Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge reads zero for a bit after start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure gauge reads zero for a bit after start up

My car is a 93 C2 (RSA). About 2 weeks ago, I started it up to move it out of the garage so I could work on my race car in its spot. The 911 had sat for maybe 3 weeks. When I started it, the oil pressure gauge stayed down at zero reading so I then shut the car down after about 15 seconds out of fear (panic is a better word) of a problem. The car sounded normal while it was running. So I restarted it and the same thing happened. The oil pressure light went out immediately as it should. I didn't touch the throttle, just let it idle. I paid close attention this time to the sound of the engine, the sound of oil gurgling in the lines on the passenger side as it always does, all normal sounds. No sounds of oil starvation (clatter, etc). The car sounded like a car getting plenty of oil. But I shut it down again after about 20 seconds because the pressure gauge still read zero. I looked underneath the engine, tank, etc to see if there was any sign of a blown oil line, etc. All looked fine. So I started it again and waited. Same symptoms and then the needle on the pressure gauge jumped up to the top as it should with cold oil. BTW, the oil is Brad Penn 10w40 and has less than 500 miles on it.

Fast forward two weeks later. This morning I had to drive it to work because my truck was acting up. It did the same thing this morning (the car has sat since the day I described above). Oil pressure needle stays at zero but oil pressure light immediately goes out. Car sounds normal. I can hear oil gurgling in the lines, etc. After the car warmed up thoroughly, I let it sit and checked the oil LEVEL gauge. It shows plenty of oil in the tank.

I don't think I have an oil pressure problem in the engine based on the oil pressure light going out after startup. But I'm very nervous anytime there is a possibility of an oil pressure problem. Is it a pressure sender or maybe the gauge? It's almost as if it is taking some time for something to suddenly switch open based on the fact that after 30-60 seconds it will suddenly jump up to the top.

Where is the oil pressure gauge sender located? Is it different than the sender for the oil pressure light?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Its sounds like your pressure sender is not working properly or you have a loose wire on it. The pressure sender is located on the top of the engine block, near the firewall. You can see it if you remove the air cleaner housing.

Edit: The oil idiot light and pressure gauge use the same sender.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Since I don't start my car often, I pull the DME and keep the starter going until the pressure builds first and then put the DME back and start the car. Sometimes it takes a while.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

On my vangon I will look down at the speedo sometimes and find that I am not moving .
I tap the side and I rocket from 0-60 in under a second .

I need to pull the speedo out and clean the needle and its rest and cla the bearings .
Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg,

Call me. 817-251-1887 I just finished a rebuild on my engine- I missed a shift at Road America and bent some valves. There could be 3 reasons for this: 1)Bad Sender 2)stuck dash gauge 3)stuck oil pressure relief springs- none of which are a real problem idling the car. If the sender light went out it means you have more than 8 psi of oil pressure which is fine.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You and Steve can change that sender in an hour or so with a stubby wrench, or remove the housing with the two 10mm nuts and pull the whole assembly straight up. The sender assembly is located on the top front right side of the engine. There are three wires connected to the assembly- two for the pressure sender, and one for the idiot light. The sender and the idiot light both screw into the aluminum housing. You can reach in there, but it's tight, and taking the airbox off can help.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM
TR6
Drifting

Hi Keith. Sorry to hear about the bent valves. I appreciate the info on the sender. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. But I drove it this morning and the oil pressure needle jumped up instantly as it should, so maybe it was just sticking from lack of use or something. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge reads zero for a bit after start up