Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Becker GAL Signal

I fitted a Becker Indianspolis Pro some time back and it's excellent - Radio, iPod, Bluetooth for phone, Sat-nav, etc. etc.

However, I've always had one small problem with it, and it relates to the GAL (speed-dependent volume) operation.

Although not a biggie, no matter what I did with all of the settings, I could never get it to work.

I have the GAL threshold set to 1 (most sensitive, i.e. volume should start increasing at a fairly low speed), the speed sensor seems to be working okay (it will count wheel revolutions when in the test mode) and the GAL feature itseld is turned on (the way 'on' or 'off' highlights, it can be difficult to tell which is actually selected but that's another story).

But... while idly fiddling with a few things today, as you do, I came across a system menu I hadn't accessed before. In that menu (and not mentioned in any of the three instruction booklets I have) was a setting called 'GAL filter' which was off. It's now on. :-)

As my car is temporarilly stuck in the garage (there's a car in front of it with some wheels off: new tyres tomorrow), I just wondered if anyone had come across this and what exactly it does as I can't test it at the moment.

Also, if anyone's successfully got the GAL working on one of these units, I presume it will increase the volume of all sound sources - the instructions only mention radio, but I assume that's just slightly sloppy translation. Anyone know for sure?

Ta.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How did you get to the system menu? I just installed a Indianapolis in my car, I can probably play around with it in the next few days. The only setting I have seen is the threshold setting.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:50 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well you know there's the menu you get to by pressing Navi twice, the other one you find by pressing Sound twice and yet another that (when in 'Radio' IIRC) you find by pressing buttons 3 and 5 (I think that's the one where you turn the GAL on)? Well the 'new' one I just found is by pressing Navi and button #10 at the same time. It's mainly info (serial number and so on) but also has a test sequence for the display pixels and this mysterious 'GAL filter' setting.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Some of what I said there isn't quite right.
Having just checked it all over, here are the five menus:

a. Press & hold Sound.
Gal Number, Tel Mute/Audio Sig (can't fathom what the difference between those settings is - the sound source mutes when there's a call on either setting - any idea?), Lum (brightness), LED, mono/stereo, Nav (only/mixed/indep), Aux, Compass, Beep volume

b. Press Navi twice.
Save position, Language (& male/female), Animation, Units, ETA announcement, ETA calculation method, Speed limit display, Time info (what is dispalyed in the 'clock' area), Time

c. Press Navi plus button #10.
Various bits of information and tests, including GAL-filter on/off

d. In Radio mode, press #1 & #10.
Sensor test

e. Press Navi twice, then #3 & #5.
GPS Info, Calibration, Calibration Ride, Module Test, Sensors, GAL signal on/off (press and HOLD to store selection), Speech test, Demo, Version

Edit: Make that six menus:

f. Press Tel twice: TP traffic bulletins (on/off, station selection, volume).
Old 02-16-2011, 04:49 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Not the most user-friendly set of menus when it comes to either accessing them or saving the selections: some you just select, others you must press and hold.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:05 PM
gsteen1117
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,

I will install a similar Becker Cascade Pro soon in one of my 964's.
Can you please advice me on how and where you picked up the GAL signal from the car to connect it onto the Becker unit?
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards,
Guy
Bruges, Belgium
Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hi, Guy.

Well I hooked it up to a wire at the back of the speedo. Pretty sure it was orange and white. BUT, in spite of the fact that the unit recognises and responds to the signal (one of the test functions shows it counting nominal wheel revolutions when it's working), my unit has always refused to translate that into altering the volume at all.

I tried several other wires too, but they either gave no signal, or temporarilly disabled the speedo, and none of them resulted in a change in volume. :-(

I still have it hooked up as it assists the nav when it cannot see a satelite, for example.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
gsteen1117
6th Gear

John,
Thank you for your reply.
Will try to do the project next month.
I hope you can find the solution to make it work all 100% correct! And please let us know if you do so.
Did you connect a reverse signal (from gearbox or light cluster) as well?
Also I remember reading your article (here or in a magazine) about your replacement door speakers with a very satisfying result. Do you mind to remember here which speakers you installed?
Thank you in advance!
Guy
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yes, I took the reverse signal from a rear light. I have given up with the GAL really. The unit's test functions seem to show everything working correctly in that respect, but it refuses to change the volume. I think the unit itself has a bug or fault.

Speakers: the fronts were Boston Acoustics that fit behind the OE grilles, and the rears are by Infinity and also fit under the stock grilles.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
gsteen1117
6th Gear

Thank you John,
Once I completed my install, I will let you know if I get volume change with my Cascade Pro, that should confirm if your unit has a bug or fault.
Best regards,
Guy
Old 09-03-2012, 02:28 PM
YRK
3rd Gear

Hi all,

New member here

I have installed an Indianapolis in my 968 Cabriolet and am struggling to complete the calibration. I have not connected up the speed signal or the reverse signal but I have attached the GPS antenna in a good place so am constantly showing around 8 SATs.

I have been driving around on 2 separate occasions for around 20-25 minutes each time but the Calibration never seems to complete. Question is, will it ever complete the way I have it set up or does it need to speed and reverse signals connected up to complete the calibration?

Many thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Steve, it is a good while since I did mind but I do seem to remember that it needed the reverse signal. I was concerned that the direction of travel (in testing mode) arrows on mine seemed to point the wrong way, so I recall disconnecting the reverse input. If I recall correctly, it wouldn't calibrate.

Also, if you have not got the GAL connected, you will probably need to turn off the GAL setting altogether if you have not already done so, and assuming you found that menu.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:20 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The calibration is very quick, by the way. Regardless of what directions you drive, it should take only a minute or two at most.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 AM
YRK
3rd Gear

Many thanks John for your quick reply! I will have a play around with it. Thinking of getting an auto electrician involved to complete the install. Re the menus, I can see the GAL filter on/off in (c) but I don't appear to have the GAL signal on/off in (e) when accessing the menus. It's a great unit though. Much better than the Mexico Pro it replaced.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 AM
YRK
3rd Gear

I forgot to mention actually is that when I was using the original old map cd the calibration did seem to work fine (within 5 mins). I have since updated the system with a v7 cd which is why I'm going through the calibration again. Might go out for one more long drive

Quick Reply: Becker GAL Signal