Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jealous Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

what is the difference? one guy one day one car with those results. they tested it enough for me, but I don't drag race my car anyway.

you just asked where did that number come from so I posted it
Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 PM
rarebear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even 5 flat is great for an old car like the 964...just read the test of the Lambo Avantador
12cyl 700bhp. doing 3.4, but it costs 550k usd. I am proud of my 964. with 251000 km on the clock
Old 05-13-2011, 05:02 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
what is the difference? one guy one day one car with those results. they tested it enough for me, but I don't drag race my car anyway.
The difference probably lies in how abusive they were to the clutch... I think most car rags at the time quoted a 5.0-5.3 second time, simply because they didn't rev to 5k and drop the clutch.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:06 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

exactly stinky

one guy one day one burnt clutch.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get jealous drivers around here, especially not of a 20 year old car that costs 1/2 the price of a BMW 130. People look out of curiosity/admiration for a car well kept. but thats it...
Old 05-15-2011, 10:29 AM
TNR911
Rennlist Member

It was really interesting to read this thread. Living in NJ I've never come across this kind of issue. It's common to see 911's and other truly exotic cars here. However, I do need to drive down to MD/DC several times a year for business. When there it seems every Vette, rice rocket, or muscle car owner seems spoiling to show me what's what. They seem to prefer the speed up, brake, speed up method followed by a sideways ignorant grin. I just smile. Nothing to be gained in responding. I do think it is envy, ignorance and a kind of everyman against the world feeling. I'm sure they are all nascar fans.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

'nuff said
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 PM
braol
Advanced

The Prius drivers are the worst...driving slow everywhere but racing you from the light. So much for saving the environment.

Echoing all the Maryland drivers sentiments, I lived in DC for three years and never saw worse drivers in my life. They tailgate EVERYBODY, not just 911's. Here in San Diego we have miles of freeways and average one fatal accident a month. In MD there were fatal accidents ALL THE TIME and the highway would slow to a crawl due to accidnts almost daily.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle
Don't get jealous drivers around here, especially not of a 20 year old car that costs 1/2 the price of a BMW 130. People look out of curiosity/admiration for a car well kept. but thats it...
+1

Although, thats not to say I would LOVE to challenge a 348 Ferrari on the track

Or am i the only one?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 PM
TNR911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by braol
The Prius drivers are the worst...
+1 The stupidity of Prius drivers is breath taking and not only when it comes to driving. They drive this car to "save the environment" but are blithely oblivious of the massive carbon footprint it takes to manufacture the car. Build the batteries in china, ship them to various parts of the world to be assembled in the car ... Etc. It's takes at least seven years of 40+ mpg driving to recover the energy to make the car. Clearly this is a major pet peeve for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:41 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TNR911
It was really interesting to read this thread. Living in NJ I've never come across this kind of issue. It's common to see 911's and other truly exotic cars here. However, I do need to drive down to MD/DC several times a year for business. When there it seems every Vette, rice rocket, or muscle car owner seems spoiling to show me what's what. They seem to prefer the speed up, brake, speed up method followed by a sideways ignorant grin. I just smile. Nothing to be gained in responding. I do think it is envy, ignorance and a kind of everyman against the world feeling. I'm sure they are all nascar fans.
I travel to MD/DC a lot also but have never experienced that in either the 911 (when I had it) or any of the NSX's I've owned. But it prob depends where in the DC area. Im usually in the N.VA area and that area makes NY/NJ/NE PA seem like the ghetto. Last time I was at Tysons galleria a few weeks back I saw a Lexus LFA just parked at the mall.

Agree on NY/NJ/PA though. Porsche is too common here to attract too much out of the ordinary attention.

I went from a Vette, to an NSX, then to a new NSX, then to a really nicely setup 911, then to a very heavily modified NSX. The NSX, esp my current one, gets a tremendous amount of attention just because it is unusual so people either want to figure out what it is, or they know what it is and are excited to see it.

In the 911, I did get a lot of "woah, NICE Porsche man!", thumbs ups, etc (aerokit, nice wheels, clean car, tend to do that) and I found that these were good opportunities to be friendly and chat a bit, give a thumbs up back, etc.

On the road, I think a lot of drivers are just a-holes in general. I am sure a lot of this stuff happens in the daily driver also (esp tailgating, jerkoff pickup truck drivers, etc), but in the daily driver it goes either unnoticed or the focus is on the person being a jerk rather than the person being "envious".
Old 05-15-2011, 02:11 PM
TNR911
Rennlist Member

To each their own experiences ...
Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mlambert890
I travel to MD/DC a lot also but have never experienced that in either the 911 (when I had it) or any of the NSX's I've owned. But it prob depends where in the DC area. Im usually in the N.VA area and that area makes NY/NJ/NE PA seem like the ghetto. Last time I was at Tysons galleria a few weeks back I saw a Lexus LFA just parked at the mall.

Agree on NY/NJ/PA though. Porsche is too common here to attract too much out of the ordinary attention.

I went from a Vette, to an NSX, then to a new NSX, then to a really nicely setup 911, then to a very heavily modified NSX. The NSX, esp my current one, gets a tremendous amount of attention just because it is unusual so people either want to figure out what it is, or they know what it is and are excited to see it.

In the 911, I did get a lot of "woah, NICE Porsche man!", thumbs ups, etc (aerokit, nice wheels, clean car, tend to do that) and I found that these were good opportunities to be friendly and chat a bit, give a thumbs up back, etc.

On the road, I think a lot of drivers are just a-holes in general. I am sure a lot of this stuff happens in the daily driver also (esp tailgating, jerkoff pickup truck drivers, etc), but in the daily driver it goes either unnoticed or the focus is on the person being a jerk rather than the person being "envious".
This mirrors my experience...I lived in NOVA for my entire life (Tysons Corner to be exact) before moving to Pittsburgh last year, and yeah, nobody is going to notice or (typically) care about your 964 on the road, save for maybe the very occasional enthusiast. Take a 20-30 mile drive down I-66 or the Dulles Toll Road on a summer weekend and you'll see more nice cars than most of the "meets" I've been to elsewhere in the country (certainly Pittsburgh included, where the 964 gets TONS of unwanted, negative attention...). Soccer moms drive their kids to practice in Panameras down there, and nobody even thinks twice about it. Some people certainly can be ******** on the road down there, but it aint because of the car...

I can't speak for MD/DC however, I always avoided crossing the bridge(s) whenever possible
Old 02-19-2017, 05:44 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Bump, was out in CT because the weather was so nice in my Miami Blue .2... Oh the amount of hate from angry suburbanites.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by sexfiend
Bump, was out in CT because the weather was so nice in my Miami Blue .2... Oh the amount of hate from angry suburbanites.
Where in Ct? There are many of us around ff county.

Quick Reply: Jealous Drivers?