. don't deal with AutoAtlanta.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I should mention I recently sent a FedEx letter to Atlanta from CT and it did cost me more than the $25 I stated in my first post, it was closer to $40 with a fuel surcharge.

Last edited by SuperUser; 07-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Chunkyd65
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
I know and can understand why a lot of us use Pelican and Sunset (me too!), but I've recently had extremely good service and pricing from my local Porsche dealer. They frequently (a) have the part I need in stock (and with no shipping charge); and (b) their prices often match Pelican's. And with the 10% discount they offer all PCA members, I'm way ahead. Just an fyi.
+1... I have been going to my local Porsche dealer, show them the Sunset or Pelican price.. They over night it for free, pick it up the next day by lunch...

Last edited by Chunkyd65; 07-12-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:20 PM
flytech78
Advanced

i use www.germanautoparts.com there great......
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chunkyd65
+1... I have been going to my local Porsche dealer, show then the Sunset or Pelican price.. They over night it for free, pick it up the next day by lunch...
Interesting...guaranteed overnight shipping from Porsche's distribution centers (Atlanta, Ontario CA, and Easton, PA) costs the dealership 20% or $20, whichever is more...

Quick Reply: Burned by Auto Atlanta